Home » Decade » 1950 » Craigslist SCORE!!! Pink American Standard Bathroom Sink and Toilet

August 25, 2011

Craigslist SCORE!!! Pink American Standard Bathroom Sink and Toilet

By Sara In AZ

So, as you know from last week, I was checking out what Craigslist had to offer. I am pretty lazy about checking Craigslist really, maybe I will check it every week or so. Maybe longer.

I’m sure I miss a lot of cool stuff because I am not that great at checking Craigslist all the time. It was about a year ago that I checked Craigslist and just missed getting an awesome Crane Criterion pink sink and toilet. By the time I contacted the seller someone else was on the way to pick it up. Oh well. I guess someone else in AZ likes pink bathroom stuff besides me! Every time I go on Craigslist I always have to check if there is any pink bathroom stuff available.

And it looks like this was my lucky day!

Wait, what – FREE????? *Angels Singing* Am I reading this right. Did they just say “Free”? A FREE pink toilet and sink??? I was like completely freaking out. My mind was racing, “Is it still there?”, “What am I going to do with a pink sink and toilet right now?”, “Will Mike even go for this?”. It was a long shot y’all, but I knew I had to take a chance. I cleared a pink toilet and sink pickup with Mike first, and then I called the number in the listing. The lady said the toilet and sink were in great shape, they just needed cleaning, and that, yes, they were still in the alley. This was around 2pm. I thought “Crap, will they still be there at 6pm when Mike gets off of work?” I told her that I did want them and that I hoped they were still there when we came by later to get them.

I’m nervous. I’m pacing. I’m waiting for Mike to get home so we can go get the pink sink and toilet just sitting in that alley. Minutes seem to take hours to pass.

Finally Mike gets home from work and we take off to Scottsdale to collect our pink toilet and sink. The lady calls when we are on our way, “Do you still want the bathroom stuff? Because if you don’t I have about 3 or 4 people who called after you who want it too. I wanted to give you first dibs though, since you were the first one that called”. Ummmmmm, YES I still want it, and then I told Mike to put the pedal to the metal!

I was almost surreal driving through that alley, looking for the pink toilet and sink. I was worried every second that they would be gone already. That someone cruising the alleys had just picked them up, not realizing they already had an owner. And at last there they were, sitting out in the hot sun and dirt, just waiting for us to pick them up.

Here is our new pink American Standard toilet. It is in really great shape, it just needs to be cleaned like she said. And the white toilet seat – that has gone to toilet seat heaven y’all.  We will put a pink one on there when the time comes.

I love it!

Yes, the toilet and sink are both marked “Standard”.

Ahhhhhhhh look, Made In USA.

And here is the matching sink. It is the same color pink as the toilet. It definitely needs a cleaning too, but I love it just the same!

All I need now is a pair of chrome legs and I’m all set!

Oh, and the right house to put them in too! 🙂

Now I’m left wondering who are all these other people in AZ who want pink bathroom stuff????? Hmmmmmmmmm…………………………

16 Responses to Craigslist SCORE!!! Pink American Standard Bathroom Sink and Toilet

August 25, 2011 at 9:04 am

Love, love, love, love, love!!! Great find, Sara! Can’t wait until you guys get that mid-century dream house, and we can see these girls all clean and shiny and in their natural envoirnment. 🙂

2. Betty Crafter Reply

August 25, 2011 at 9:46 am

I agree with Ruth – your time has come – your dream house will be making an appearance soon, I just know it! I can’t WAIT to see all the fabulous things you’re going to do with it!

August 25, 2011 at 9:55 am

Total score! It makes me giggle to think about not-so-vintage-interested folks stumbling across this post and saying, “They were driving like a bat out of Hell to get WHAT???” Those look like the same color as ours so if you ever want to go ahead and stock up on a toilet seat for cheaper than the online toilet seat companies sell them, let me know. We got ours on Amazon and it was waaaaay cheaper.

And I agree, if all of these finds that you’re stockpiling aren’t telling the universe to send you that dream house, then nothing ever will! It’s like a hope chest but WAY bigger and better. Talk to the ghost, if you get my drift.

August 25, 2011 at 11:38 am

Ruth – Thank You! I can’t wait to put these little pink gems to use, they will look spectacular when they are all cleaned up — and in their natural environment! 😉

Betty – Your mouth to God’s ears! 🙂 I hope our dream house finds us SOON so we can finally stop looking — and get all of our stuff out of storage!!! Please, please, please!!!

Eartha – I thought about non-vintage loving people reading this and thinking just that! 🙂 I will have to chat with you about the pink toilet seats, for sure! I hope and pray everyday that the universe sends us our retro dream house. I think the ghost has mine and I NEED to talk with him soon!

August 25, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Ha! Non-vintage loving people would have taken one look at that poor filthy toilet and hit their back button as fast as they could!

6. Sharon (Charm and Poise) Reply

August 25, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Yaaaaaay! Congrats on the excellent free find!

August 25, 2011 at 1:54 pm

What a find! And for free, too, no less! I have been looking at blue toilets and people always want big $$ for them here.

8. Barbara Reply

August 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Free is the best!! I hope it cleans up well for you!

9. Lesley Reply

August 25, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Awesome! I love CL for this very reason. If you have a hard time tracking down the pink toilet seat, let me know. I’ve got a salvage place near my house with about a thousand pink, yellow, blue, green toilets and seats and other parts. And, I’m sure that Deabath will have the right faucet and hardware for you when you’re ready, too.

Happy pink!

10. Shelly in PHX Reply

August 25, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Oh, yeah…SERIOUSLY jealous over here. Gorgeous!

August 25, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Ruth – SO true!!! They could not have gotten away from it fast enough!

Sharon – Thanks so much!!!!

Andrea – I just could not pass up on “free”! Don’t give up on that blue toilet, I just know there is one out there for you!

Barbara – Free is totally the best! Thanks!!!!

Lesley – Awesome house you have there! C-List is really great!I might just be contacting you about that salvage yard if I need anything else. That place sounds fantastic!!!

Shelly – Thank you so much! You will have to send in pics of your Phoenix finds someday!!!

12. Cathryn Reply

September 4, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Great find! I have recently purchased a house in Maine that still has a vintage pink bathroom – all except for the toilet, that is. Don’t know what the former owners plans were but the toilet is almond-colored! The sink is definitely American Standard and probably from the 50’s as is the tub and the wall tile.

I have been exhaustively searching the Internet for a matching vintage toilet but without success. Please send me any suggestions or leads so I can complete the vintage look and feel of my bathroom. Thanks

September 5, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Cathryn – Thank you! Sorry about your missing pink toilet. 🙁 First let me say I am SO thrilled you are keeping your pink bathroom – that makes me happy beyond words!

There are a lot of options for you. I would definitely check Craigslist ALL the time. You could score one for free like I did. Also, check out any architectural salvage places in your area, they might have vintage toilets for sale there. You can also check http://www.deabath.com they specialize in vintage bathroom pieces! Antique stores might also have some vintage bathroom items, I have seen tubs and toilets there before too. Lastly, make sure that it is the same color pink, to match your existing bathroom fixtures, as there were many different shades.

Don’t give up on finding that prefect toilet. It is out there, it just take patience and perseverance! Good luck and we definitely want to see pics of your bathroom!

14. chris Reply

September 12, 2011 at 1:47 pm

i just pulled out a pink tub wall mount sink and toilet from 1950. what are they worth? anyone know? i live at the beach in nj. thanks

September 12, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Chris – I think it is really hard to put a dollar amount on your vintage bathroom items. As you can see, I got mine for free, minus the tub. The market really plays a big deal in valuing these items, and the condition too. I would say a fair-ish estimate would be in the $100-$300 range for all 3 items, at least that is what I have seen here in AZ. You can always start the price higher too, and see if you get any bites!

16. c.norris Reply

June 26, 2016 at 3:54 pm

I have this identical toilet, the seat has been replaced.I recently upgraded, I hear there is a market for it,can i find out more c