Home » Culture & Media » Advertising » Vintage Security Envelope Patterns

January 24, 2011

Vintage Security Envelope Patterns

By RetroRuth

Okay, so this is a little bizarre, but I am going to show you guys some scans of vintage security envelope patterns.

Security Envelope Patterns001

Yep, you read that right!  All these fun patterns are from vintage security envelopes.

Security Envelope Patterns002

Where did I get them all, you ask?  Well, remember that post I did a little while ago about my great-grandfather’s stamp collection?

Security Envelope Patterns003

Well, to organize the loose stamps in his enormous collection, my grandfather would use regular envelopes cut down to the size he needed. Needless to say, there are TONS of these babies in his collection.

Security Envelope Patterns004

Now I am reorganizing the loose stamps into modern stamp storage materials,  and these beauties are going to be retired.

Security Envelope Patterns005

But before they take the long journey westward, I decided to have a little fun with the scanner.

Security Envelope Patterns006

Pretty sweet, though, aren’t they?  I am thinking about saving some of these and maybe doing a little art project.  You know, during all of the free time I have. *insert sarcastic eye roll*

Security Envelope Patterns007

It’s Sam The Eagle!

Oh, and if you absolutely adore these and want more, check out this Flickr group dedicated to envelope security patterns. Fun!

11 Responses to Vintage Security Envelope Patterns

1. Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap.com Reply

January 24, 2011 at 9:19 am

What a good eye you have – and what interesting patterns! Thanks for sharing these, I’ll be looking at my old envelopes more closely now.

And doesn’t it seem like in general, folks were more creative about – well, everything, back in the day? I mean ‘cmon these are just the inside of envelopes, but they’re so cool! sigh.

2. Annie B. Reply

January 24, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Mod Betty is right, Ruth. You have an incredible attention to detail.

Everything in the mid century seems to’ve gotten the “modern” treatment. Naturally, I’m loving the pattern which looks like a concrete block screen.

January 24, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Jeez, guys. All this flattery. *blushes*

Glad you like them! Mod Betty – it DOES seem like almost everything was infused with the charm and enthusiasm of the era. I love it because it makes everything from then distinctive, and easy to spot while thrifting. 🙂

Annie – I love that one, too! But I have to admit my fave is the second to the last one, that looks like random squiggles. It seems atomic to me!

4. Pat Reply

January 24, 2011 at 2:11 pm

These are so pretty and interesting, I think they definitely deserve to be part of an art project. Hope you keep them with that in mind!

January 24, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I think the second to last one is my fav too! Really cool envelopes Ruth!

6. Annie B. Reply

January 24, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Oh, gosh, ya’ll. Really! Look at the boomerangs in that next to last pattern. AH!

7. Jen Reply

January 25, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Wow, these are marvellous! The first and third are my favourites, though…Sam the Eagle is pretty wonderful in his own right. It’s a shame that there isn’t this sort of attention to detail nowadays! I think it would make life a bit better.

January 25, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Great post, Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuth! You come up with the most interesting ideas to write about!

I even remember seeing some of these.

9. crash pad girl Reply

January 25, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Wow Ruth.
    Those are great, who knew?
    Thanks for the inspiration.

10. Jennifer Reply

January 26, 2011 at 11:34 am

Maybe you could submit these to a textiles person or perhaps one of the cool wallpaper companies you just wrote about? I hate to see these not being re-used!

January 26, 2011 at 11:47 am

I’ll have to admit that this is something that I had absolutely no clue about! I think that I just assumed that they were all the same. I’m going to keep a closer eye out now! That eagle one is awesome – and a Flickr group…that’s amazing.