Home » Decade » 1950 » The Motel Safari on Route 66

June 30, 2011

The Motel Safari on Route 66

By Sara In AZ

A few years ago I had the pleasure of staying at the Motel Safari In Tucumcari New Mexico.   It was one of those nights when you pull off the road, dead tired, after driving all day and you are not sure where to stay.  Motel Safari was one of the first hotels we saw and we went for it.

Tucumcari is on old Route 66, so they have a lot of these type of ‘old school’ motels. Some of them looked run-down, others were completely closed, but others were being brought back to their Route 66 livelihood.  Motel Safari is definitely one motel roaring back to it’s Route 66 glory days! Motel Safari is located at   722 E Route 66 Blvd  Tucumcari, New Mexico 88401 and the phone number is (575) 461-1048. Click HERE for the link to their website.

Here is a picture of the motel when it was built back in 1959. It was originally a Best Western and had no camel on the sign.  Sometime in 1962 the Best Western Crown was removed and the camel was added. The motel had a  pool that was enclosed inside of the block walls on the right. The pool has since been removed, and that area is now a patio.

Here is a picture of the entryway and check-in area as it looks today.

Here is a picture of the same entryway at night. Those cylinder lights are the original lights from 1959 and spray a star like pattern all over the walls when lit up. So cool!!!

Here is the room I stayed in – Room 37. I love the brick on the outside and how it is all painted in alternating colors.

Here is the inside of the room. The beds and bedding were all new. All the rooms have Sealy Posturepedic pillowtop mattresses and Pacific Coast down surround pillows. The rooms also all have flat screen TVs!

Here is that flat screen TV I was telling y’all about. This is the original desk/vanity and chair that was in the room back in 1959! It is SO cool that they kept some of the original furniture, and it still looks great too.

Here is a view looking toward the bathroom. I just love that little screen on the top!

Finally, here is the bathroom. All original folks, and in superb shape too!

It was a real pleasure to stay at the Motel Safari. I will definitely be back again!

11 Responses to The Motel Safari on Route 66

1. Dear Helen Hartman Reply

June 30, 2011 at 8:08 am

What a fun glimpse at a Route 66 icon – love it and your blog, now following (your blog, not Route 66, though some day….)

2. Shelly in PHX Reply

June 30, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I can’t imagine the lengths I would go to get my hands on that desk/TV stand! Love love LOVE!

June 30, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Dear Helen Hartman – Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed the post! You should definitely check out Rt 66 and stay at the Safari………..someday! 🙂 Great blog too girl!

Shelly – I was completely in love with that desk. I was wondering if they would notice it missing from the room if I tried to sneak it out, probably huh! 🙂

June 30, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Boy, do those motels bring back sweet memories! I’ve always wanted to get my kicks on Route 66, so thanks, Saraaaaaaaaaaaaa for the preview!

Great, great post!

July 1, 2011 at 1:37 am

Sable – Those kind of motels are the BEST! Glad you enjoyed the post!!! 🙂

6. Mary-Frances Main Reply

July 1, 2011 at 10:38 am

Do you mind if I run an excerpt of this and a link to this post as a review on Mid Century Motels! Looks like a great find!

July 1, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Mary-Frances Main – Yes, feel free to link to this and post an excerpt. I am glad you liked the post and the motel is definitely one worth stopping at!

July 1, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Holy crap, Sara! This is beyond awesome! What a find. And that desk is amazing. Wow.

9. Missy Johnson Reply

July 1, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I hope whoever buys this house that they leave it intact. It breaks my heart when somebody on those home improvement shows gets a hold of a house like this and starts swinging a sledgehammer- especially to that woodwork and bathroom detail!

10. Missy Johnson Reply

July 1, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I meant motel, lol.

July 2, 2011 at 2:58 am

Ruth – If y’all are ever traveling through there – like on the way to AZ!!! You will definitely have to make it a point to stay at the Safari!

Missy – Oh no worries, I talked with the manager/owner when I stayed there and he said he wanted to keep all of the period details intact. YAY!!!