Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Cool Schools

May 31, 2011

Cool Schools

By Sablemable aka Jan

I do love a great looking MCM school building, oh, yes I do!

Take a look.

ANTELOPE VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL IN LANCASTER, CALIFORNIA 1958

CARMEL HIGH SCHOOL IN CARMEL, INDIANA 1960

1CA4WHVMD

TWIN FALLS HIGH SCHOOL IN TWIN FALLS, IDAHO 1960

1CAA27WXD

WAUKEGON HIGH SCHOOL IN WAUKEGON, ILLINOIS 1963

1011

MOHAWK HIGH SCHOOL IN BESSEMER, PENNSYLVANIA 1965

EAST LANSING HIGH SCHOOL IN EAST LANSING, MICHIGAN 1962

1623

ARCADIA HIGH SCHOOL IN PHOENIX, ARIZONA 1964

12CAITARQV13

Readers, did you attend a MCM modern high school?

10 Responses to Cool Schools

1. Emily Catherine Reply

May 31, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I did not, but if I live in this same house when I have kids, my kids will! All of our nearby public schools look super MCM (which makes sense since that’s when my neighborhood was built). They look totally modern on the inside, but the exteriors are still the old-fashioned style.

2. Lorie B Reply

May 31, 2011 at 2:54 pm

You should have put a picture of Lakeshore High School. It (was) totally MCM. That is until they remodelled the thing. But pics from when I went are true to the times.

May 31, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Emily Catherine! My high school was and still is old, however, there was a new addition put on I believe in the early Fifties, so it’s half and half.

Lorieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! I would have posted LHS, but the website I belong to (www.e-yearbook.com) didn’t have any of their yearbooks. I agree with you that before the school was remodeled, LHS rocked MCM!

May 31, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Those are gorgeous! I didn’t. Mine was more of a big behemoth old timey looking thing. We have a school near our house that I stop and stare at a lot. It’s a lot like these.

May 31, 2011 at 9:42 pm

My high school wasn’t, but the elementary school that I attended for Grade 5 and 6, as well as my junior high school were! And actually, now that I think about it, every school that my older daughter has attended has been MCM, and the high school that she will attend next year is as well!

6. Barbara Reply

June 1, 2011 at 9:37 am

I did, I did! *raises hand excitedly*
    The building opened in 1960 and looked so similar to the Mohawk HS up there, that I did a double take! Unfortunately as of this year, due to major renovations, not so much mid-century any more >:( Pretty sure it never even occurred to anyone that it is an architectural style worth preserving.

June 2, 2011 at 10:57 am

Love this post, Jan!! We have the most amazing middle school down the street from us. It isn’t really MCM, but more art deco, I think. But the real kicker is the amazing auditorium.
    This one picture DOES NOT do it justice. It is amazing. Tom and I were literally speechless the first time we saw it!

June 2, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Wow, Ruth, that auditorium is gorgeous! I am a big fan of Art Deco, though.

9. jeanette Reply

June 3, 2011 at 10:09 am

Eastwood High School El Paso TX – They’ve redone the front of the school so a current picture doesn’t show the 60’s style. I found, weirdly on Amazon, the cover from the 1973 year book. The upper left corner photo shows the diamond shaped end pieces that were on the roof. They were painted alternating colors when I was student there in the 80’s. I always thought it was a neat, unusual detail on the building.

Click several times on the upper left and it will show closeup detail on the diamonds.
    Otherwise it looked similar to the Mohawk school above – the blue window panels long low buildings.

10. Maureen Reply

May 4, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I did! Mine was built in 1960, and I think it has a MCM look to it. Too bad I didn’t appreciate that when I was going, in the mid to late 70’s.