Home » Culture & Media » Books » Thrift Finds: 1930’s Nancy Drew, Viki Barr, Cherry Ames and Judy Bolton

May 2, 2011

Thrift Finds: 1930’s Nancy Drew, Viki Barr, Cherry Ames and Judy Bolton

By RetroRuth

Attention!!!! My local Goodwill considers all Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Viki Barr, Cherry Ames, Judy Bolton, Trixie Belden and Hardy Boys to be children’s books.

Do you know what that means???

It means that I got…

…of these…

…25 cents each!!!

It was a good weekend.

14 Responses to Thrift Finds: 1930’s Nancy Drew, Viki Barr, Cherry Ames and Judy Bolton

May 2, 2011 at 8:53 am

Girlfriend – total SCORE!!!!! I once sold that EXACT same bookcover – the Nancy Drew/Larkspur Lane – yes, JUST the bookcover for $155!!!!!!!!! If yours has the Margaret Sutton stories on the back yours are worth mucho $$$$ too! Great find Ruth!

• RetroRuth Reply

May 2, 2011 at 9:17 am

Oh my gosh, it totally does! How exciting! 🙂 Thanks for the info, Sara!

May 2, 2011 at 11:22 am

Check out this link on the bay with the Sutton stories on the back cover. This one sold for $200. Eeeeeeee, you SO scored!!!!

May 2, 2011 at 11:25 am

Oh nice! I am totally in envy of your 1930’s Nancy Drews! I am working on a collection of the Donna Parker series, but those ones don’t seem to be as popular.

May 2, 2011 at 1:48 pm

My gosh but what a score! And with Sara’s info…even more so! Lucky! Our thrift stores always put them in the “collectibles” case. You’re lucky that your thrift doesn’t have a clue. I hope that those stickers come off easily. Oh WHY do they have to do those stickers?

5. Toni Reply

May 2, 2011 at 3:08 pm

My mouth literally dropped open as I read that! Man!
    I would almost kill for the original “Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Three Investigators” books (which I preferred to Nancy Drew).

6. Miss RM Reply

May 2, 2011 at 3:10 pm

What an awesome haul! I think I’m especially jealous of the Cherry Ames ones!

May 2, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Sara! Thanks for the link girl, I am super pumped about this. I can’t wait to tell Tom. When I lugged home my big bag of books he just rolled his eyes at me. 🙂

Andrea – Donna Parker, huh?? I will have to keep my eyes open for you!

Eartha – I know!! I kind of feel bad, since they could have gotten so much more. Heck, I was willing to shell out the $1.25 each hardcover book price. When the cashier told me they were 25 cents each I almost fainted! But, I spend a ton of money there, so hopefully it will all even out. 🙂

Toni – I will keep an eye out for that, too! All kinds of stuff pops up around here.

Miss RM – Yeah, I am pretty happy. 🙂 I recently got hooked on Cherry Ames, so I was practially dancing to get some more.

May 2, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Eartha – I LOATHE those stickers. Strangely, the ones on the Nancy Drews came off with no problems, but the rest are just a disaster. I decided just to leave them on the rest rather than just yank them off. What do you think, though? Should I yank them and just deal with the fallout?

9. Miss RM Reply

May 2, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Depending on what kind of glue they used on those stickers, dabbing at them with a damp sponge before you try removing them often helps! I really hate those stickers, too!

May 2, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Way to go, Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuth!

11. DogsMom Reply

May 2, 2011 at 7:46 pm

To get the stickers off I hold a hairdryer over them to make the glue sticky again. While hot they tend to peel off more easily and not leave a trace or (worse) tear the book jacket. This weekend I bought a little golden book at a sale. The price tag was taken off (ripped off) by the seller. If it had been an original and not a reprint copy I would have lost my cool.
    We can often find the newer Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys, but you scored big time with the older version and super prices.

12. Lili Reply

May 3, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I’m jealous. I’d want them all just because of the covers.

May 3, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Intriguing! Please let us know if the sponge or hairdryer methods work well for you. I usually just slowly peel and then whine at the results. 🙂