Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement – Interior Shutters

January 28, 2011

MCM Home Improvement – Interior Shutters

By Sablemable aka Jan

A lot of people may think of interior shutters as more Early American or Colonial decor, but I have always liked the looks of them; my parents’ home had them in every room and they seemed to go well with whatever decorating style you wanted.  Yes, Mom and Dad lived in a MCM house built in 1961.  The original owners had them put up, albeit they decorated Early American, even adding a Franklin fireplace, but Mom did her decor in a more traditional style.

And you all know my tale of woe with the rustic looking stone fireplace in my living room and how I wish I had the money to rip it out.  Alas, I have decided instead to bite the bullet and live with it and I think the addition of shutters will help greatly and go well with the vintage Danish furniture I want.

From one of my decorating magazines from 1963, here is an image of a living room with interior shutters.

From my 1967 Spring/Summer Spiegel catalog, here are the shutter styles, unfinished that they had for sale.

The standard version

Shutters with beaded detail

Shutters with inserts, to add your personal touch with fabric.

I like the standard style the best and I do believe I will put them on every window in my house.

Next week, we’ll discuss wood stain colors for the shutters and the trim in my house.  I’ll need your input, readers!

8 Responses to MCM Home Improvement – Interior Shutters

1. Annie B. Reply

January 28, 2011 at 10:46 am

Oh, Sable. This post brings back memories of the shutters in the house my parents built in 1964. They were the “Standard Version” and were used all throughout the house. Love this post.

Interior shutters are wonderful on many levels and so mid-mod. We used a pair of large, louvered bi-fold closet doors we found at a yard sale as the treatment for our sliding glass front door.

My husband created a frame around the door/window and hung the “shutters” (on little casters) so they could be closed completely – both or just one – or folded back against the frame to create a “picture window”. They’re painted to match the walls of the living room and really look great, in my opinion.

If they weren’t so pricey, I’d have shutters all over the house. I like their clean, angular, modern look.

January 28, 2011 at 10:57 am

Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! Your doors sound wonderful! I have louvered doors at my ’58 ranch that separate the kitchen from the living room.

I know the shutters are expensive, but I’ll have to take them room at a time. At least housekeeping will be easier in that respect – no dry cleaning bills for the draperies!

3. Annie B. Reply

January 28, 2011 at 11:26 am

Now, that really IS mid mod to have those bi-folds as a room divider, Sable.

I’ll have to save my pennies for shutters as I just love them. I love the way you can adjust the amount and the angle of interior light. And, so easy to clean: no dry cleaning or machine washing involved.

January 28, 2011 at 11:35 am

I love, love, love interior shutters. My Mom always put them in our rooms growing up and there is just something about them that I like. I can remember her taking them out in the yard and hosing them off at high power to get all of the dust off before repainting them. Those suckers are real dust collectors. Pretty dust collectors though! Cats love to play with them too. 🙂

5. Barbara Reply

January 28, 2011 at 11:57 am

Why rip out your fireplace? You can reface them pretty easily. How about a picture or two?

I have to say I’m not a shutter fan, but everyone has their thing!

January 28, 2011 at 12:23 pm

What is this about a problem fireplace???? I don’t remember you mentioning this before. Maybe I just forgot?

It seems like I see the “Standard” shutter all the time in the 50s/60s houses we look at. I know they must have been popular. I totally remember my Grams having these too!

7. Inky Reply

January 28, 2011 at 2:05 pm

We have shutters in almost every room in our house except the living and dining rooms. We inherited them when we bought the house. I love the look, but they’re real dust collectors. Once a year I take them outside, spray them with simple green and hose them off (luckily they’re painted with oil-base paint). The remainder of the year, I dust with a microfiber cloth.

January 28, 2011 at 4:14 pm

LOL, maybe I’m losing my marbles as I was sure I had mentioned the fireplace!

It was installed by the 2nd owners and it is of rock and looks more rustic than MCM. It’s also fired by natural gas, which isn’t a problem. I hate it.

Barbara, I started looking into refacing it, but didn’t get far. Yes, maybe next week I’ll post some photos of it.

Eartha! LOL @Mom hosing them down!!!