Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Omaha, Nebraska

March 20, 2011

Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Omaha, Nebraska

By Sablemable aka Jan

Our feature home caught my eye in terms of architectural design and oh, Lord, all of the original lights and front door!  At 3525 S. 49 Avenue, the home was built in 1957; there are 6 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and 3,421 square feet.  It appears that the walk-0ut basement had been converted into an apartment, so the kitchen, bath and entry door has been changed.  Darn.  There’s also an addition of a deck, one of those ubiquitous monstrosities that you see today.  Yuck.  However, all is not lost, as the home still breathes MCM style and class.  The price for the home is $189,900.00 which isn’t bad.  For more information, contact Keller Williams Greater Omaha at (402)884-4800.  Photos are courtesy of Keller Williams (www.kw.com).  PS:  some of the rooms I couldn’t figure out what their purpose was, so I’ll be guessing.

I love all of the modern angles and love the front door!

Okay, from what I can gather, the living room is down from the entrance.  Don’t you love the hanging lights, wrought iron and stone planter?

Nice vintage stove.  What kind is it, my vintage appliance experts?  Looks as if the owners changed the cabinets, but you don’t care, do you Saraaaaaaaaaaa because you would tear them out, eh?

I THINK these are bedrooms!  Love the built-ins and the view in the second photo!  The second photo may be the bedroom over the garage.  Maybe.

The kitchen cabinets would have to go, but keep the appliances and the round fluorescent ceiling light.

Here’s the ugly new door.

This final photo is a mystery to me.  Could it be a family room, part of the living room or maybe a master bedroom kitchenette?

This would be a fun restoration project for the price and amount of square feet involved.  Tell me, readers, what would you do to bring it up to MCM snuff?

11 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Omaha, Nebraska

1. Missouri Michael Reply

March 20, 2011 at 8:49 am

I love this place! The living room is amazing, love that planter! I might be wrong, but I’d like to venture a guess that the last picture is a built in bar in the family room that you see in picture #9.

March 20, 2011 at 9:57 am

Hi, Missouri Michael! Good guess on the mystery photo! Yes, I love that planter, too!

3. Barbara Reply

March 20, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Seriously? SIX bedrooms $189,900??? In California…well, you know.

Note to self: Omaha goes on list.

4. Barbara Reply

March 20, 2011 at 12:25 pm

PS: I’ll bet the last pic is the basement with a kitchenette. Very popular back in the day.

March 20, 2011 at 1:09 pm

OK, that’s it, Mike and I are moving to Omaha – like NOW!!! 🙂

And yes, my pink metal cabs are going right in that updated kitchen – but I’m keeping the awesome stove!!!

March 20, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Barbaraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! LOL@ Omaha on your list! There is a photo of the basement kitchen (photo#11)but your guess has been duly noted!

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! The fridge upstairs looks pretty vintage, maybe mid-late Sixties, so keep that one, too.

I’m interested in knowing what exterior colors you would paint the house, Readers. I would probably do white with maybe the aqua/turquoise MCM paint color for the trim.

7. Rav Reply

March 20, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I love the sun room with built in bar! What a view!

March 20, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Wow, the stone and the beams sell me on the house right there! Cheap, cheap, cheap especially considering the square footage! That house would probably be close to twice the price here. I second Missouri Michael’s family room with a bar guess, that’s what it looks like to me as well.

9. Adriane Reply

March 21, 2011 at 12:15 am

This is so so pretty! And so enormous!

I think I’d paint white, too, and maybe keep the black trim, but add a red door. I think the house would look pretty in a nice yellow, too, with some white trim. It needs some serious color out front, but I think maybe landscaping could take care of that. Gah, that roof line is just so good.

March 21, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Holy nuts!!! I love the outside. Gorgeous!

Well, the first thing I would do would be to tear out the pink bathroom…

Kidding! Kidding! 🙂

Actually, the first thing I would do would be to replace the carpeting in the family/living room. Most of it doesn’t look bad, but those stairs look pretty grody. Yech.

Also, is that a Flair in the kitchen????

11. Heather Reply

March 21, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Yes, that is a Frigidaire Flair! Mid 1960’s slide in model with a vent hood. I’m surprised that they didn’t take out the Flair if the kitchen’s been updated since they are a 44″ model.

Those beauties will last forever – mine is a 1962 model and the original owners had 7 kids, so it was used a lot! It still cooks great!