Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » March 1959 In Benton Harbor, Michigan

March 22, 2011

March 1959 In Benton Harbor, Michigan

By Sablemable aka Jan

From the archives of our former local newspaper, here are a few features from the month of March, 1959.

AT A LOCAL DRIVE-IN RESTAURANT

“I’ll have the burger basket hold the mustard.  No, wait!  Make that the chili dog with fries.  No, I don’t want that either.  I’ll have the fish sandwich, no lettuce, please.  No, change that to a ……….”

NO FISH TONIGHT

Guess what?  After 52 years the road is STILL muddy, sometimes even flooded over!

IT TAKES A WOMAN

“But Officer, my feet were cold!”

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON?

I’ve heard of bats in the belfry, but crickets on the hearth?  I must join this club!

YUMMY!

EASTER PARADE

Don’t forget your Easter girdle, Ladies!

6 Responses to March 1959 In Benton Harbor, Michigan

1. Lorie B. Reply

March 22, 2011 at 10:36 am

hmmm…My dad and his family used to live at 301 McCord. Wonder if he knew the ‘joy-rider’? LOL

Since we are talking old Benton Harbor, what was the name of the bakery that was out in front of the Plaza for years???? I can recall the sign was black and white, and they had great pastries…but I can’t think of their name for nothing…help?

March 22, 2011 at 11:03 am

Lorieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

That was Eitel’s Bakery. Mr. Eitel Buckholtz was the owner and also had stores on Pipestone and E. Main Streets downtown. The women wore pink and white uniforms and the smells that would emit from there in the early morning hours was intoxicating (we lived near the Plaza)!
    Eitel’s had the best bismarcks, or jelly balls as Mom called them, not to mention their glazed doughnuts. Well, everything was delicious!
    I don’t have any more history on Eitel’s, but I’m working on that bit of history.
    There was also Biederbick’s Bakery at 477 Pipestone. Two brothers were owners/operators, but shortly after I began working for the city, one of them was murdered during a hold-up at the bakery, I think in 1974. After that, the store closed. Biederbick’s also had wonderful baked goods.

• Jane Ammeson Reply

March 4, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Hi–Did you ever find out any more info on Eitel’s? I’m looking for a recipe for the apple slices.

Thanks,

Jane Ammeson

March 22, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Thanks for reminding me Sable, I had forgotten to get my Easter girdle! 😉

March 22, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! The thought of one of those on my little body is making me quake! God, I hated wearing girdles!

March 23, 2011 at 12:35 pm

LOL! Nothing says Easter like a girdle!