Home » Decade » 1940 » Postcards From WWII Soldiers

January 31, 2011

Postcards From WWII Soldiers

By RetroRuth

Okay, okay, this time it is for real.  I am really going through my Grandpa’s stuff, and I am going to cut it down. I am going to sell stuff, throw stuff away and organize what is left.

For real this time.

Dole Fields001

So I grabbed a box at random from the 20 boxes in my basement this weekend, and started digging with purpose, just like the guy on this postcard (from Dole Fields in Hawaii).

Paris 001

And in one of many, many envelopes, I found this small collection of vintage postcards. (Paris)

Portrait001

All of them (I think) are from soldiers in WWII, and sent to my grandfather, who was stationed in Chicago during the war.

And before I comment on how handsome this guy is (it is a photo postcard), I am just going to move on because I am probably related to him. And that is just gross.

Black 001

I took a look at this small collection and thought, Okay, I can sell these. There are just a couple of these and they are in good shape. I will scan them then sell them.

Good plan,me.  Good plan.

Black 002

I even scanned the backs, in preparation to say goodbye forever.

China001

As I was scanning them, Tom was working on labeling some vacation photos next to me.

“Whatcha doing, Hon?”

“Just scanning some postcards I found in Grandpa’s stuff.”

Fort Sheridan001

“Really? My mom had a postcard collection, and I am pretty sure she gave it to us.”

“Oh yeah,” I said, shuffling cards on the scanner, “I had forgotten about that. But I think I am going to sell these.”

Canada001

“Don’t do that. Just hold onto them.”

*muttering* “So much for that plan.”

“What was that?”

“What was what?”

“What did you say?”

“I said, ‘Abraham. Abraham Lincoln.’ ”

Lincoln001

New plan:

Keep the postcards, and dig through the box and sell something else.

Good plan, me. Good plan.

6 Responses to Postcards From WWII Soldiers

1. cathie Reply

January 31, 2011 at 11:04 am

Good plan, keep them.They are truly historic. I find the old postcards so interesting.

However, as I said before, if anything needs to be adopted to a good home even for a fee…just email me. I told my father about your previous post about the stamps and crafts and I think he fell out of his chair. He even quizzed me to make sure I gave you the correct advice. LOL

And how did it go with the stamps?

How many more boxes do you have to go through?

cathie

• RetroRuth Reply

January 31, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Hi Cathie! Your poor dad! Stamps are going well. My grandfather kept all of his extra foreign stamps hinged to 3×5 cards and in covered index card cases. If that makes sense. I am removing the stamp + hinge and putting them in the little envelopes to save space, but keeping the index cards he wrote on preserve the character of the collection. The stamps that he didn’t identify I am looking up in his 1963 Scott’s book that he had with the stamps. It’s working quite well because nothing is older than 1970 and most of it is pre-1950. I will post some pics on my progress in a week or two!

I have about 6 plastic totes full of stamps, but most of those are already in albums. Probably 15 boxes worth of stuff from my grandpa. It’s gonna be a long winter! I will give you first crack at anything that I decide to sell, I promise. :)

January 31, 2011 at 1:06 pm

OK, I will comment on that soldier being good looking, since I am pretty sure he’s not related to me! That is a really cool collection of post cards, though, and very neat pieces of history, especially since they were sent to your grandfather. I’m with tom, I’d want to keep them :-)

January 31, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Such a cool collection Ruth! I agree, keep the postcards and mementoes from your family — you will probably regret it if you don’t! :)

4. jamie in Hollywood Reply

February 2, 2011 at 1:32 am

I really liked these postcards. I collect them and they are a window on the past. I find them most evocative. Thank you for sharing them. Also, the posts in the last few weeks have been just great! Keep up the good work.

5. ELS Reply

February 2, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I totally understand wanting to declutter, but even I was thinking I couldn’t part with something like that. Should you decide to pass them along, you might consider donating them to the library or historical society of the community where the writers were from. Given that they were from WWII soldiers, they make wonderful resources for historians, and a veteran’s organization might want them too.

Here is another organization that might want them: