Home » Culture & Media » Books » MCM Home Improvement: How Does Your MCM Garden Grow, Part 2

February 25, 2011

MCM Home Improvement: How Does Your MCM Garden Grow, Part 2

By Sablemable aka Jan

This week’s garden topic is about annuals.  The Home Garden February 1952 magazine offered a list of annuals to begin inside your home.  Can you believe it?  Twenty-five cents for this magazine!  Nice greenhouse, too!

On page 13, The Home Garden lists annuals that one should begin to plant from seed inside the home.    This is a great list as it gives the names of the different varieties.     A MCM version of Annuals For Dummies!

There are a lot of advertisements in these magazines; familiar names such as Breck’s, Burpee, Wayside Gardens and Jackson and Perkins.  I even found an advertisement in this issue of a nursery here in my neck of the woods.  Zilke Brothers Nursery is located at 8924 Cleveland Avenue in Baroda, Michigan and are still going strong.  Their business is housed in a beautiful MCM modern brick building, which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

One annual that re-seeds itself is Vinca (aka periwinkle).  I planted vinca years ago around the mailbox post at my 1958 ranch and it is thick and lush with leaves and lavender flowers.  I’ve transplanted some of it to my 1955 ranch and it is still among the living.     Morning Glories also re-seed themselves, but they only lasted for two growing seasons after I first planted the seeds.  Still, they were a treat to see all of the multi-colored flowers blooming for those two years.

Do you plant annuals in your gardens, readers?  If so, what do you plant?  Do you have a favorite nursery that you buy from?

6 Responses to MCM Home Improvement: How Does Your MCM Garden Grow, Part 2

February 25, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Pretty much all of my front yard is perennials (to the point that I have no grass, just various plants, not very MCM, but I like it), but I usually put some annuals in pots, and I have some big barrels in the back that I fill with annuals as well. I usually just go with whatever strikes my mood at the greenhouse, though, LOL. This post does give me some ideas of what to look for. Too bad gardening season is still 2.5 months away here!

February 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Your garden has flowers that were once crossed with heirloom flowers, so your garden IS MCM!

I agree that perennials are the way to go. I don’t plant many annuals if any during the growing season.

LOL, yep, we’ll just have to be patient for the end of April/first of May to plant! That’s the price we pay for living in a frozen tundra.

3. Lorie B Reply

February 25, 2011 at 2:29 pm

LOL….THANK YOU Jan for the shout out to Baroda. I grew up there. Population 652 – Salute!!!

And yes, Roger still has the nursery. I have always wanted to pop into their house. Someday I may have to corner Marilyn and ask her for a quick tour. I tend to doubt it is in vintage condition, but you never know.

Now, do you know the twins on Cleveland who sell eggs and flowers?? Their house is very MCM and I have a feeling it is in perfect condition. They are sweet ladies and ALWAYS dress alike.

February 25, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Lorieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! My brother is police chief for Baroda-Lake Township, so I have a soft place in my heart for the community.

It seems the Zilke’s home is a brick ranch, if I recall correctly. Not sure about the twins, but I’ll ask my brother. I’ve probably passed it numerous times.

Maybe we can have my brother take us to the homes for an intro so we can take a peek? LOL!

February 26, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Sable – I wish! In my even more frozen portion of tundra, nobody plants until the 3rd week in May! Planting any sooner is just begging for your plants to be ruined by frost, unfortunately. The Victoria Day weekend is the big gardening weekend here.

February 27, 2011 at 10:36 am

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! I usually wait until the first week in May as it is still quite cold and rainy. We always have this Blossom Parade on the first Saturday in May and the weatherman is always against us! The poor Blossom Queens have to endure the rain and cold!