Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement: On The Home Front, Part 1

August 19, 2011

MCM Home Improvement: On The Home Front, Part 1

By Sablemable aka Jan

Well, nothing has been done around here this summer.  I started out calling area masons and painters and nobody returned my calls.  This was back in May.

Then on Monday of this week, I decided to call different contractors and got immediate replies from two.   The painter, Ken Blaske of Ken’s Painting Service in Sister Lakes, Michigan, 1-800-350-0791 came by last night to discuss my painting needs.  Now, I’m not one to automatically hire the first person that darkens my doorstep, but, I am going to make the exception with Ken.  He did a thorough job of  assessing the exterior trim.  Of course, good ol’ Bob was there to listen and ask questions.  But……..

Houston, we have a problem.  The entire gutter system and downspouts, all 1955 originals, all steel, are rusting out, but what Ken saw and showed us that SOMEONE HAD PAINTED OVER THE RUST, DISGUISING THEM!  I do believe I know who did this, but it wasn’t the original owners, nor was it me and Bobby.

Ken was very honest in his assessment and said it would be a waste of time and money to slap paint on the gutters.  Anyway, we decided to get the gutters and downspouts replaced ASAP, then ring up Ken to come a-painting.    I’ll be able to give you a cost estimate on the painting and the cost of new gutters next week.

But, on a happy note, I believe I have found the color I wish the trim to be painted.  Behr Paint calls it Asparagus and in the photos I’m about to show you, the color shows up lighter than what it is.

Here is your chance, readers to help me decide if I should paint the entire garage overhead door all the same color or do a pattern.   Take a look.

I truly value your suggestions and comments, readers, so feel free to interact with me.

Next Monday, August 22, a mason will pay me a call regarding stone work.

14 Responses to MCM Home Improvement: On The Home Front, Part 1

1. Trish L Reply

August 19, 2011 at 12:26 pm

No pattern on the garage door. We have MCM 1955 and our door is the same color as the body of the house to blend in. Our trim and the additional outdoor accents add the flare to the house. BUT …if you want it to stand out, a pattern is the way to go. Best of luck and I love the color choice.

2. deb Reply

August 19, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I like the pattern. If you do it and don’t like it, you can always just paint in the ones you left out…

3. DAWN Reply

August 19, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I like the pattern…And agree with the above reader…You can ALWAYS change it if you dont like it…

4. 60's Sal Reply

August 19, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I really like the pattern…It’s very eye-catching.

August 19, 2011 at 3:03 pm

At this point I am leaning towards the pattern. What’s the rest of the trim on your house going to be painted like?

August 19, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Trish! Thanks for the input, girl! I kind of want it to stand out, since everything around here is so, well, plain looking. But I still haven’t made up my mind.

deb, Dawn, 60’s Sal!!!!! I tried a couple of different ways to paint the retangles, and this pattern looked the best. Thanks for the scoop, ladies!

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! The soffits, the gutters, the downspouts and the garage service door and entry door will remain white. I’m certain that I want to paint new gutters. I could, to save money, just do the pattern on the overhead and leave the rest of the house trim white.

What do you think, readers? Talk to me!

August 19, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Saaable! Since most of your trim is going to be white, I would say definitely go for the pattern!

August 19, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Pattern Sable!!! Pattern!!! Jazz the neighborhood up!

PS- That really sucks about the painted over rusty gutters. 🙁

9. Helen Hartman Reply

August 19, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Pattern. Two-tone is the way to go vintage in style.

10. Suzanne Reply

August 19, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Why settle for two colors? Why not make it resemble the Mondrian Inspired look?

11. Nick Klaus Reply

August 19, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I was going to suggest painting all the inner panels white and leaving the framing parts yellow.

12. Betty Crafter Reply

August 20, 2011 at 9:23 am

Ok, I’m going to go against the grain here and put in my vote for all one color. If you want to incorporate two colors, I think it would look nice to paint the trim around the door one color and the door another. Either way you do it, it’s going to look fantastic!

13. Alan Reply

August 20, 2011 at 11:41 am

My vote is for a pattern, but make it all evenly sized rectangles. I also like the idea of painting all inner panels white leaving the outer panels yellow.

August 23, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Good going, friends! I like your ideas! Thank you!!!!!!