Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement: How Does Your MCM Garden Grow?

February 18, 2011

MCM Home Improvement: How Does Your MCM Garden Grow?

By Sablemable aka Jan

I bought some wonderful vintage gardening magazines called The Home Garden from Ebay and I thought, since we’ve got MCM homes, shouldn’t we have MCM gardens, too?   So over the next few weeks, I’ll be featuring different flowers to plant that will enhance your home.

I’ll begin with roses.  At Vintage Gardens (www.vintagegardens.com) they carry a huge selection of vintage rose bushes and root roses and I chose ones that were introduced during the MCM era.  Photos are courtesy of Vintage Gardens located in Sebastopol, California.

Dr. Debat introduced in 1953.   Color is peach-pink.

First Love introduced in 1951.  Color is rose pink.

Blue Girl introduced in 1964.  Color is lavender.

Sutter’s Gold introduced in 1950.  Color is gold.

Cherry Glow introduced in 1959.  Color is cerise.

Bettina introduced in 1958.  Color is gold.

Ena Harkness introduced in 1954.  Color is dark red.

Independence introduced in 1951.  Color is vermillion.

Zambra introduced in 1961.  Color is orange.

Lichterloh introduced in 1955.  Color is true red.

Do you plan to add any roses to your garden, readers?

7 Responses to MCM Home Improvement: How Does Your MCM Garden Grow?

February 18, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Hmm, I hadn’t thought about it before, but seeing those pictures you put up, a few of those would go lovely with my house colour. I am definitely going to think about it now, and see if there’s any that will grow in the front of my house!

February 18, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! I’ll do it if you’ll do it, my black thumb and all, LOL!

I have to replace my climbing roses on the garage side and I may go with a purchase from Vintage Gardens. Bright red roses, which will go great when I paint the trim pastel green.

3. Toni Reply

February 18, 2011 at 6:50 pm

When I think mid-century garden I think ferns, hydrangeas and Chinese silk trees. Those re what I remember seeing on my mom’s mid 70’s Avon route.

4. Toni Reply

February 18, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I like the peach color roses. I don’t plant roses because of thorns. I have 4 small children. Thorns are my enemy.

February 18, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Toniiii! Thorns are my enemy, too and I’m not a small child anymore, LOL! But my worst nightmare was having a catcus plant fall on my right forearm at age 4. Still remember the pain. Owie!

6. Cynthia Reply

February 21, 2011 at 4:52 am

I think my mother had some Sutter’s Gold in her garden. Lice reeeeally loved it. I was told to find lady bugs and put them on the roses, but they didn’t help very much. :S

7. Pingback: I venture outside