Home » Culture & Media » Books » How To Look Pretty At Your 1940’s Party

March 21, 2011

How To Look Pretty At Your 1940’s Party

By RetroRuth

I thought we could start this Monday off right with some condescending and belittling party advice from a 1940’s cookbook that we can never live up to. Good Housekeeping006

Remember your roles, people! No one wants to be welcomed into a party by a hag!Good Housekeeping007

Whew. It’s a good thing my big, attractive husband is here so I don’t have to plan this whole works with my own pretty little hands.

Good Housekeeping003

“Okay, we are going to need 30 packs of Lucky Strikes and you need to fold 150  of these paper cranes by Tuesday.”

Good Housekeeping002

“Remember, Pierre, not too set now. It might detract from my party spirit. ”

Good Housekeeping004

Only a fool would let drudgery show on their hands.
Good Housekeeping005

Mrs. Smith’s Creamy Base Hides Unattractive Oven Flush!

Twinkle’s Eye Enchantments Cover Stress Lines Like Magic!

Good Housekeeping008

“Whew. All that creaming and furbishing wore me out.”

Good Housekeeping009

“Who knew tomato gelatin could be used as pomade? And it sets up so stiffly!”

Good Housekeeping010

“Oh, Sandy, have you met my big, attractive husband? No? Well, I’ll let you meet him later, after we take care of your hands with some hand cream from my kitchen emergency shelf.”

8 Responses to How To Look Pretty At Your 1940’s Party

1. Jennie from Mrs Beckinsale Reply

March 21, 2011 at 6:57 am

OH GET BENT!!!

I want to slap this magazine silly.

2. Miss RM Reply

March 21, 2011 at 10:35 am

Ha! Oven Flush! I can’t say I’ve ever suffered from it’s ill effects!

3. Barbara Reply

March 21, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Good holy God. A makeup shelf in the kitchen? She can’t just run to the bathroom? Oh wait, great hostesses never go to the bathroom, they just hold it with a smile.

My god, did the article mention anything about actually cooking? She spent so much time getting ready that I doubt she was able to get anything accomplished!

March 21, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Hee-larious!!!!

I never knew about the beauty-angle postion before, I will have to keep that in mind before my next big party! 🙂

March 21, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Jennie – I know! I couldn’t believe this!

Miss RM – You are one of the lucky ones! That oven flush is deadly… 🙂

Barbara – I think her “staff of servants” did all the cooking. She just had to shoulder the burden off bossing people around and looking pretty. *Whew*!

Sara – Yes! The beauty-angle position: Guarenteed to make you a better hostess!

6. jamie in Hollywood Reply

March 22, 2011 at 9:37 am

Now, how did you know this is exactly what I needed?! Yes, when the day arrives, I too have at least an hour to prepare. I also have a cosmetic shelf in my kitchen for those “minor” repairs to my face; (Honey, where’s the spackle?! Like my menu, my make-up is tried and true.) Oh, those traces of drudgery! My guests are always commenting on my party spirit- the gaiety (and the gays!) and nothing detracts from my party spirit, not as long as the vicodin holds out… And a good make-up base is essential to hide that oven flush- (and that five o’clock shadow! “Honey, where IS that #$@% spackle?!!)

March 22, 2011 at 10:34 am

Pass the tissues, I’m laughing my head off!

8. Pingback: a film noir party - Move Lifestyle :: Move Lifestyle