Home » Decade » 1950 » Awesome Escutcheons!!!

April 14, 2011

Awesome Escutcheons!!!

Sara In AZ

_________________________________________

Ahhhhhhhh, the starburst escutcheon, practically the Holy Grail for any MCM house.

Just check out how completely AWESOME Uncle Atom’s front door looks with that yummy escutcheon. Just so y’all know Uncle Atom went the extra mile on his front door and made it extra special with a fabulous Crestview door kit. Uncle Atom, I think we’re all in love! If y’all have not checked out Uncle Atom’s blog yet HERE is a link, be sure to stop on by – it’s lots of MCM fun.

So now I had escutcheons on my mind after seeing Uncle Atom’s spectacular front door. Huh, what’s one to do when you want an obscure item from the 50s or 60s? Well sure, I think I’ll stop on by eBay!

Oh boy, did I find escutcheons! Check it out y’all, seller skynon has tons of old deadstock escutcheons. I was completely amazed at the huge the selection he has! The pictures here don’t even cover half of his inventory, though I tried to show all the MCM escutcheons he has.  Just check out his ‘items for sale’ and be sure to type in escutcheon, and all of his current auctions will pop right up! They are all a bit pricey, being right around the $100 mark  – but if you need an escutcheon this is probably the best selection you will ever have.

Well I’ll be, that sure looks like your escutcheon Uncle Atom! I love this Schlage starburst design, so classic and MCM!

Oooohhhhhh, this Schalge starburst escutcheon is pretty fabulous too.

Here is the same Schlage escutcheon as above only in a brushed finish brass, not shiny.

This escutcheon looks pretty similar to the ones above, at least to me.

But I think it may be a heavier weight escutcheon than the Schlage.

A lovely Kwikset starburst escutcheon. See, I told you this guy had a lot! :)

A sweet little Kwikset diamond shape escutcheon.

I really like this Trimco elongated diamond shape escutcheon!

I thought this Schlage escutcheon was way Fab! The box states this design as ‘Continental’.

Gosh, I really love all the Asian escutcheons too. He has the Schlage Ming design in both red and black.

Finally, the Schlage ‘Manhatten’ escutcheon. So totally cool and MCM.

I guess I’ll need about 7 front doors on my house so I can use all these different cool escutcheons.

I wish! :)

16 Responses to Awesome Escutcheons!!!

1. Uncle Atom Reply

April 14, 2011 at 8:21 am

Thanks for the shout out Sara – I’m with you, so many escutcheons, so few front doors!

April 14, 2011 at 10:39 am

I know Uncle Atom, what are we going to do? ;)

3. Barbara Reply

April 14, 2011 at 11:10 am

I have one on my door similar to Uncle Atoms, but it needs to be refinished. Did you find all of those on ebay?

April 14, 2011 at 11:42 am

Oooohhhhh, lucky you Barbara! Yeah, these are all on eBay from the same seller – just click the link that says ‘skynon’ and type in escutcheon.

April 14, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Beautiful! I love it against that red door. And those Crestview kits are amazing too. I’ve spent many an hour using their door simulator on the front of our house. :) They’re really nice people too.

We have a pull-bar type opener on our front door but if we didn’t, I’d be saving up for one of these starburst ones. I also really love it when they’re on doorbells. Swanky!

April 14, 2011 at 4:26 pm

That red is pretty spectacular isn’t it Eartha, but your front door is really awesome too! I always drool over those Crestview door kits too. I’m telling you, one day I will have a retro door!!!

April 14, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

I have something similar to the last escutcheon, but need the appropriate door.

I also have nice brass escutcheons on the door leading to the garage, escutcheons I was totally unaware of. Nothing fancy, but they’re original!

Love your door, Uncle Atom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 15, 2011 at 1:24 am

Sable are you holding out on us girl? I never knew you had an escutcheon like that! Way to go!!! :) So cool that you have other escutcheons too, that is awesome!

9. MoonDoggie Reply

April 15, 2011 at 3:10 am

I am definitely having one of those on my front door.

April 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Love your front door, Uncle Atom. Totally swank.

Sara! Girl, you are killing me with these!!! Sadly, our original front doornob was replaced with this weird bar thing, so no escutcheon for us, but the original escutcheon AND doorbell on our house were just like the Kwikset diamond.

But those starburst ones, oh my goodness!

April 15, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Ruth, that is a real bummer about your original doorbell and escutcheon. :( Maybe we should try to find you a starburst escutcheon to go with that awesome starburst doorbell you have!

MoonDoggie – Definitely let us know when you get one — we HAVE to see pics!!!

12. San Diego Office Furniture Reply

April 17, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Well, there’s no rule saying you can’t escutcheon interior doors, too. I had always heard the term escutcheon used in reference to armor, but it makes sense that this “shield” around the doorknob would have the same name.

Daisy McCarty

April 17, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Well, that’s not a bad idea at all Daisy. Maybe I will put escutcheons on some interior doors too! Thanks!!!

14. Shermy Reply

April 20, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I got two of these about a month ago (starburst type) at a little antique store for 30 bucks. They arent in perfect condition, but I didnt care for that money! But I must warn you they are sharp! One got dropped on our kitchen island arborite counter top and it left a huge dent!! I was mortified!!

April 21, 2011 at 10:10 am

Shermy – You are SO lucky to have found starburst escutcheons for $30!!!! Wow!!!! Oohhh, sorry about the dent in your counter though. Eeks! Send in pics if you can, we all would love to see your escutcheons.

16. Pingback: Kool Kitsch For Sale on eBay | No Pattern Required