Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement: The Nursery

March 18, 2011

MCM Home Improvement: The Nursery

By Sablemable aka Jan

Baby Boomers were kept in nursery furniture like that in this 1956 Thayer-Coggin ad (courtesy of Ebay Store, Densby Designs, LLC)  which wouldn’t pass the safety standards of today.  Even the vintage nursery furniture listed on Craigslist, Ebay, and other sites do not recommend using cribs, playpens, changing tables, etc. for infants and toddlers but instead use the furniture for decorative purposes.  I can see a vintage wooden changing table as a plant stand in some shabby-chic home, but we’re talking MCM here and we want our MCM home nurseries to match up with the rest of the house.

Now, don’t faint when you see the prices of the furniture I’m about to show you, especially after seeing the above Thayer set sell for $99.95, which was still expensive back then, but a heck of a lot cheaper than today’s costs.

Let’s start with the cribs.    From INMOD (www.inmod.com) here is a crib reminiscent of the ones from the Fifties.  This particular crib comes in pink, blue, green and yellow trim on white.

THE BIRIKINO LINE OF CRIBS  FOR $992.00

INMOD ALSO SELLS THE CRIB AND A DRESSER AS A SET IN THE SAME COLORS FOR $1,650.00

I really love this crib from Petitnest (www.petitnest.com)!

THE NOE CRIB FOR $1,490.00

Here’s the matching dresser.

THE NOE DRESSER FOR $1,650.00

From Dwell Studio (www.dwellstudio.com) , this crib is another winner!  You can have the birchwood finished in Natural, French White and Espresso.

THE CENTURY CRIB FOR $980.00

Rocking chairs and high chairs are essential for the nursery.   Zac and Zoe (www.zacandzoe.com) have some rockers that rock!

THE RALPH RAPSON RAPID ROCKER COMES IN BLACK, BLUE, RED, GRAY, MARBLE AND LIGHT BROWN FABRIC FOR ONLY $1,475.00.  RAPSON, AN ARCHITECT AND DESIGNER ORIGINALLY DESIGNED THIS ROCKER IN 1945 FOR KNOLL.

THE ARMSHELL ROCKER COMES IN CHARCOAL, CELERY, MOSS, RED, OATMEAL, GREEN, WHITE, NATURAL, ORANGE AND TERRACOTTA FIBERGLASS.  PRICE IS $349.00.

Zac and Zoe also have a high chair that speaks of MCM style.

THE SVAN HIGHCHAIR COMES IN NATURAL, CHERRY, MAHOGANY AND WHITEWASH FINISHES.  PRICE IS $259.00

At Nurseryworks (www.nurseryworks.net) they offer a rocking chair in microsuede fabric colors like ecru, slate (blue) and mocha for $700.00 or you can have custom upholstery in solids or prints for $1,250.00.

THE SLEEPYTIME ROCKER

If  a  baby is in your future and you’re looking for furniture that will complement your MCM home and lifestyle, then these examples will help you find the pieces that you need and will be happy with.

Next Friday we’ll look at classic toys for the nursery and playroom.

Next »

16 Responses to MCM Home Improvement: The Nursery

1. Barbara Reply

March 18, 2011 at 11:34 am

Really? They’re really nice, but there would be no way in h-e-double toothpicks that I would spend that much money on a crib unless I was anticipating having MANY children…and use it over and over.

You could customize a regular white crib with MCM decals…or with modern bedding, couldn’t you?

Maybe I’m analyzing too much…the thrifty in me just rebels!

March 18, 2011 at 11:40 am

Barbara! That’s why I said don’t faint when you see the price tags, LOL! The furniture shown is just samples of what’s out there that’s new and hopefully it would stimulate creativeness in expectant mothers. I agree with you that you could customize a less-costly crib and dresser to make it MCM, which is something I would do.

March 18, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Jan!! LOVE the Century Crib. Holy cow. And the fiberglass rocker is, of course, a MUST HAVE!

Can’t wait to see next week’s post!

4. Toni Reply

March 18, 2011 at 1:58 pm

The Jenny Lind cribs which my mom said were popular in the 60’s are still available today, & when I was looking at cribs 5 years ago, they had them in pink, pale blue, and green for $100 at babies r us. Not really MCM, but MC at least.

5. Toni Reply

March 18, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I should add that even cribs from a few years ago should not be used. Lots of recalls recently.

March 18, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I am a total sucker for rabbits, so I would probably have to have the top set — even if I had a boy! 🙂

Really cool finds Sable!!!

March 18, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Toniiiiiii!!!! I have no idea how any of us Baby Boomers survived infancy, LOL! Car seats and travel bassinettes were unsafe, yet we babies sat/laid in them!

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuth! Glad you liked the Century crib! I like the fiberglass rocker, too, but it kinda looks uncomfortable for a mom to sit in, but then, hey, that’s why moms are meant to be young!

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! I had lambs on my crib and those ball thingys in different pastel colors on the end pieces that a baby could play with once they acquired their sea-legs.

8. sherry Reply

March 18, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Oh I love it all! I so love the bunnys… My favorite growing up was stuffed bunny toy! AWWWWWWW….

9. Toni Reply

March 18, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Mable, my mom used a circa 1960’s crib for my nephew born in 1988. It had metal parts so may have been safer than the plastic parts on the cribs recently recalled.

March 18, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Toniiiiii!!!! I was just talking to my husband about the cribs and such we had as children and he said it’s a wonder that we all made it out of childhood alive, LOL! His crib was made of iron; my crib was of wood. Then I think of how we took baby aspirin when sick and now aspirin is deadly to children. We also ate our quota of dirt, LOL!

11. Dave Reply

March 18, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Caution: Old timer rant content

I really feel sorry for the current and last couple generations.

I was born in 1956 and spent many many nights in a 1956 crib. I survived. You know why? Because my parents were responsible adults. They bought what was available and then parented. They didn’t look to the government to save me from pinched fingers, loose parts, leaded paint. They took care of me themselves. Something about individual responsibility.

It really is a shame that we buy outrageously expensive things made to look old when individual responsibility and actually paying attention to what your child does would allow you to enjoy real classic pieces in your home.

But that’s just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

March 18, 2011 at 8:52 pm

*thud* I know you said not to faint, but WOW those cribs are pricey. Really nice, but really pricey. Ella slumbers comfortably in a $99 Ikea one!

Those high chairs are really interesting – they almost look more like sculpture!

13. Toni Reply

March 19, 2011 at 3:18 am

We had a crib but never used it. We bedshare. I certainly wouldn’t spent $900 on a crib we’d never use!

March 19, 2011 at 10:18 am

Sherryyyyyyyy!!!!! Gotta love those cute little bunnies!

Daaaaaaaaave!!!!! Yes, I agree with you on parents being responsible and your thoughts are appreciated.

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! LOL@thud!!!!!

Toniiiiiiiii!!!!! Nope, me neither on the crib.

15. Adriane Reply

March 21, 2011 at 12:24 am

These are such pretty options! Pretty much anything Dwell makes is amazing in my book. Only it’s all crazy expensive. We’re planning the nursery for baby #2 now, and not knowing the sex, we are hoping to go with bright colors. We’re hoping to use vintage board game boards (framed) and vintage puzzles as wall art, to help give a vintage feel without being too crazy spendy. Thanks for the round-up!

16. Pingback: Marushka Sailboat Print & An Armshell Rocker | No Pattern Required