Home » Decade » 1950 » The Wilson House – Formal Living Room

January 27, 2011

The Wilson House – Formal Living Room

By Sara In AZ

___________________________________________________________

OK y’all, we are picking up the Wilson House tour in the Formal Living Room this week.

All I can say is get some Kleenex ready because drool will be on your keyboards!

This is a view looking toward the kitchen. You can see that gorgeous stone fireplace. And all the furniture and accessories –  to die for!!!!!

Lord have mercy, a Saarinen Womb chair — and I sat in it!!!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

I do love all the Eames furniture here in the Wilson house!

This is a view standing in the far corner against the window wall.

LOVE, love, love  the turquoise!!!!!

A close-up of the vinyl turquoise floor.

A view out onto the fantastic patio. You can kind of see the U-shape concept.

Eeks – another Eames chair!!!! LOVE!!!

A close-up of the beautiful stone on the fireplace.

The gorgeous fireplace.

This is on the far wall directly opposite the fireplace. This is a design done completely in laminate with big laminate panels.

I am completely in LOVE with this!!!

A view down the formal lining room standing at the fireplace .

Just breathtaking…………..

OK, how’s that drool doing? Are y’alls keyboards still doing ok? 🙂

*passing Kleenex*

The Wilson House is located in Temple Texas and I highly recommend a tour of this fantastic house, you will not be disappointed. You will need to call ahead and make an appointment, as the house is not open all the time. It is pretty much a one on one tour, so it is really cool to explore around the house by yourself  with the tour guide. The phone number for tours is 254.207.2806 and tours are available Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.

Click HERE for a  link to the Wilsonart Website, where there is some more information on the Wilson House.

Next Thursday – the Dining Room and Master Bedroom.

17 Responses to The Wilson House – Formal Living Room

January 27, 2011 at 10:05 am

You know what I love best about this living room? The floor!!!! It MAKES the room, even though it isn’t a common floorcovering to use in a living room it totally works here. And the furniture is just gorgeous. This is a great series, Sara! Can’t wait to see more!

2. Annie B. Reply

January 27, 2011 at 10:39 am

Oh, wow! Oh, wow! Oh, WOW!

Man, do I love that LR floor. It looks like a swimming pool with all the furniture floating upon it.

Those laminate cut-outs on the wall are giving me lots of ideas.

Can’t wait to see the rest of the house. Thanks for a GREAT post.

3. Sharon Reply

January 27, 2011 at 10:55 am

Holy bananas! My Kleenex is out because I’m crying with joy that I got to see this place! That laminate panel wall is just astounding! Everything was just … it was totally … I can’t … *thud* I passed out from excitement!!!!!!!!!

January 27, 2011 at 12:22 pm

So glorious. I love that fireplace and how the furniture pops against that beautiful blue floor! And that big wall of patio doors and that inset laminate design on the wall…stunning.

5. Becky Reply

January 27, 2011 at 12:22 pm

:::::dies from the utter coolness of that room:::::

That floor. That FLOOR. My someday-dream-kitchen is going to be red, white and turquoise, and as God is my witness I will have that floor!

January 27, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Ruth – That is SOOOO what I thought about that floor (very unusual to use it in the living room) and I REALLY loved it as well! How cool is that color too! 🙂

Annie B. – You are SO right, it is like a swimming pool! I wonder if they still have that color available in VCT? And the laminate cut-outs – SPECTACULAR!!! 🙂

Sharon – Wake up *shakes* wake up girl!!! 🙂 We really never wanted to leave. Ever.

Eartha – I know, they had the colors SO right didn’t they? All the design elements worked so well together it just about made me want to cry…… in a good way though. 🙂

Becky – That floor is so dreamy! 🙂 You must send in pics when you get your dream kitchen!

January 27, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I am IN LOVE with that turquoise floor. Turquoise being my favourite actual colour. I am also loving those laminate designs. So awesome!

8. Tikimama Reply

January 27, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I’m so envious of you! You got to BE IN this house! I’ve loved it since Pam first featured it on RetroRenovation.

Seems like if you want this look, the best thing to do is search under “commercial” or “designer” on the flooring companies’ websites. Couple of products I found that seem to be close in color:

A sheet linoleum: http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/product_details_toolbox_magnify.jsp?item_id=112940

January 27, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Andrea – That floor was AWESOME!!!! So was the laminate design!!! I think I will have them in my next house. 🙂

Tikimama- I found out about this house in 2004 from my Mom who lived in Houston at the time. She saw a magazine article about it and knew I would LOVE it! I always planned on making it to Temple to tour the house and I was SO glad when we made it. Thanks for all the info on the flooring. I think the Congoleum Aqua Spring is my favorite!!! 🙂

10. Jennifer Reply

January 28, 2011 at 10:44 am

Holy wow wow wow! Who would’ve ‘thunk’ to put that color on the floor? I put it on my walls but am jealous that I didn’t think about doing the floors. I’d have to say that this is by far one of the best MCM houses I’ve ever seen

January 28, 2011 at 11:00 am

Kleenex nothing, send me lots of smelling salts!

January 28, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Jennifer – I know, they were brilliant weren’t they! 🙂

Sable – *passes smelling salts* 🙂

January 28, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Thanks, I needed that!

14. Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap.com Reply

January 28, 2011 at 5:41 pm

oooh! I almost lost it when I saw that decorative wall! We’ll be in Austin in March, wonder if I can sneak away and take a tour! I know RetroRoadmap readers would dig this place. Thanks for the swell photos!

January 28, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Mod Betty – For sure call the number and see if they can meet up with you sometime during your stay. Temple is about an hour or so north of Austin. The people at Wilsonart are super friendly and nice, so if you can get up there they can probably meet up with you! 🙂

16. Jen Reply

January 29, 2011 at 3:19 pm

*swoon* THUD

What a fantastic space! I don’t know what I like more, the gorgeous floor or the laminate wall design. The floor is so cheerful and peaceful at the same time…like looking at the ocean or a pool. I have that colour on my kitchen walls, but who’d have thunk to put it on the floor? Amazing! I could just sit and stare at these pictures all day long. Wow!

January 30, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Jen are you ok??? Jen are you with us??? 🙂

Thanks! The place is SOOOO amazing, we were kinda depressed when we had to leave.