Home » Decade » 1960 » 1963 Retro French Provincial House With Vintage NuTone Music Center and Original Vintage Tile

August 11, 2011

By Sara In AZ

_________________________

Mike and I are continuing our retro house hunt here in AZ. I came across this house in one of my searches, but there was not enough 50s/60s kitsch for us, so we passed on this one.

There were some really sweet design details in this home. I thought this home had a slight lean towards the French Provincial style, let me know what y’all think.

Here is the front. It was a nice ranch design! Sorry the picture is not better, the sun was working against me.

The entry had a nice slate floor and stone planter. The slate was also in the entry on the inside of the home.

There was a very large nice stone fireplace.

The home had a nice storage area in the family room with a wet bar.

And check out the Nutone Music Center. Pretty cool!

I had to snap a picture of the handle on the sliding door – very atomic!

French Provincial looking cabinets line the hallway. I have to admit all that storage was enticing!

The bathroom had a sweet tiled bath/shower area.

Here is a close-up of the tiles. They were cute little French scenes.

Another tile close-up. Really cute.

Here is the vanity in the same bathroom. You can see the same decorative tiles are here too.

This was the Master Bathroom.

Here is a close-up of the tile and faucet. I am guessing??? these faucets are original, but I am not totally sure. The green tile was pretty cool though, I especially liked the tile with the embellishment on it.

This was the Roman shower/tub area in the Master Bathroom.

Finally, here is the kitchen. Unfortunately it had been updated at some point along the way, but they did keep that cool old Vent-A-Hood.

So, what do y’all think French Provincial-ish? No? Yes? 🙂

16 Responses to 1963 Retro French Provincial House With Vintage NuTone Music Center and Original Vintage Tile

1. Pat Reply

August 11, 2011 at 9:22 am

Very French Provincial, I think. Not my style, but it’s a nice house. The style and decor (maybe not all of the kitchen) are coherent and look in great condition. Definitely a find for someone who wants this style!

August 11, 2011 at 10:38 am

Sweet house! I love the tile with the French scenes and that gilded ironwork in the Master bath. Oh, and the built-in stereo…that rock fireplace wall…those built-in cabinets…the range hood…the front entry.

Wait, I love this house! It does have a lean towards French Provincial in spots.

3. Brini Reply

August 11, 2011 at 10:49 am

There are certainly French provincial touches, but I’d consider it more Hollywood Regency – a pastiche of modern and traditional styles. Very chic! I want those doors from the hallway storage for my kitchen.

4. Barbara - The Tattooed Housewife Reply

August 11, 2011 at 10:50 am

THAT HOUSE IS AMAZING!!! I love the hiding record player and the bathroom!!!

August 11, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Pat – It was a nice house, for sure. I was wondering what the kitchen looked like before the remodel??? Perhaps the same type of cabs as the hallway? Hopefully whoever bought it loves it to pieces.

Eartha – It really was a sweet house. I adored those little French tiles in the bathroom and the Nutone Music Center = AWESOME!!! I could just picture the Mr spinning records on it as we sip martinis. 😉

Brini – Thanks for the comment! I think you are right a combo of Hollywood Regency and French Provincial! Brilliant!!!

Barbara – Thanks! 🙂 It was a pretty special house!

August 11, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Not my personal taste either, but if you were into that style, it would definitely be a great house, as it’s well done, and the theme is continued throughout. I do love that NuTone music centre, though, that is awesome!

August 11, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Sara! That Nutone music center is AWESOME! Love it! Love it! And I must say the tile is pretty cool, too…but yeah, not exactly my taste either!

8. Sharon (Charm and Poise) Reply

August 11, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I would like to take a bite of that beautiful house!

August 11, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Andrea – It was definitely well done, but yeah, unfortunately not our taste. We will have to keep on looking…………….

Ruth – I wonder if the Nutone Music Center is still there? I should try to beg the new owners to let me have it!

Sharon – Yum! 🙂

August 12, 2011 at 10:58 am

Well, if I was given this home, I would learn to embrace FP, LOL!

Loved the atomic boomerang sliding door handle! Me want!

11. Lynn Reply

August 12, 2011 at 11:32 am

Oh, My, My mother-in-law has the SAME sound system in her house. They built it in about 1962. There are speakers in all the rooms. It has an intercom system. I have never seen another one like it.

They used to have a great tile floor in the basement but my father-in-law tore it up a few years back. I was sad about that. The new floor looks so “cheap” in comparison.

August 12, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Sable – I would too! 🙂 I thought you would like that handle!

Lynn – How awesome is that! I hope they will always keep it. This house had an intercom system with speakers in all the rooms too. So cool! Super bummer about the floor though. 🙁 Was the old floor VCT? I’m guessing they went with sheet vinyl now.

13. Peter Reply

October 2, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Great website! I found my Nutone music center on Craigslist. It came out of a 1962 custom house built by an electrician. The fourth door in the photos opens to reveal a reel-to-reel recorder/player. I have a 1961 custom “Coolonial” which I found on Redfin and purchased in a short sale in 2008. Am now slowly redoing it; however, the construction in these houses is simply amazing – not a single foundation crack or shift in the stucco after all these years…and I’m in San Diego!

Looking forward to more reading at this site. Thanks for your contribution.

October 3, 2011 at 10:42 am

Peter – How awesome that you found a Nutone Music Center on C-list! SO glad you found us and are enjoying all of our posts. Please send pics of your Coolonial, I’m sure it’s fantastic and we would love to check it out!

15. jim Reply

May 20, 2013 at 1:01 am

That’s Hollywood Regency all the way. Gorgeous!

16. Jacki Reply

April 22, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I ran across this while looking at Sara’s new home. I only wish we had been shopping for a house 2 years earlier in Phoenix; I would have bought it. This home is wonderful! I hope the folks who bought it thought so too and kept it intact.