Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Raleigh, North Carolina

January 16, 2011

Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Raleigh, North Carolina

By Sablemable aka Jan

Next to finding a time-capsule MCM home, I love doing this post because I can search the web for homes wearing my jammies and drinking gallons of coffee all in the comfort of my own MCM home!  And, you, readers, can do the jammies/coffee thing while you read the post!  Win-win situation, I’d say!

Our featured home, built in 1959,  is located at 4820 Whitehall Avenue in Raleigh, North Carolina.  This was a rare find, as most of the homes have that southern antebellum feeling and what MCM homes are found in the South have usually been remodeled.

This home would be great for a single MCM’er or retired MCM couple.  There are 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and 1,627 square feet.  No basement, but the house sits on a concrete slab.  A detached garage was built and sits behind the carport.  The only thing that looks new is the toilet, otherwise, this home is near perfect.  The price for this home is $144,900.00 and is listed with Wieland Properties, Inc.  You may leave a voice mail at (919) 831-5312.    Photos courtesy of www.realtor.com.

THE FRONT/SIDE  OF THE HOUSE

HERE’S A CLOSER LOOK AT THE BLOCK GRILL.  I LOVE IT!

THE CIRCLE DRIVEWAY AND CARPORT.

THE LIVING ROOM

THE DINING ROOM

THE FAMILY ROOM (YOU CAN SEE THE ENTRACE OFF OF THE DINING ROOM)

THE KITCHEN

THE BATHROOM

There are loads of MCM details in this house.  Tell me what turns you on, Readers!

9 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Raleigh, North Carolina

January 16, 2011 at 9:32 am

The blue bathroom, of course! And what is up with that ceiling???

2. Bonnie Springer Reply

January 16, 2011 at 9:40 am

While it’s rare to find a mid-century house that hasn’t been remodeled, it’s actually not that rare to find MCM houses in the Triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). The Triangle has the third largest concentration of modernist houses in the country and the largest known inventory of those houses which is documented at http://trianglemodernisthouses.com. My own house is listed at the site. I applaud the efforts of all of those involved in maintaining that site to raise awareness of what wonderful architectural gems these MCM houses are. We’ve been losing too many mid-century houses to developers who tear them down and replace them with McMansions.

January 16, 2011 at 11:47 am

Wow, I adore this house! The flagstone walls…the ceilings…the super duper open floor plan! And that kitchen is so awesome with those cabinet doors. I’ve only seen those in the mid-century decor books. I also really love the exterior and that carport – well, howdy! Gorgeous!

I can definitely vouch for our area of the South (Nashville) and say that mid-century houses are waaaaay hard to find without having been remodeled – and there are very few in this style at all. Every time that we go to Mister’s hometown in the Mid-west, I make him drive me around and around just to look at houses.

January 16, 2011 at 2:26 pm

All the lighting fixtures are to die for! And, well, the whole darn house is pretty spectacular! 🙂

5. Megan Reply

January 16, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I second what Bonnie said. I live near the Triangle area as well, and Raleigh is a hotbed for MCM houses, especially ones designed by notable architects coming straight out of the NC State School of Design. Triangle Modernist Houses is doing a wonderful job documenting all of them and sometimes they sponsor tours as well!

Very cool MCM house with great natural light–hopefully someone sympathetic to its original design will purchase it!

January 16, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Bonnie & Megan! I guess I didn’t verbalize about MCM homes well enough down there as I did mean MCM homes remodeled and other homes that look like they belong on a plantation. Sorry. But thank you both for the info on the Triangle Area as I will search there for another presentation next Sunday. I can’t wait to find one!

Ruuuuuuuuuuuth! I love the wood tiled ceilings!

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Knew you’d find the light fixtures! Marvelous, eh?

Earthaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Yes this house is fantastic! Just in Michigan alone, we have scads of MCM homes, however, too many people are going in and ripping out everything MCM in them. Fudge.

January 16, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Hi, Bonnie and Megan! I just researched the homes listed at the website and was disappointed to find that most of them have upgraded the interiors. I agree they all are beautiful, but what we look for here is a MCM home that is in time-capsule condition; untouched inside and out. But I will continue to search the area until I find one. Thanks again!

8. HeatherB Reply

January 17, 2011 at 4:19 am

The planter built into the chimney is a neat mid-century touch – I just love that detail. I do wonder how practical it is though!

9. Annie B. Reply

January 17, 2011 at 11:20 am

Sableeeeeeeee,

This home is sincerely spectacular. The fact that it is in Raleigh really rings my “If I’d known then what I know now” bell big time; lived there for 16 years without the awareness of the mid century wonders surrounding me.

So many MCM elements in this jewel of a house. The wrought iron over the carport is amazing. Thank you for sharing this little beauty.