Home » Decade » 1950 » 1959 Fall and Winter Sears Catalog Part 1

June 16, 2011

1959 Fall and Winter Sears Catalog Part 1

By Sara In AZ

___________________________________

So, I went to this Estate Sale and it was like the last hour, of the last day, of the sale. I didn’t have much hope there would be anything that great left. I scrounged around for a bit a spotted this beat up old Sears catalog laying on the bottom shelf of one of the sales racks. When I say beat up, I really do mean beat up. This catalog is missing it’s first 480 pages, then another section is ripped out from page 880 to 920. It is in pretty fragile condition, therefore I had to actually take pictures of the pages and not scan them. I really love these old catalogs; it is so cool to see all the interesting things that were available to buy back then. For $1 I could not pass this catalog up!

*click on any picture to enlarge it*

These girls petticoats are so darling, it makes me want to snap them all up in adult sizes!

So sweet, just look at all these adorable baby clothes!

I love all the Roy Rogers western gear that is for sale. And check it out, they have a Dale Evans set for all you cowgirls too!

Did young boys ever really dress this nice? Can you imagine if they did today?

Well hello Don Draper! Hubba-hubba! I think all these chaps are going to show up on Mad Men next season. And can you believe the prices —  $52.50 for the MOST expensive suit! WOW!!!

Ummmmmm, I’m really not sure about that vest on the top left. 🙂

What do y’all think?

OMG!!! A chenille ballerina bedspread and a chenille western bedspread. Life simply does not get any better!

Wowee-zowee!!! Cool clocks galore! And just check out those prices – $15 for that big Starburst clock. I’ll take it!

Whoa, I am completely in love with ALL of the pole lights and lamps. Check it out, there is even some lights from Lightolier on the bottom left.

Just get a load of all these retro kitchen accessories! LOVE!!!

WAIT. A. MINUTE. Stop everything, I need a moment here. Is that ‘Frosty’ and ‘Pink’ I see together there as an option on the counter tops? Sears, sign me up for one of those counter tops please!!! And I need that pink sink too, PLEASE!!!!!

I just love these TVs. I think I’ll go with the Suburbanite  Home Entertainment Center in blonde.

I didn’t know Sears sold Motorcycles too! Wow Sears, you totally rock!

Stay tuned for Part 2 from the Sears catalog – next Thursday.

13 Responses to 1959 Fall and Winter Sears Catalog Part 1

June 16, 2011 at 11:39 am

Nice! I scored a 1965 Eaton’s catalogue at a garage sale this weekend. The lighting and the clocks in yours are definitely swoon-worthy and the babies and kids stuff is too cute!

June 16, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Dreamy! I’d gladly take it all. But most of all (you can see this coming) those glorious Western bedspreads!

June 16, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Andrea – Thanks! Ohhhhhhh, that Eaton’s catalog sounds super cool – you should definitely do some scans of that! If only I could get my hands on some of those lights! 🙂

Eartha – I SO want it all!!! You were the first person I thought of when I saw that cowboy bedspread girl! If we could only still find them for $6! 🙂

4. Barbara Reply

June 16, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Honey, until the late 70s, Sears sold EVERYTHING, including homes. If you needed it, Sears had it. It’s sad it’s no longer that way.

5. Lorie B Reply

June 16, 2011 at 4:04 pm

*sniff sniff*

I would give a ton for those chenille bedspreads. Especially the ballerina one. My daughter does ballet and would love it.

WHY did I have to be born 60 years too late??!!?? *sigh*

June 16, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Sara!!! My sputnik light is Harmony House brand! Were there any pictures in there to match my light???

GREAT find!!

June 16, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Barabra – I know, I wish Sears could go back to the way they were.

Lorie B – I hear ya on the bedspreads. I SO wish I could get my hands on some of those today!

Ruth – Thanks!!! That’s right, I forgot!!! I will look and let you know if I see anything. I don’t remember seeing any Sputniks in this catalog, but half the pages were missing so they could have been pictured there too.

8. Miss RM Reply

June 17, 2011 at 11:01 am

There’s nothing more fun to leaf through than a vintage Sears catalogue! This was a great score, despite the missing pages!!

June 17, 2011 at 11:35 am

Miss RM – You are so right, I loved looking through this old catalog!

June 17, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Poor little Sears catalog! I have both the 59 S&S and F&W intact, but had to pay dearly for them.

Too bad we can’t buy those lamps on the cheap!

Great post, Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

11. jamie in Hollywood Reply

June 20, 2011 at 12:38 pm

When I look at things like this I notice how good design is classic and can always be in style. The sweater on the boy and the men’s suits will always be in fashion. The women’s however are often at the whim of the times and I’m afraid very much show their era but those men’s things could be worn today and still be considered chic. Clean lines and basic restraint will always be in fashion. Of course, they might not be much fun. Let me see a snood and shoulder pads or a mini skirt and boots and I know exactely what era I’m in!, (and what party I’m at. Pierre, are you wearing that mini skirt again?!)

12. Dawn Reply

June 23, 2011 at 9:08 am

I just bought a 1959 Ranch two months ago so very new to the MCM life! Found your blog and am really enjoying it. I go to antique stores and thrift stores and look for 1959 stuff myself…And I LOVE this catalouge! I have those yellow canisters pictured. I just bought them last weekend. How exciting! I have not ventured yet into tag sales…But thats next on my list….

June 23, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Jamie – It is pretty amazing how the men’s suits look like they could very much be worn today and you would never know the difference. Now, if we could only find them for that price!!!

Dawn – Hi! Welcome! How awesome that you found those exact same canisters, they are SO cute. We would all love to see pics of your 1959 ranch, if you have the time e-mail some to sara@nopatternrequired.com