Home » Decade » 1960 » Decorative Concrete Blocks

February 7, 2011

Decorative Concrete Blocks

By RetroRuth

Concrete & Masonry001

Wow.  That was some Super Bowl Game, huh?  Those guys, they really beat those other guys.  All that running. All that Spandex. All that…sweat.

Yeah. That sure was football. Yep. Yeppity, yeppity, yep. Yep. *Sigh* Yep.

I didn’t watch the game.

Instead, I scanned these great concrete block ideas from this book, How To Work With Concrete and Masonry from 1968.  What can I say?  I don’t care about football.

What I care about is great concrete block.

Concrete Block001

Concrete Block002

Concrete Block003

Concrete Block004

Right here, this is my favorite.

Concrete Block005

Or maybe it is this one.

Concrete Block006

Concrete Block007

Concrete Block008

Of course, you can’t count this one out. Love!

What do you guys think, what is your favorite?  And don’t say football!

13 Responses to Decorative Concrete Blocks

1. ae Reply

February 7, 2011 at 10:07 am

Aw! You made Tom suffer through that alone! I still vote for football over concrete!

2. ae Reply

February 7, 2011 at 10:08 am

Now food, that’s definitely more important!

February 7, 2011 at 11:13 am

I didn’t watch it either. All that I’ve heard is that someone one and that there were some commercials and a half-time show that people mostly don’t like. Concrete blocks are way more exciting! My favorite is the one with the kids playing in front of it. Luckily, our house has that same one! We are having a debate whether to leave it plain or to paint it the same color as the house trim this Summer. We’ll see!

4. Annie B. Reply

February 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHH. Blocks, glorious blocks! How I do love them. It’s hard to pick a favorite; I want them all.

I’d have to say that I do truly love the square-in-square pattern and am fortunate to have a grand total of four blocks in that pattern. I cannot find screen blocks anywhere in our area. People laugh when I mention them.

I’m going to have to find a copy of this book. Thanks for lots of sunshine on this cloudy day.

5. Annie B. Reply

February 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Oh, and what’s football?

6. Jaede Reply

February 7, 2011 at 12:21 pm

No football for us, we had a Puppy Bowl party !!!!! I’m crazy for those concrete blocks. The neighbour hood I live in here in Vegas is filled with them.

7. Toni Reply

February 7, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I am surrounded by concrete block walls in So Cal so muchwas built in the 50’s & 60’s. I did watch part of the game & rooted for Packers because that was who they rioted for on Happy Days!

8. Lesley Reply

February 7, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I am a big sucker for concrete block screens. We don’t have any at our house, but I love it! There is a flickr group for concrete block walls that I like, too!

February 7, 2011 at 5:16 pm

We have TONS of this here in AZ. I really like this starburst block I have seen around here and there, the circle one is super cool too. I swear I will have some of this around my house….someday…….. 🙂

February 8, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I’ll take ALL of them, LOL!

11. Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap.com Reply

February 8, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I love these too – but danged hard to find in Pennsylvania! We’re going to be doing some remodeling at our little Hacienda, maybe we can find some and incorporate them into the design. Your scans have inspired me!

12. Jim Reply

April 5, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Those are great! Wonder if they are still made or are they only found at salvage places now? Thanks for scanning them.

• RetroRuth Reply

April 6, 2011 at 1:24 pm

No problem, Jim! I think salvage places would be your best bet. Glad you liked them!