Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement – I Am Sew Happy!

January 14, 2011

MCM Home Improvement – I Am Sew Happy!

By Sablemable aka Jan

I come from a long line of women who were born clutching a silver needle between their fingers.  I, on the other hand, ended up with a rusty needle.  But I do like sewing and I am determined to make a few things for my home.

First and foremost, I need fabric, retro-style fabric, and I started my search online, where I was amazed at the selection.

Our dear friend and devoted reader, Andrea, has a fantastic little shop in Wetaskiwin, Alberta called  Sew What (www.sewwhatfabrics.ca).  Here are some of my favorites from her store.

From Moda, Panache is a paisley print that costs $8.00 per one-half meter.  Sorry, gang, I’m not good at the metric system, but I think it comes out to about 20 inches American.  Sara!  A throw pillow from this would look great with your green armless sofa!

From the Alexander Henry line, Light Bright runs $8.50 per one-half meter.   This is definately Sixties psychodelic and would look great made into curtains.

Next up is fabric from Fabrics USA (www.fabricsusa.com).

High Tea by the Michael Miller line is $9.99 a yard and screams Fifties kitchen curtains.

J&O Fabrics (www.jandofabrics.com) has a lot of vintage fabrics to choose from.

For the kitchen, pattern Gourmet Grocery Cherries in ivory is $8.98 a yard.  This print was used a lot in the Forties, but if your home was built in the early Fifties, this would look smashing in a red and white decor.

Also, from J&O Fabrics is this barkcloth beauty.  50’s Mambo is the pattern and comes in black.  The price per yard is $19.99.

Looking for chickens?  Harts Fabric (www.hartsfabric.com) has this darling print in gray at $9.49 per yard.  This would also look great in a red and white kitchen.

Now for the showstopper – Spoonflower (www.spoonflower.com) has so far the largest selection of retro/vintage fabrics that I have discovered.  Take a look at a few samples.

Retro Blue is an atomic pattern at $18.00 per yard.

Retro has a white background with a dominate black atomic pattern.  It also costs $18.00 per yard.

This pattern, 50s Fabric9 is a classic mid-century modern design.  The fabric is also $18.00 per yard.

Tell us about your  favorite fabric store that sells retro design material, Readers!

The end.

9 Responses to MCM Home Improvement – I Am Sew Happy!

1. A Retro Remedy Reply

January 14, 2011 at 9:53 am

I LOVE the fabrics at Tonic Living ( tonicliving.com). So many fantastic retro prints to choose from. And for my work – which utilizes scraps and up-cycling – I love her “primo pieces” and “scrappy scraps” which are sold by weight.

Have fun shopping and sewing!

January 14, 2011 at 10:38 am

OMG, A Retro Remedy! I just visited Tonic Living’s site and you’re correct; lots of neat-o MCM fabrics! I really liked the Boomerang Beat and Hi Fi fabrics!

Good show! Thanks so much!

3. Annie B. Reply

January 14, 2011 at 5:44 pm

There’s so much great fabric out there that I don’t know where to start. I do know that won’t be threading a needle any time soon; I’ve not sewn a stitch in years (and wasn’t that good at it back then).

Fortunately, I have a host of super-creative friends who are presently into quilting. My secret agenda is to coax one of them into making me something out of some of this fabulous retro fabric.

Hmmm……maybe even I could sew a tablecloth? Napkins?

Thanks for the inspiration, Sable!!! Love these patterns. Retro White tears me outa the frame.

January 14, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Annieeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! LOL, I did okay in home ec back in the 7th grade because Mom had already taught me the basics. But I haven’t touched a pattern since then (1966) and I’m a bit scared of cutting the cloth and making a b-i-g mistake.

“Hey super creative friends! Please make Annie something in her choice of retro fabric!”

Think they heard me, Annie?

January 14, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I know Sable, I do need some pillows for the green couches! The Tonic Living fabric reminds me of the post I did on Diamondhead Fabrics – love that barkcloth! Great post Sable, it gives me a bunch of ideas!

January 14, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Personally I adore the Panache fabric and vow to incorporate it somewhere in this house.

January 17, 2011 at 12:48 am

Wow! I am so behind in my blog reading, I didn’t see this post until now! Thanks so much for featuring my store!

January 17, 2011 at 11:09 am

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! I love your store! Don’t be surprised if I order from you soon!

9. Annie B. Reply

January 17, 2011 at 11:31 am

Keep shoutin’, Sable! Please! Louder! Someone is bound to hear you.