Home » Decade » 1950 » Our New Heywood Wakefield Bed

July 7, 2011

Our New Heywood Wakefield Bed

By Sara In AZ

_________________________________________________________

Mike and I have wanted a Heywood Wakefield bed for a super long time. We have also wanted a king size bed for a super long time. As many of you know, they did not really make many Heywood beds to fit a king size mattress back then. We were kind of at a loss as to what to do, so we waited and waited and waited.

We really loved the StyleMaster king size bed the new  Heywood Wakefield company manufactures, but we just could not afford to buy that bed right now.

So, we waited some more………………………………..

And then one day I found  a listing on Craigslist for a Heywood Wakefield bed! It was magic I tell you! Pure magic!!!

Here is a scan from my Heywood Wakefield value guide showing the bed we found.

It is an M540 Double Utility Headboard w/Swing-Apart Twin Bed Frames. The double headboard comes with clamps from the factory, so you can use it either as a king headboard when it is clamped together or take it apart and use it as 2 twin headboards. We also have the original heavy duty bed frames that came with the bed.

I was pretty psyched to finally get my hands on a king size Heywood headboard! And here is our new bed y’all!

I already had some king size sheets that I picked up a while back – they were on super sale and I was hoping one day I’d be able to use them. Looks like that day finally came! I did not have a bedspread though. I was kind of at a loss as to what I should get. My Mom had some coupons for Kohl’s so I looked around and found this sweet little bedspread. I really like the green color and I thought the pattern that was woven in had a kinda old time-y feel to it.

The bed was in super good shape and I love the little storage areas in the headboards. I think it’s a keeper y’all!

Ahhhhhhh, I think it is time for a nap now……………………… 🙂

16 Responses to Our New Heywood Wakefield Bed

July 7, 2011 at 9:34 am

Totally, totally gorgeous!!!!

July 7, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Wow, absolutely gorgeous! I agree that the bedspread has a bit of a retro feel to it, too!

July 7, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Ruth – Thanks girl! 🙂

Andrea – Thank you so much — and thanks on the bedspread too! 🙂

4. Toni Reply

July 7, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I think my grandfather had that headboard!

July 7, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Toni – Awesome!!!!

6. Betty Crafter Reply

July 7, 2011 at 8:11 pm

What a find! I’m so totally jealous of your king size bed! The bedding you chose is perfect. We recently bought a Heywood Wakefield Riviera bedroom set, but we’ll be squeezing our butts into a full size bed. Yikes.

July 7, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Betty – Thanks so much!!! 🙂 How totally awesome to have a whole bedroom set of Heywood furniture. Eeks, a full size bed huh. I’ll have you know, if I had found a whole Heywood bedroom set here with a full size bed we would be squeezing our butts in there too! 😉

8. jamie in Hollywood Reply

July 8, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Heywood Wakefield is wonderful. Congratulations!

July 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I love it! And am kind of obsessing over that bedspread. I love the color and pattern.

July 9, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Jamie – Thank you!

Eartha – Thanks so much!!! And thanks on the bedspread too. Do you have a Kohl’s around? You should check them out in person. They had a turquoise-ish one that was cool too.

11. cotty Reply

September 6, 2011 at 2:03 am

Gorgeous!!! I have a question… these are two single bed mattresses or one king size mattress ? I have always wonder… LOL…. I see these headboards in vintage magazines with what it looks like two bedspreads… Every time I see one of those I ask myself how it feels to sleep with two single mattresses together LOL…..

12. Sara In AZ Reply

September 6, 2011 at 11:38 am

Cotty – I guess??? back in the day that is how they did it – 2 single mattresses pushed together. Now all king mattresses come with 2 single box springs and one king size mattress – that is how ours is.

13. Jacquie Reply

June 25, 2012 at 10:53 am

I was fortunate to find one of the Heywood Wakefield colonail looking daybeds on CL about a year and a half ago. It’s marked and has a trundle, it was just a wonderful find. I also was shopping at one of my favorite thrift haunts about a year ago and found a twin HW Kohinoor frame…REAL tough to find the matching pieces without spending more than your home is worth!! Maybe someday…*sigh*. They are beautiful pieces of furniture…I feel blessed.

14. Jacquie Reply

June 25, 2012 at 11:02 am

Oh, I forgot to mention, my husband and I have a king size Kent Coffey bedroom set…the “Sequence” also found on CL..so COOL! Two nightstands, dresser and mirror, and highboy. My headboard is also Kent Coffey, but I had it before the other set came into my life… “Perspecta” style, but it goes just fine together!!

• Sara In AZ Reply

June 25, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Wow!!! Jacquie, it sounds like you have some really amazing furniture! That is sooooo cool that you found so many great things on c-list, I just love hunting on there too! 🙂 And that is super awesome that you found a H-W bed frame at a thrift, totally jealous!!!

15. Pingback: Thank You Craigslist For Metal Cabinets, Heywood Wakefield and Retro 50s Couches! | No Pattern Required