Home » Culture & Media » Advertising » Vintage Tiki Postcards Including A Weeki Wachee Mermaid

June 20, 2011

Vintage Tiki Postcards Including A Weeki Wachee Mermaid

By RetroRuth

I’ve been digging around in our boxes of precious, precious collectibles lately (read: our junk room), looking for bits and things that I can use for art on some of our more…naked walls in the house.

While digging through one of Tom’s old boxes, I came across his mother’s collection of vintage postcards, which she had given to Tom. And I found a TON that would be great framed, alone or in collages.  These are some of the tiki/beach-themed postcards that will eventually be on the walls of our future tiki room:

Milwaukee Tiki Postcard001

The Melanesian Ceremonial Men’s House from the Milwaukee Public Museum.

Tiki Postcard002

Vintage Maui postcard, 1976.

Tiki Postcard003

Romantic Cove on Jamaica’s North Coats, 1969.

Tiki Postcard004

“Beautiful waterway along Las Olas Boulevard, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida”, 1967.

Tiki Postcard005

Union Pier, Michigan, 1964.

“Lake Michigan with its beautiful beach makes Union Pier a favorite vacation and resort area.”

Tiki Postcard006

The Broadwater Beach, Biloxi, Mississippi, 1975.

Tiki Postcard007

Outrigger canoe, Waikiki, 1976.

Tiki Postcard008

Jack & Jill Ranch, Rothbury, Michigan, 1971.

“Where your every vacation wish comes true!”

Tiki Postcard009

Tiki Postcard010

And last, but not least, a Weeki Wachee mermaid postcard, 1968!

7 Responses to Vintage Tiki Postcards Including A Weeki Wachee Mermaid

June 20, 2011 at 9:34 am

Ooooohhhhhhh, I just love that Weeki Wachee mermaid postcard, so sweet!!! Cool postcards Ruth!

2. Tom Reply

June 20, 2011 at 11:44 am

Junk room? Or junk rooms?

June 20, 2011 at 11:54 am

Union Pier, just down the road from me!

Don’t know if I would have liked modeling for the mermaid card-gators galore! Ouch!

4. Lorie B Reply

June 20, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Union Pier is about 3 miles from me. I am trying to figure out which beach that would have been at…I am guessing Warren Dunes State Park…which is about a mile and a half away, between my town (Bridgman) and Union Pier. Beautiful area. Thanks for sharing.

June 21, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Hehe, does everyone have a junk room? I call ours our hoarding room, LOL. Those are awesome postcards, Ruth! Now, how are you going to display them? I have a lovely set of 10 reproduction Hawaiian travel postcards that a friend gave me a couple of years ago, but I have no idea how to display them, I would love to see what you end up doing with yours!

6. Maggie Reply

June 27, 2011 at 4:11 am

wait….i’m so confused…. my mom has postcards from Maui and Waikiki ?!?

and why did Tommy get them? I called them! oh wait….I called the little smoking man statue……

• RetroRuth Reply