Home » Decade » 1960 » Jewel Tone Purses

June 9, 2011

Jewel Tone Purses

By Sara In AZ

_______________________________________________

I spotted this Poodle Purse in an antique store awhile back, but I was in one of those “I’ll think about it” modes. After we left the store I kept on talking about this Poodle Purse over and over and over to my husband who was probably about to go insane with all this Poodle Purse talk! I decided that I had to have it, but when I went back to the store the purse was gone. I was heartbroken. A few days later, after my husband and I had finished dinner one evening, I walked through the living room and there was my Poodle Purse sitting on the couch! I could not believe my eyes!!! Mike had gone back to the store, all on his own, and bought the purse for me. Did I ever tell you how much I love you sweetie!!!

So now I was on a quest to find out what this purse was all about. There were no markings or manufacturers label anywhere. I thought the purse looked very similar to the Enid Collins style purses, but there were no Collins marks on this purse. I hunted around the internet and eventually found out that my purse was a kit purse called Jewel Tone and you put together the purse entirely on your own. How cool is that! Wow, I wish they still had these kits around today in Joann’s or Michael’s. Jewel Tone handbags were manufactured by a company called General Crafts and these purses retailed for approximately $10.

Here is a deadstock Jewel Tone purse that seller http://myworld.ebay.com/ucc.vintageclothing-2009  sold for $44.99. I think this purse is completely adorable with the seahorse and shells on it.

Here is a close-up of the leaflet from the ‘Sea Shells’ purse auction.

Here is another deadstock Jewel Tone purse. Seller http://myworld.ebay.com/popgems  sold this sweet ‘Red Roses’ handbag for $50.99.

Here is a picture of the original box that the ‘Red Roses’ handbag came in.

And here is a picture of the leaflet from the ‘Red Roses’ purse auction. I spy that ‘Sea Shell’ purse in there!

Here is a cute little horse and buggy purse called ‘Carriage’ that seller http://myworld.ebay.com/open2cu2day  had for sale for $50. This handbag is obviously already put together, but still comes with it’s original box.

Here is a sweet little Jewel Tone purse called ‘Flowers’ sold by seller http://myworld.ebay.com/sbonquist  for a mere $9.49.

Here is a close-up of the leaflet from the ‘Flowers’ purse auction.

And here is the original box from the ‘Flowers’ purse auction.

I found a few close-ups of some Jewel Tone purse brochures at this link –

click the link for more brochure pictures.

Hooray, there is my Poodle Purse #902!

Now I’ll probably be on the lookout for more Jewel Tone purses!

Does anyone else out there have a Jewel Tone purse?

22 Responses to Jewel Tone Purses

1. Sharon Reply

June 9, 2011 at 7:23 am

I can’t believe I’ve lived this long knowing nothing about Jewel Tone purses. I want every single one and even that won’t be enough!

I bet the woman who made your sweet poodle purse really put a lot of time and effort into placing each jewel and making everything juuuuust right!

June 9, 2011 at 8:46 am

That poodle purse is pretty much awesome. Love it, and love the story that goes with it! Mike is the best! 🙂

But I have to say I have a crush on that peacock purse. I am going to have to keep my eye out for that one!!

3. Inky Reply

June 9, 2011 at 9:54 am

I LOVE Jewel Tone purses. I found a deadstock kit last year for a very low price of $20 and snatched it right up. I hemmed and hawed about making it but it was meant to be – fun to make. If you ever make one Gem-Tac glue is perfect for replacing the glue in the kit. Here’s mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/inkyknits/5201740580/

June 9, 2011 at 9:55 am

Sharon – That is what I thought – why haven’t I ever heard of these before now?!?!? I agree, it looks like the lady who assembled my purse had quite an eye for the detail – it’s perfect! 🙂

Ruth – You know, Mike really is the best. There are not many guys who would go out and buy a poodle purse on their own! 🙂 That peacock purse is completely awesome and I love that owl purse too.

June 9, 2011 at 10:02 am

Inky – $20 is a steal! Your purse is really beautiful and that is so awesome that you assembled it. You are so right – these are supposed to be fun things to make! 🙂 Thanks for the tip on Gem-Tac glue too!

June 9, 2011 at 10:58 am

GLORIOUS!! Every bit of it.

7. DrJulieAnn aka The Modern Retro Woman Reply

June 9, 2011 at 11:12 am

I’d never heard of it before and now I’ll be on the lookout, too! How absolutely kitschy adorable!!!

June 9, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Eartha – Thanks so much!!! 🙂

Dr JulieAnn – Thanks and I have a feeling you will have one in the near future! 🙂

9. Kelly D Reply

June 9, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Awww, I wish my husband would do something sweet like that! I love the purses though, I want one of each! 🙂

10. Toni Reply

June 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Those are cool! Why doesn’t anyone make those anymore?

11. Jen Reply

June 9, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Wow, these are so cute! And what a great hubby, too. 🙂 They’re all darling, but I have to say, your poodle purse takes the cake (or the eclair?)!

Why have I never heard of these before?

June 9, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Kelly D. – You never ever know, your hubby could surprise you one of these days. I suggest you talk literally non-stop about something you REALLY want (like I did) 🙂 and then he just might get the hint!

Toni – I SO wish they made these kit purses still, maybe we need to talk to someone about this! 🙂

Jen – Oh gosh, thanks so much! I have to agree I LOVE the poodle purse the very, very most of all the purses too. And yeah, where have these purses been all of my life??? 🙂

June 9, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Wow, these purses are so cute! I am definitely digging your poodle one, Sara, I think that and the peacock are tied for being my faves. The owl pretty cute, too. I am so going to be on the hunt for one of these now! Mike definitely is a sweetie to go back and get it for you, for sure! 🙂

June 10, 2011 at 1:15 am

Awwwww, thanks so much Andrea! Mike is definitely a sweetie! Please let me know if you ever come across one of these purses, I would so love to see it.

15. thissideofgaudy Reply

June 10, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I have two of these in their original boxes; #1154 Wedgwood Blue and #906 Butterfly. The Wedgwood Blue has the instructions and a flyer included. There are some purses in the flyer that are not in your post, but I don’t know how to put a picture of them here.

16. Miss RM Reply

June 15, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I had no idea your poodle purse was made from a kit! I’m swooning over the peacock and the owl options, too!

June 15, 2011 at 8:54 pm

thissideofgaudy – That is completely awesome that you have 2 of these bags in the orig. boxes. If you want to e-mail some pics you can send them to sara@nopatternrequired.com.

Miss RM – I had no idea it was a kit purse either until I started researching it. Crazy huh! Those other purses are fab too!

18. Pingback: My Vintage 1960s Enid Collins Purse Collection | No Pattern Required

19. reneee Reply

September 5, 2015 at 9:01 pm

I have a jewel tone purse made by my grandmother. What a treasure!!! The rooster!

20. Sharon Reply

August 13, 2016 at 9:02 pm

I bought a Jewel Tone purse for $2 at a thrift store today. It caught my eye because it looked so much like an Enid Collins. I couldn’t find a mark, and the handles are plastic, so I knew it was a knockoff. A little research led me to believe it’s a Jewel Tone. I love it, and intend to use it as a knitting bag.

21. Dianne Presley Reply

September 6, 2016 at 7:44 am

I have a jewel tone hand bag. In the original box and paper work. It was my aunt’s.

22. Debbie Hartzman Reply

December 5, 2016 at 5:03 pm

I found TWO that my MIL had made. I’m keeping the peacock and gifting the cable car. Originally I was thinking thrift shop but the more I looked at them, the better I liked them. How could I give this beautiful bit of family craftiness away?