Home » Decade » 1950 » Back To The Texas Sales Y’all!

May 5, 2011

Back To The Texas Sales Y’all!

By Sara In AZ

__________________________________

You know what y’all, I just cannot stay away from those Texas flea market sales! It is pretty bad. I wonder if there is a flea market cure or something? Or maybe a shot that will make me never want to go back again? I guess it’s the thrill of the hunt, because you just never know what you will find there.

And just look at who decided to join Mike and I this time. Yes, your eyes do not deceive you – that is our very own Retro Ruth and her MCM loving husband Tom. Here they are lacquering themselves up with tons of sunscreen. Unfortunately, on the only day Ruth and Tom were at the sales the Austin area had record breaking temperatures. *sigh* Sorry Ruth and Tom, at least they had tons of  lemonade slush for all of us!

Ruth wore a completely fabulous vintage dress and looked totally adorable and I am heartbroken that this is the ONLY picture I have of her. Arrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!! I guess we were all so hot that taking pictures was the last thing on our minds!

So here is what Mike and I saw the next day, after Ruth and Tom were on their merry way back home and I’m sure saying good riddance to Texas and the hell they had just been through. Sadly, the next day was perfect and cool outside. *double sigh*

Here are some really neat display mannequins. I did not get an exact price on any of them, but I know they are in the hundreds. Eeks!

I thought this Daisy Duck, with baby ducks, wall plaque was super sweet. It was priced at $65 so I passed.

I have no idea how much this table actually was and there were no chairs with it. I just really loved the design on the top.

Here are some cool bamboo chairs – perfect for your Tiki room. They were priced at $775 – eeks, way to much for me!

I admit that I was in love with these headvase wall plaques. They were not a true, full, headvase though- it was just the front half and they were made out of chalkware. I thought $45 seemed like bit much to ask for the set, so I passed. For all I know it is probably a great price!

There was tons of vintage kitchen items for sale all over the place.

You could really get your Pyrex fix here!

Just look at all those fabulous glasses!

I thought this children’s donkey cart was really cute. It was $150.

These old fans are just the coolest. I sure wish they made fans like these today! This Westinghouse fan was priced at $45.

Here is a side view of the Westinghouse fan.

They had tons of MCM chairs around the sales. These are not Herman Miller, I just thought the aqua color was really nice. The chairs were $60 each.

I  had to take a picture of this table. It appeared to be a homemade table, but the pink boomerang Formica on top – AWESOME!!!! Love!!!!!

Here is a sweet little cowboy clothing rack. I looked all over for a price but there was nothing on it and the seller was nowhere around.

Lastly, a Gondola couch. I am not sure if this is an Adrian Pearsall couch or not, as there were no tags or markings evident. It believe it had been re-upholstered at some point. I thought it was still really cool looking. The asking price was $895.

Ok, next Thursday – what I found at the sales!

11 Responses to Back To The Texas Sales Y’all!

1. Deb Reply

May 5, 2011 at 7:35 am

LOVE that table (the one without the chairs)!

2. Natalie @ Chadwell Chronicles Reply

May 5, 2011 at 8:44 am

I saw that pyrex booth and the blue chairs! =) The Pyrex was all over priced for me. I like to pay $2ish for one item and they all ran $10 to $25. Haha.

I still need to show you what we bought! Life has been crazy with our kitchen remodel and I just haven’t had the time for anything else! As you can tell by the lack of blog updates. Ooops.

And yes, it was hot and I still hate Houston (which is where we stayed). Haha.

May 5, 2011 at 9:00 am

Sara!!!! Girl, we had a great time with you and Mike, no matter how flaming hot it was outside. (How flaming hot? The answer to that is: pretty darn hot.) And I LOVE that picture!!! Tom and I have a copy of it on the fridge. I have to start posting some more trip pics! I have one of you in your awesome yellow dress, AND Tom took a picture of me lurking inside that pink camper. Eee!

May 5, 2011 at 10:13 am

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! You definately are the Queen of Thrift Sales!!!!!

Love the Donald Duck wall hangings and the tiki furniture.

And Ruuuuuuuuuuuuth! Your dress is the bomb! Cute pic of Tom spraying your legs, LOL!

May 5, 2011 at 10:52 am

I love that little cowboy clothing rack! And the display mannequins are beautiful. And that donkey cart – they have one just like it at that store where you got your Cheese-ola. I think it’s around four hundred bucks!

Good job on the sunblock, Ruth and Tom!

• RetroRuth Reply

May 5, 2011 at 11:10 am

What’s this??? Cheese-ola??? I demand pictures!! 🙂

May 5, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Deb – I completely wanted to bring that table back with us! 🙂

Natalie – I totally agree on the Pyrex prices, way to high. Can’t wait to see what y’all found at the sales, we definitely need to see pics! And good luck with the big kitchen remodel, can’t wait to see pics of that too!!!

Ruth – Lord have mercy it was HOT!!!! Thank God for lemonade slush! Thanks again for coming, it was a blast to have y’all there. And that pic of you and Tom – the best!!! Oh and Cheese-ola – check out my Flickr and look for the ‘Biscuits Discovers Cheese-Ola’ pic. We bought an old Cheese-Ola processed cheese box at an antique store when we visited with Eartha. We just had to get it since Mike loves cheese SO much!

Sable – Thanks! We will have to get you out to the sales one of these days!

Eartha – I completely thought of you when I saw that cowboy clothing rack! WOW! A donky cart for $400, I guess $150 was a steal huh! We were definitely ALL lathered up with sunblock girl!!!

7. Barbara Reply

May 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Is Tom delousing Ruth? What in the world is he spraying her with?

May 5, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Barbara – He is spraying her with sunscreen! 🙂

May 6, 2011 at 12:59 am

The Pyrex booth is making me drool! And I love both of the tables that you featured, wow!

The pic of Ruth and Tom is too cute as well!

May 6, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Andrea – They did have some pretty cool stuff in that Pyrex booth, and it was all I could do not to buy one of those tables! 🙂