Home » Decorating & Home » Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

February 20, 2011

Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

By Sablemable aka Jan

Oh, deary me!  Whatever you do when looking at  MCM time-capsule homes, do NOT eat or drink while looking at one of these babies.  I almost chocked to death when I saw this home in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, it was so fab!

A suburb of Detroit, Bloomfield Hills has some wonderful MCM homes, but, a lot of them in the high priced range have usually been remodeled.  Ugly word.  However, at 3921 Kirkland Court, this 1958 built, one owner home is, as the real estate agency puts it, a “time-warp” home.  Nothing has been changed.  There are five bedrooms, 4 full bathrooms (2 of which are in the walk-out basement) and one half bathroom.  There are 2,550 square feet, cathedral ceilings in the living, dining and family rooms, has a 3-car attached garage and city water and sewer.  The price for this beauty – $950,000.00 (gag reflex)!   I forgot to mention the home is on lakefront property, thus the high price.

The real estate agency is Real Living Cranbrook Realtors, 1-800-364-4005.

THE FRONT AND BACK OF THE HOUSE

THE ENTRANCE

Look at the mural!

THE LIVING ROOM

THE DINING ROOM

THE FAMILY ROOM

THE GREAT ROOM

THE KITCHEN AND BREAKFAST ROOM

THE MASTER BEDROOM AND MASTER BATHROOM

THE REC ROOM

I hope everyone saw all of the fantastic ceiling lights scattered about and did you see the velvet headboard in the master bedroom as well as all of that fantastic furniture and god knows what other little MCM treasures are there?

I also want to mention the comment from the real estate agency; they said it need renovation or you can tear it down (my words) and build your dream home.  Can you believe that?

11 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

1. Jeanne Reply

February 20, 2011 at 9:32 am

I can’t believe you’ve featured this home! I actually attended the estate sale when they had it back in November. That home was FILLED with mid century treasures. Every piece of artwork on the walls were from that period. I scored a beautiful glass coffee warmer/carafe with silver maple leaves enhancing the glass, and my bigger score was the blender accessory for my Nutone Food Center (that the previous owners didn’t leave any accessories for) for $2! I really wanted some of the art work from the walls, but everything was priced a bit high for my wallet. 🙂

That home was an unbelievable time capsule – but it looks like it did need some work to bring it back to its glory. It’s on a prime piece of real estate (on a small lake) so I understand why they mention buying it for the land.

2. stacey Reply

February 20, 2011 at 10:32 am

oh my I had deja vu for a minute! there was an estate sale in this home (as the first commentor said!) and when I saw what was for sale online, I just *had* to contact the company handling the sale to see if they would ship anything, no matter how large, up here to me in Pennsylvania. They were EXTREMELY accomodating and we actually got quite a few of this family’s lovely items. If I’m not mistaken, he was a doctor and everything they had was so gorgeous.

I don’t want to brag, but if you want to see what we scored from this to die for time capsule home (breaks my heart to read that its being advertised pushing to be gutted or raized but I should learn to assume so much) the link is here on my blog: http://midcenturymontco.blogspot.com/search/label/estate%20sales

To update, we ended up getting the Plycraft Chair, the blue sculpture/wall art (not orange as pictured), the pair of lamps you can see in the bedroom, 4 of those little palette shaped side tables, the boomerang shaped table with the spinning record rack… and I think that may be it.

Your photos actually show the bathroom and kitchen which the estate sale photos never showed. Both of those rooms are killer, and I’m seeing more details now than I did back in December. Also the ceilings and those light fixtures, which are equally amazing.

I will never know the owners of this home but I love my Plycraft chair, I sit in it daily… the sculptured wall art is in a very visible place and I admire it many, many times a day. I am still looking for the perfect pair of shades for those lamps so that I can put them in our sitting room… It makes me happy to think that we are enjoying these pieces instead of them going to dealers or being thrown out as ‘junk’.

February 20, 2011 at 10:34 am

Jeanne!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, you lucky duck! I would have gladly drove the 3 hour plus drive to attend that estate sale!

Renovation is okay as long as you restore it according to its era.

Was the master bathroom gorgeous? It looks like it in the photos.

February 20, 2011 at 10:40 am

Staceyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!! Oh, you don’t know how happy this makes me that you and Jeanne were able to buy some treasures from this fantastic home! I saw your photos and that chair is sooo beautiful! LOL@ your orange comments on your blog! Orange is a wonderful accent color, so go for it!

Thank you for sharing!

February 20, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Sable, you are really making me want to cry here girl! This house is SOOOOO awesome I hope it can be saved by someone who loves MCM as much as we do. Great find!!!

6. Jennifer Reply

February 21, 2011 at 11:04 am

I think that this is, quite possibly, the best house you’ve ever posted on this site. Amazing

7. pam kueber Reply

February 21, 2011 at 12:05 pm

wow – what a beauty!

8. Jeanne Reply

February 21, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Stacey, you are so lucky! I wanted to go back on Sunday to see what the prices were marked down to, but couldn’t for some reason. All the art was to die for. There were so many nice pairs of art hanging on the walls (pictures made from wood!).

The master bathroom was huge and obviously custom. The shower was open to the room. One lady mentioned that it reminded her of gym class locker room showers, haha. I thought the toilet sitting in the middle of the room between the two sinks/vanities was an odd placement. The tile work was nice!

The nicest part (well it was all nice) was the entire lower level looked out onto a patio and the lake. It had two large seating areas separated by a built-in bar, and had a fireplace and indoor barbeque on one end. Me thinks a lot of entertaining went on there!

9. stacey Reply

February 21, 2011 at 1:12 pm

No YOU’RE lucky because you actually got to walk through this house and see all of those amazing details in person. We just got to drool over it online and zoom in to see what we could see in the backgrounds (like that room divider, I was all about that!)

I forgot to mention that by the time we contacted the estate company, it was day 2 of the sale so she was nice enough to give us the discounted prices. And if I remember correctly… she mentioned that alot of the bigger and pricier pieces were purchased by someone in France and she shipped them there. ?!

February 21, 2011 at 2:58 pm

OMG, sooooooooo gorgeous! I really do hope that whoever buys it buys it to restore.

11. Olivia Reply

February 23, 2011 at 1:14 pm

No,no,no,no,no!!! Why would anyone want to tear down such an awesome house? Would have loved to have attended the estate sale but I live in Texas. Hope someone does buy it and restores it.