Home » Decorating & Home » Mid-Century Decorating » Basement » Kitsch-tastic Estate Sale In Adorable Time Capsule

March 12, 2011

Kitsch-tastic Estate Sale In Adorable Time Capsule

By RetroRuth

So, I really haven’t gotten to know all you new readers.  I mean, I see all of you lurking in the darkness, so I know you’re there. But I mean really, really get to know you.  Really. Let’s spend some time together.  Have a meaningful conversation. Let’s share an experience.

Let’s go shopping!

Well, I mean, there is that whole location annoyance to deal with.  I live in Michigan.  You live in Texas. Or Nashville. Or Hollywood. Or wherever you are from (I told you I didn’t know you that well!) so we are going to have to do some cyber-shopping.

Since we are all bargain hunters, let’s go to an estate sale! How about this estate sale by Jamie’s Attic Estate Sales in Detroit?  It is close to me and…well…I am lazy. So you are going to have to do all the driving.

Oh my goodness. Okay, well, we are going to have to lay down some ground rules.  First off, we will take turns picking things and we have to promise not to snatch things from each other’s hands. (Like that little reindeer on the corner of the table. That’s mine.)

You can have this little rabbit-guy, even though I like his…umm…cornucopia.

And this pile of garland.  You can have that too.

But these ornaments are mine.

And this cowboy light. Mine. (Ummm…can you say “Squee!”?)

This sculpture? Also mine.

But just look at all the rest of this stuff you have to choose from!

But not these. These are mine.

And that necklace at the bottom is mine, too.

Don’t you just love this table???

Wait, don’t touch that cookbook. That’s mine. And that orange beverage set.  And that turquoise tray in the background.

Did you see these cabinets??? They are awesome!

I’m sorry, did you say something?

Oh, no. That relish set on the fridge is mine. I called it ages ago.

See, plenty of stuff in here.  Look at all those magazines!

Which are also mine.

Here, hold out your arms.  I am getting both of these lamps.  And can you hook your leg around that dress form?

I am getting that ice bucket. And that fondue pot.

Can you see that pink tray in the background?  Tuck that under your arm for me. It’s mine.

I’m getting this light, too. It is so mine. Put the rest of this stuff I am holding in your purse then let me climb up on your shoulders so I can disconnect it.

Oh, we won’t get electrocuted.  I do this all the time.

Do you think they would mind if I pried that divider out of the wall?  Really? Well, can you make some noise or something and distract them?  Then they won’t even know.

Fine. I’ll leave it, but I am taking that automatic iron.  It even has the matching chair!

Whew, wow.  I am glad we took all this time to get to know each other!  We have to do this again soon!  Now, help me load all of this stuff in my car, will you??

This amazing estate sale is going on THIS WEEKEND in Detroit!!! If you have half a brain and live anywhere near here, you will get your butt out there and buy stuff! More info and TONS of pics are at Jamie’s Attic Estate Sale’s website!

14 Responses to Kitsch-tastic Estate Sale In Adorable Time Capsule

1. Uncle Atom Reply

March 12, 2011 at 8:32 am

Wow, some nice stuff in those photos, if you hit that sale good luck – I like all your choices, but you’re safe, I’m about 700 miles away

2. pam kueber Reply

March 12, 2011 at 10:23 am

WOW! This is a fabulous one for sure. I want the valences.

3. linda Reply

March 12, 2011 at 11:44 am

I love bargain hunting and love love those kitchen chairs. Thanks for letting us join you!

4. Miss RM Reply

March 12, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Holy crap, Ruth, you’re killing me here! I have never seen a sale anything like this!!

March 12, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Wow!!! What a sale Ruth. I’ll take the little rabbit cart guy, but I might have to fight you for the cowboy stuff. 🙂

March 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Wow, wow, wow! If I was anywhere near Detroit, I would be SO all over this sale!

7. Jeanne Reply

March 12, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I’m in the Detroit area, so I appreciate the tip on Jamie’s Attic! I’m not sure I’ll be able to make this one, though. I like that maple bed!

March 12, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Let’s see, Detroit is a 3 hour drive…….

9. Kookie Reply

March 13, 2011 at 12:11 am

Wow. Talk about the story of a life! I’d love to have that box of old Mother Earth News magazines — all the way back to the beginning from the looks of it. And the toys and bicycles and holiday decorations. I could see their lives playing out like a movie in my mind as I looked at each picture. Hope you get some treasures!

10. jamie in Hollywood Reply

March 14, 2011 at 11:47 am

We never have these kind of estate sales here anymore. That light! I really, really want that light. Fantastic. I have never seen anything quite like it. It’s amazing how you can pick up things like this for a song. They just don’t realize how popular MCM is right now. Good for you. Enjoy those things for all of us and thank you for sharing them. As usual, your pics are great.

March 15, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Wow, if you took all of the great things that I’ve seen during my entire life at estate sales and added them up, you wouldn’t have half of that stuff. I have never seen anything like that. My mind would shut down.

12. Sharon Reply

March 15, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I have many, many, many empty boxes to fill and a big car, too. I’ll see you there!

Seriously, I’m dizzy from the thought of even coming into contact with half of that stuff!

13. thissideofgaudy Reply

March 18, 2011 at 8:19 pm

OK, fine! But the valances are mine!;)

14. Rachael Reply

October 3, 2011 at 10:16 am

Hey there~Just found your blog and wanted to let you know this post cracked me up!! I am going to add you to my following list. Looking forward to reading your blog on a regular basis 🙂