Home » Decade » 1960 » Mod Sixties Fashions

February 22, 2011

Mod Sixties Fashions

By Sablemable aka Jan

All this talk about the color orange lately here on the blog made me think about the Sixties; mod, Carnaby Street, psychodelic, flower-power clothing and accessories.

If you missed living during that time (1966-1969), or you don’t want to remember those years, let me show you what you’ve missed – or forgotten!

Mini-skirts, Breton Caps and Go-Go Boots, although I don’t ever remember the boots having a high heel.  The go-go’s I had where white leather, flat heel and came up just past the ankle.  I loved those boots!

One-shoulder, Toga style gowns with bold patterns of color.

Shoes were chunky, square-toed and came in vivid colors.

We’ve seen a comeback of what we currently call Gladiator sandals, but back in 1967, they were termed Roman sandals and Trojan sandals.

Pantsuits were the trend sometimes coming in three pieces; pants, jacket and skirt.  Wonder why these haven’t come back into style?  Just don’t bring back the polyester leisure suits!  Yikes!

More “Boyfriend” looks.  The short-sleeved ribbed- knit tops were dubbed “Poorboy” tops.

Sunglasses even changed from cat-eyes to op-art.  I had a pair of these sunglasses, only mine were a baby blue color.

Would you like to see a return of the Mod Sixties clothing, readers?

Images courtesy of www.vintageadbrowser.com; my own personal collection from catalogs, and Yahoo Images.

9 Responses to Mod Sixties Fashions

February 22, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Oh my gosh, those sunglasses are really wild! I can’t even imagine how you could really see well wearing them! 🙂

2. Jeanne Reply

February 22, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I love 60s fashion! The Go-Go boots I remember were flat and short as well. I always wanted a pair but my mom wouldn’t let me get them because they were white and would get scuffs! I should get some now. 🙂

I had a “poor boy” with a zipper at the neck and it had a gold circular zipper pull. I remember it being very comfortable. Those wrap-around sunglasses with the slit to look out of were called “girl watchers”.

I also remember that girls were not allowed to wear pants to school until they changed the rules when I was in the 7th grade (which was 1969). It was then that I got some groovy pant suits to wear to school.

February 22, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Count me as another one who loves 60s fashion! Mind you, I can find looks that I love in fashion from the 30s through to the 70s, heh. I really do love go go boots and mini dresses, though.

February 22, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Love those shoes! Nice!

February 22, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Actually, Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, you could see very well out of those sunglasses. They were waaaaay cool!

Jeanneeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! I, too, had a top with the round zipper pull; my top was gold, I think. I believe it was the 1970-71 school year that the board of education decided to let us wear pants in high school. At first the pants had to be nice-no jeans, cut-offs, patches, etc. My senior year, (71-72) nobody cared and everyone wore rag-tag jeans and such. Do you remember the hot pants? LOL, I wore those to high school.

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Admit it, girl! You’re just a retro chick at heart!

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuth! I love those shoes, too!

6. Toni Reply

February 22, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Love the shoes! My mom had a shirt with the ring zipper pull. She also had knee high suede boots with a chunky high heel and a brown patchwork suede mini skirt. I was born in 71, so I saw them in her closet, but never saw her wear them.

7. Jeanne Reply

February 23, 2011 at 11:05 am

Hot pants!! Yes, I forgot about those. I had several snazzy hot pants outfits. I wish I kept some of those clothes. I do have a navy suede fringed bolero vest that my sister gave me for Christmas. She worked (sewing) at a leather company in San Francisco and sewed clothes. She sent us all great Christmas gifts. I kept that vest. I don’t know what happened to the fringed mini skirt that matched it, though.

8. jafi Reply

February 23, 2011 at 11:55 am

My top with ring pull was K-State purple. I had a pair of white vinyl go-go boots in the 3rd grade – I wanted to live in them. Mom hated them. They had a small heel, came up below the knee and had fake laces on the front. (This was all from 70-73 since things took longer to get to the mid-west).

Mom had hot pants and the legs to pull them off. The patchwork suede midi(mid-length)-skirt. And don’t forget the cloaks and poncho’s. She had a red/white tweed mini skirt with matching cloak and breton hat. And shirts with wild vivid paisley’s to match the shoes.

Lots of sleeveless sheath mini dresses like the first photo in a wide array of colors and patterns.

The bright colors were amazing. I can always pick them out with a glance in vintage clothing stores.

9. LSIE Reply

July 19, 2011 at 2:46 pm

The colors were bright and cheery and the styles rather easy to wear, but Noooo, I would not like to see it come back – the only way the fabrics could pull off those colors was because it was all synthetic! Polyester knits that were so scratchy and uncomfortable to wear, it didn’t breathe at all. The shoes, while the styles and colors were fabulous, were all plastic. At least for my budget at the time! (which was whatever my parents could afford) Yikes, hot pants and the wet look – remember the shiney wrinkled plastic leather like material that was made into coats and boots and jackets and handbags?