Home » Decade » 1950 » Options For Authentic Crinolines

March 9, 2011

Options For Authentic Crinolines

By RetroRuth

So, it is literally pelting snow outside today, which is weird because 10 minutes ago it was raining.  But indecisive Michigan weather aside, I have been sitting here, looking out the window at the soft, puffy snow mounding up and thinking one thing.

I really, really need to get a good crinoline.

il_570xN_223314966

And not just any crinoline.  I need a super puffy, super gorgeous one. And one that is the right length. Just like this one from Etsy seller, delilahsdeluxe.

But there are so many questions and choices.

!CCWdGl!EGk~$(KGrHqEOKnIEz1IRiFcHBNK1(OTIq!~~0_3

Do I want a vintage one, or a new one, like this one from Ebay seller theexbay?

New has its perks.  I don’t have to worry about shredding or breaking elastic.  I don’t have to worry that the colors will run or change when I wash it.

il_570xN_223474181

But the vintage ones are so gorgeous, and the colors are so varied and fantastic. The soft pink, the pretty peach, the minty green. This gorgeous coral one from Etsy seller theoldwhitehouse (go MI!)  You just can’t get the same colors new.

Speaking of which, what color do I want???

il_570xN_224740891

Red?? From Etsy seller TheVintageStudio.

$(KGrHqYOKj!E1tSVUi(FBNcDhnDDlQ~~0_12

Green? From Ebay seller lbakedalaska.

il_570xN_215845792

Or just a classic, neutral white? From Etsy seller snootieseconds.

Or, I suppose I could even make one…

il_570xN_211971969

Pattern from Cottage Lane Treasures on Etsy.

Maybe?

Maybe?

Nah.

I think I’ll just stick with buying one. Any recommendations??

12 Responses to Options For Authentic Crinolines

1. Deb Reply

March 9, 2011 at 2:15 pm

New, I think. Your concerns about vintage ones are valid, particularly the elastic!! Just let us know what you decide…

March 9, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I like the newer ones too. Some of them are even softer as some of the vintage ones have that itchy netting. I’ve seen some new ones that also work so that they have two drawstring waists so that you can have two different lengths in one crinoline. Want it shorter? Just use the lower waist cinch of the two.

One of my favorite quotes (from “Calamity Jane”):
    “This town ain’t big enough! Not for me and that frilled-up, flirtin’, man-rustlin’ petticoat, it ain’t!” 🙂

March 9, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Deb! Thanks for the vote and the reinforcement of my feelings! As soon as I decide on something, you guys will be the first to know…

Eartha – Thanks, girl! Do you have a link or something for the adjustable length ones?? That sounds great and like it might be a winner! Ha ha ha – love the quote! “Man-rustlin'”! Gotta remember that one…

March 9, 2011 at 3:41 pm

You know me — I LOVE ALL of them!!! I say get em’ all! 🙂 All mine are vintage and the elastic does go bad, its not that big of a deal to replace it though. Eartha is right, some of the vintage ones can be real scratchy. It is probably best if you can find (and buy) one in person so you can try it on and see if it feels right. What will you do????????

PS Eartha – that quote is AWESOME!!!

March 9, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I’ll see if I can find a link for one. I bought it a few years ago when I got married and ended up reselling it because I went with another color. I’ll let you know if I find it!

6. Miss RM Reply

March 9, 2011 at 7:42 pm

The last time I was at the thrift store, there was a girl ahead of me in the checkout line purchasing the most perfect vintage crinoline! I was so distraught that I hadn’t gotten to the store five minutes sooner!!

March 9, 2011 at 11:53 pm

I am another one who would vote for new, in this case. Your concerns about the elastic are definitely more than valid – not to mention that netting is the type of thing that loves to develop minute tears. And minute tears love to grow. A new one will be minute-tear free.

8. Steph @ Tart Deco Reply

March 10, 2011 at 12:03 am

I bought my wedding crinoline from this site- http://www.resashay.com/product/R000053-MM-592

9. Steph @ Tart Deco Reply

March 10, 2011 at 12:04 am

ps I did a tea-length 50s dress (not a big poofy traditional dress).

March 10, 2011 at 9:06 am

Thanks, Eartha! Do you have a pic of you in your wedding dress posted somewhere??? I would love to see. 🙂

Miss RM! What a tragedy! I know the “only 5 min sooner” feeling. Last week I was in my favorite Salvation Army, and an older lady ahead of me was walking around with a HUGE armful of vintage children’s cookbooks! I could have just died.

Andrea – Thanks for the vote! It means a bunch coming from you. 🙂 I will totally be on the lookout for a new one.

Steph! Thanks for the link, it looks perfect and exactly what I was looking for! What color did you end up going with, just white? Also, do you have a link to a pic of you in the dress? I would love to see, just because. 🙂

11. Miss RM Reply

March 10, 2011 at 12:29 pm

That’s a travesty about those cookbooks! It’s been months and months since I’ve found a good vintage cookbook, so I might have been in tears if that had happened to me!

March 10, 2011 at 1:24 pm