Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Mid-Century Modern Hospitals

June 28, 2011

Mid-Century Modern Hospitals

By Sablemable aka Jan

I know!  I know!  Who in their right mind would get overly excited over hospital buildings!  Well, think of it this way; we’re not patients and we’re only going to look at the outside, not inside.

Images are courtesy of CardCow (www.cardcow.com).

CHARLESTON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL-CHARLESTON, WEST VIRGINIA  OPENED 1951

CHARLESTONMH

BETHESDA HOSPITAL- ZANESVILLE, OHIO  OPENED 1965

BETHESDAZANESVILLE

ROCKFORD MEMORIAL HOSPITAL-ROCKFORD, ILLINOIS  OPENED CIRCA 1958

ROCKFORDMEMORIALROCKFORDIL

NEW BISHOP CLARKSON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL-OMAHA, NEBRASKA   OPENED 1955.  INTERESTING NOTE ABOUT NBCMH-IT WAS TOTALLY AIR CONDITIONED!

NEWBISHOPCLARKSONMH

COMMUNITY HOSPITAL-ALMONT, MICHIGAN   OPENED 1958-59.

COMMUNITYHOSPITALALMONT

BAPTIST HOSPITAL-ALEXANDRIA, LOUISIANA   OPENED CIRCA 1953    LOOK AT THE NEON SIGN!

BAPTISTHOSPITALALEXANDRIA

NEW HANOVER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL-WILMINGTON. NORTH CAROLINA     OPENED 1967

NEWHANOVERWILMINGTON

HUNTERDON MEDICAL CENTER-FLEMINGTON, NEW JERSEY    OPENED 1953

HUNTERDONMC

COUNTY HOSPITAL-SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA   UNKNOWN YEAR OPENED.

COUNTYHOSPITALSACRAMENTO

PARKVIEW MEMORIAL HOSPITAL-FORT WAYNE, INDIANA   OPENED CIRCA 1957

PARKVIEWMEMORIALFTWAYNE

SAYRE HOSPITAL-SAYRE, OKLAHOMA   UNKNOWN YEAR OPENED.

SAYREHOSPITAL

CARLISLE HOSPITAL-CARLISLE, PENNSYLVANIA    OPENED 1961.

CARLISLEHOSPITAL

ROYAL ALEXANDRA HOSPITAL-EDMONTON, ALBERTA    UNKNOWN YEAR OPENED.

ROYALALEXANDRAEDMONTON

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!  Do you know when this new structure was built?  I couldn’t find any information online about it.  O Canada, you do some gooooood MCM buildings!

Great structures, eh?  And aren’t those classic automobiles the grooviest?

15 Responses to Mid-Century Modern Hospitals

1. Barbara Reply

June 28, 2011 at 11:11 am

Sacramento’s “County Hospital” was started in the 1800’s. The building you pictured was dedicated in 1950. In 1973, it became part of UC Davis and was renamed UC Davis Medical Center. It is the leading trauma hospital in Sacramento.

A very interesting history of the building up to 1975 is here: http://facilities.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/past/histmc.pdf

And here is the center now: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/medicalcenter/aboutus/about.html

Thanks for leading me to look up that info about my town; seriously interesting.

2. Shannon Reply

June 28, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I did a bit of research on the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Edmonton and the building pictured was opened in 1963. http://www.epl.ca/infofile-detail?subject_detail=Royal%20Alexandra%20Hospital%20-%20History

To confirm this is the right building, as they have more than one, I went to here: http://www.ualberta.ca/~sc33/docs/rah-map.pdf, then did a Google street view.

That Sacramento hospital could pass for a hotel from the design of it.

June 28, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Barbaraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!
    Shannonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!! A big thumbs up to you both for finding the years those 2 hospitals were built!

The County of Sacramento’s website was confusing to me and the Royal Alexandra’s site was equally frustrating in regards of its history.

Yep, Shannon, the Sacramento Hospital does look like a hotel.

How about the Sayre, Oklahoma hospital? Looks like a MCM house doesn’t it?

Thanks again!

4. Lorie B Reply

June 28, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Jaaannnnn!!!! Our very own (former) Memorial Hospital was opened in 1951. This is a link to a website with old postcards of the area and it has one of the hopital in the year it opened.

Enjoy!

5. 60's Sal Reply

June 28, 2011 at 4:10 pm

The Almont, MI hospital really looks the same now as it did then. Which is really spectacular, in my retro opinion!

6. Barbara Reply

June 28, 2011 at 4:50 pm

7. Barbara Reply

June 28, 2011 at 4:51 pm

And yes, Sayer looked like an old house. Looks like this now:

But they are raising money to build a new one altogether.

8. Barbara Reply

June 28, 2011 at 4:55 pm

60’s Sal: Is it still a hospital? I show no hospitals in Almont, MI. Is it renamed or a clinic or something?

June 28, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Lorieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for finding the hospital photo! I have one around here someplace and couldn’t find it. I was born there 3 years later.

How about that creepy Napier Bridge postcard? Dunno if you remember that bridge, but I do and it was a scary ride over it!

Barbaraaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! Thanks again for the info! Sayre looks boring now.

60’sSal! I like your retro opinion, LOL!

10. Lorie B Reply

June 28, 2011 at 6:44 pm

EEK! That bridge over Napier Ave. I would cry everytime my folks would go that way cause I hated it so much. Blah! those old shots of St. Joe are wild to look at as well. Times sure have changed…and I don’t really know if they have for the better or not sometimes. *sigh*

June 28, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Lorieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!! Glad you remembered it, LOL! I can’t remember when the new bridge went up or whether I had driven the old one. Either way, the old one was still creepy. My mother always prayed before crossing it.

That shot of downtown B.H. was just as wild.

12. 60's Sal Reply

June 28, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I believe it is some kind of a clinic now. I sure couldn’t find any information though. Almost like it never existed!

My dad’s cardiologist used to have an office in the building there (I always thought it was odd that the doctor saw patients in an ofiice in the hospital). He would go there to have periodic stress tests, etc. My mom and I would eat in the cafeteria while we waited for him.

Now I’m really curious. Maybe, I’ll have to take a drive over that way…

June 28, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Saaaaable! Shannon beat me to it – the original Royal Alexandra Hospital was opened in 1911, but that building is in fact 1963. I am actually originally from Edmonton! (I live 45 mins south now).

June 29, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! Stunning building. I’ll bet the inside was just as MCM stunning back in 1963.

60’sSal! Interesting fact on a doctor having an office in such a small community hospital. Is the building been remodeled inside?

15. 60's Sal Reply

June 29, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I’m sure the inside has been remodeled inside now. The exterior is now bright blue where it was white around the windows.

When we were going there to see my dad’s doctor, the interior was not updated. At the time, my mom and I thought it was quaint and old-fashioned. She never cared for ‘modern’ style (as she tells me over & over)and I hadn’t yet discovered my mid-mod passion. Now I would be going ga-ga over it and begging them to call me if they were remodeling!!