Home » Decade » 1960 » A Patriotic Gallery of Mid-Century Decorating

July 4, 2011

A Patriotic Gallery of Mid-Century Decorating

Or Some Red, White and Blue Rooms for July 4th

By RetroRuth

I hope everyone is having a fabulous, firework-filled Fourth of July! Since it is a holiday, I thought we could celebrate in true mid-century style and drool over some crazy-fabulous red…

July Fourth Rooms 65008

July Fourth Rooms 65002

…and blue rooms!

July Fourth Rooms 65009

These images come from some awesome 1960’s decorating books I got recently at our local library’s book sale. It was a major, major haul. And I love them dearly. They are chock-full of 60’s fabulousness.

Click on any of the images below to view the rooms!

[nggallery id=3]

11 Responses to A Patriotic Gallery of Mid-Century Decorating

1. Betty Crafter Reply

July 4, 2011 at 9:46 am

So gorgeous! Can’t wait to see more images from your haul. I LOVE old decorating books.

July 4, 2011 at 1:37 pm

What a fun tour! Though, there is something odd about that room that has the tiny single bed with the two big chairs. It’s like, “Oh no…you sleep…we’ll just sit here and watch you.” Maybe there’s a second bed just out of sight. Or maybe the second person sleeps on that pile of little pillows in the floor.

Happy 4th!

3. Toni Reply

July 4, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Ha! My 2 year old saw the blue room from across the room and ran to the computer screen yelling “Blue’s Clues!” and pointed the the chair with all the circles, which looks a little like Blue’s paw print. Maybe a LOT like Blue’s paw print!

July 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm

For some reason I am really intrigued by that red swirly paint bathroom, but I super love that lavender metal kitchen!!!

July 4, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Don’t you just feel like you’ve died and went to heaven whenever you find a treasure trove of MCM mags/books, Ruth?

That red bathroom would sure wake you up in the mornings!

I’m with you, Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Love the lavender kitchen!

July 5, 2011 at 12:42 am

Put me down as another one who loves the lavender kitchen – gorgeous! The blue room with the large chairs with the circle cushions – are those basically papasan chairs?

• RetroRuth Reply

July 6, 2011 at 8:29 am

Andrea – I think they are just big papasans!

7. blackberry Reply

July 5, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I have a 12 volume set that looks like late 60s to mid 70s. The pics are crazy, now that I’ve seen them a few times I’m thinking of listing the set on ebay. The wallpapered rooms floor me. Like, everything is covered.

July 6, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Ruth – hmmm, I may have to experiment at some point. I have a papasan chair in my living room, but it doesn’t really fit. This could definitely give me some ideas here!

July 6, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Blackberry – They did love their wallpaper, didn’t they??

Sable – Every single time I stumble on a book filled with vintage images, my heart starts pounding!

Toni – YES! Blue’s Clues exactly!!

Eartha – I agree, totally creepy. 🙂

Betty – There will be more very soon!

July 6, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Andrea – I love the metal base of the chair. Do they even make papasan chairs in metal now, or just in rattan?