Home » Decade » 1940 » Funny And Ridiculous “Gags And Gals” From The Prelinger Archives

June 25, 2011

Funny And Ridiculous “Gags And Gals” From The Prelinger Archives

By RetroRuth

Yep, that’s right. These girls are in giant boxes. You see, they’re mail-order girls, ordered by Ted Jones in “Oskosh”, WI (yep, it’s spelled wrong in the film) who wants a wife, but wants to have his choice of women mailed to him. In the end, he decides which charming girl to keep by…oh, wait. I’m not going to ruin the ending for you! You are going to just have to watch for yourself!

“Gags and Gals” from the Prelinger Archive contains three musical shorts, “Male Order”, “At Your Service” and “Playmates”. All are fun Forties dancing and singing numbers with cute hair, ridiculous costumes and even  more ridiculous plot lines.  My favorite parts include the girls pictured above try to dance in giant boxes, and the girls in “Playmates” trying to tap-dance on grass. Good times.

6 Responses to Funny And Ridiculous “Gags And Gals” From The Prelinger Archives

June 25, 2011 at 9:00 am

Wow! Those were awesome and kinda creepy. But mostly awesome! I’ve never seen so many bloomer shots in my life.

June 25, 2011 at 8:47 pm

That box dancing, I don’t know. Looks like all they could really do was go in circles and bend a little. 🙂

And Eartha is right — I can’t believe all those bloomer shots!!!

3. ae Reply

June 26, 2011 at 10:23 am

Too funny!

4. jamie in Hollywood Reply

June 26, 2011 at 5:08 pm

When I watched these and started laughing out loud I heard my mother’s voice in my head saying, “Don’t ever laugh at your forebears. Future generations will be doing the same to you.” Still, what fun! Brought a real smile. I could see the weariness in some of their eyes. These were contract hoofers and probably had been through the ringer before they filmed these show fillers. The last one was a real hoot and the guy was prettier than the girls! The juxtaposition of the “innocent” dancing around the maypole, (and anyone who knows the real meaning and origin of the maypole well,) that brings a knowing smile!

5. Jess Reply

June 29, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I actually have the sheet music for “Playmate” that my grandmother owned! It was so neat seeing that skit played out.

6. Jennifer Reply

June 30, 2011 at 1:11 pm

The first skit is the original version of The Bachelor on ABC. (Not that I watch those reality shows!). Too cute