Home » Culture & Media » Carhops

July 12, 2011

Carhops

By Sablemable aka Jan

A big frosty mug of root beer, french fries hot out of the deep fryer and a gooey coney dog delivered to you on a shiny metal tray  by a carhop while you sat in your car.   Yum!

A&W ROOT BEER AD

(Photo courtesy of www.vintageadbrowser.com)

AWVINTAGEADBROWSER

Sometimes the carhop would come to your car and take your order, or sometimes you could call in your order from the stall.  A sweet voice would answer, saying, “May I take your order, please!”

MENU

(Photo courtesy of www.worthpoint.com)

worthpoint

A CARHOP AND CUSTOMER

(Photo courtesy of www.thedailygreen.com)

10153115

BOB’S DRIVE-IN AND CARHOPS

(Photo courtesy of www.bhsclass67.blogspot.com)

BHSCLASS67

JIMMY’S DRIVE INN

(Photo courtesy of www.goretro.blogspot.com)

GORETROBLOG2

COCA-COLA TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THE DRIVE-IN RESTAURANT TO PROMOTE THEIR SOFT DRINK.

(Photos courtesy of www.vintageadbrowser.com)

COKE2VINTAGEADBROWSER

COKEVINTAGEADBROWSER

THE MAJORETTE THEMED UNIFORMS WERE POPULAR ATTIRE FOR THE CARHOPS.

(Photo courtesy of www.joesherlock.com)

JOESHERLOCK

(Photo courtesy of www.princesmemories.com)

PRINCES

Here’s a twist to the carhop image; a young man, on roller skates, no less!

(Photo courtesy of www.goretro.blogspot.com)

Male skater sonic

Okay, ‘fess up.  Who out there used to be a carhop?  I’ll be the first!

9 Responses to Carhops

July 12, 2011 at 11:11 am

Jan! You used to be a carhop?? How awesome!! I could never be one…I never got the hang of roller skates. I was always an embarrassment at Skate Capitol. :)

We have a new A&W by us that is a drive-in, and Tom and I love it!

July 12, 2011 at 11:34 am

The closest that I’ve ever come to a carhop is the girls at Sonic. And they don’t roller skate. Though one DOES call me “hon”.

3. Lorie B. Reply

July 12, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Jan…where did you car hop at? I worked at Roxy’s for more years than I care to admit to, but they had stopped the car hops by then. Actually, I remember going there and getting food with a car hop.

They still car hop at Mikey’s in Bridgman. My folks like to go over and have a root beer and share an order of fries. I think it is their ‘date night’. :D

July 12, 2011 at 4:06 pm

LOL, first off, yes I was a carhop, but not on roller skates!!!!!!!

Ruuuuuuuuuuuth! Love A&W! Wish they, or Dog ‘n Suds was still around over here.

Earthaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! I heard that Sonic was going to put the carhops on “wheels.” That, would have ended my career!

Lorieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! Yep, I worked at Roxy’s Brown Lanturn, starting in 1970. I had just missed wearing the majorette boots (darn) and the corny hats. I worked there through high school, then became a waitress in a bar. Quite a step up, eh? LOL!

5. Jen Reply

July 12, 2011 at 9:46 pm

What a fun post! I’ve never been a carhop—not so awesome on skates—but always loved going to drive-ins with carhops! Still do, in fact, there are plenty of them out there. There’s an A&W by my old apartment in Michigan that I liked stopping into for a root beer float after watching the classic cars cruise on Woodward. The Parkette in Kentucky has ‘hops, too. :)

Now I really, REALLY want a root beer float…

July 13, 2011 at 1:38 am

Ahhh, I can remember going to A&W as a kid and the carhops bringing our food out and the trays that hung on your window! I was too young to have been a car hop, but that’s probably ok since I am terrible on roller skates, hah! Too bad all of the A&Ws here are drive through now.

July 13, 2011 at 1:44 am

Sable! We need to see a pic of you as a carhop ASAP!!!!!

July 13, 2011 at 2:54 am

PS, Lorieeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! I forgot about Mikey’s!

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeen! I want a root beer AND a coney dog (or two) Woodward Avenue; you must have lived in Detroit, girl!

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! LOL, our local A&W was located behind a liquor store. You could eat your dog and fries and watch the winos.

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! You would have to ask for a photo, LOL! Unfortunately, I never had one snapped. But the uniforms changed when I began-no more boots! Waaah! Do they still make majorette boots?

9. Charlotte Reply

August 8, 2011 at 7:21 pm

You can still be one! There’s a drive-in near my mom’s house in Ypsilanti, Michigan called the Chick-Inn. It’s been there since the ’50s and is still open, complete with neon chicken sign and carhops! No skates, though.