Home » Culture & Media » Vintage Holiday » Christmas » Plastic Reindeer + Painted Wooden Mushrooms = Happiness

August 24, 2011

Plastic Reindeer + Painted Wooden Mushrooms = Happiness

By RetroRuth

It’s amazing what ridiculous stuff makes me happy.

IMG_6159

I was recently moving things around in my craft room after some major alterations and reorganizing (pics coming soon!)  when I stumbled upon a little plastic bag filled with mini-plastic Christmas wonders.

IMG_6160

It’s kinda silly how happy these little things made me. Not to mention the amount of time spent  arranging them so I could photograph them just right. Time in which I could have probably done more organizing, truth be told.

IMG_6152

But looking at these guys reminded me of why I really love vintage stuff. The colors. The whimsy. The uniqueness of fun designs that you just can’t find for sale today.

It also reminded me that my craft room is overflowing with examples of vintage whimsy. Literally.

IMG_6156

“Help us! We are being suffocated by love!”

So, more things have been posted on the blog store Mid-Century Mine, which is great stuff that I would love to keep, if only I had the room!

Actually, these gorgeous navy Mandel’s Skyscraper heels are being listed by Sara in AZ, and I am totally in awe of these.

“Awe” as in “Awwww…I wish these were my size (They are a 6.5)!

IMG_6047

This adorable Marushka sailboat print is my contribution to the store this time around. I recently put up a TON of vintage artwork in my craft room (I’ll post pics soon! I swear!) but my Marushka sailboat prints, all three of them, didn’t make the cut. The other two will be listed very soon!

So, I’ve confessed that little pieces of molded plastic make me happy. What unusual or crazy vintage piece makes you guys happy??? Come on, share with us. You know you want to!

7 Responses to Plastic Reindeer + Painted Wooden Mushrooms = Happiness

August 24, 2011 at 6:05 pm

The beard on that Santa just kills me! As for a crazy piece that makes me happy, I think it would have to be one of my salt and pepper shaker sets – I have one that is a fire hydrant and the other part is a dog who is lifting his leg up on it! It cracks me up every time I look at it!

August 24, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Those little Christmas ornaments are SO adorable Ruth! Love!!!

I have to say all my vintage stuffed animals put a smile on my face every time I look at them. 🙂

3. Mia Reply

August 24, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I am particularly fond of the mushrooms. I remember my mom making all sorts of crafts with these. I have to admit that vintage Snoopy things (i.e. the sno-cone maker) makes me feel like a kid again!

ps. I tried the disneyland tuna burgers and they are divine!

August 25, 2011 at 9:13 am

Andrea – Isn’t that beard the greatest?? Ha ha ha! That S&P sounds awesome, and totally crazy. 🙂

Sara – You and your stuffed animals! That is so fun…

Mia – I love those mushrooms as well, and I totally had that Snoopy sno-cone maker! I loved it!

Oh, and I am glad you liked the tuna burgers, they were so good!

5. Shannon Reply

August 25, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I’ve got the snowman and angel in the second photo, along with a Santa with his sack, but they’re each standing at the edge of a red cut-away bell with silver glitter around the opening and a gold plastic bow at the top. The year marked on the bottom is ’75.

• RetroRuth Reply

August 25, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Shannon! That’s awesome! Thanks for the info – I always love finding out exact dates for my treasures. 🙂

6. Cat G. Reply