Home » Vintage Travel » Travel Ideas » The Donut Whole In Wichita, KS

August 13, 2011

The Donut Whole In Wichita, KS

By RetroRuth

I love road trips. Love ‘em. There is nothing more fun that getting out of the car in a place where you have never been before and finding something completely unexpected and awesome. Like an amazing antique store. Or a gorgeous sunset.

IMG_4716

Or a giant fiberglass chicken hawking donuts.

IMG_4720

Welcome to the Donut Whole in Wichita, Kansas, where you can see a bunch of funky retro fun stuff, get an amazing homemade buttermilk donut and then wash it down with a great cup of coffee.

IMG_4722

If you can be patient enough to wait in the huge line.

If you can be patient enough to wait in the huge line while everything around you smells like the best donut ever.

If you can be patient enough to wait in the huge line while everything around you smells like the best donut ever without gnawing your own arm off!!!

IMG_4723

Yeah.  It was tough.

But we did it.

To reward ourselves, we ordered 6 donuts instead of just two.

IMG_4724

Ummm…seriously???

Holy yum.

IMG_4725

I had the best intentions with these guys. I really did. We were meeting up with Sara in AZ and her husband that night. I meant to save them two donuts. I really did.

Really.

IMG_4728

But they didn’t make it that far. I don’t even think these made it out of Kansas alive. The worst part was, Sara called us to see where we were and I think my mouth was full of donut (one of the donuts I meant to save for her) when I answered the phone.

Sorry, Sara!

IMG_4718

But at least Tom got his picture taken with a giant chicken.

Which is really what road trips are all about, right?

8 Responses to The Donut Whole In Wichita, KS

August 13, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I think a few little teeny tiny scraps made their way to us the next day. 🙂 Now I can see why you could not hold yourself back though, this place looks awesome! I guess you should have gone for the dozen! 😉

August 13, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Holy cow, those are some good looking donuts! Is that one red velvet?

3. Erika Reply

August 13, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Anyplace that has pink flamingos as decoration is aces in my book! But those donuts do look incredible. 🙂

August 16, 2011 at 10:50 am

Sara – Did I bring you some??!?!? I couldn’t remember! Thank goodness. I thought you might see this post and kill me!

Andrea – Yep, totally red velvet. But the best one was by far the cinnamon roll. Yummy!

Erika – I agree, once I saw how cool the inside was, I wouldn’t have cared if the donuts had tasted like ash. But luckily they were super, super good. 🙂

5. Jessie Reply

August 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm

As a Wichitian I can confirm that those donuts are amazing. I have to make at least one trip a week! Maple Bacon are the best!

6. Glenda Reply

August 17, 2011 at 9:48 am

Okay – so this is not far from where I work. If I would have know you and Tom were going to be in Wichita, I would have made a point to come say “HI”. Hope you enjoyed the donuts – they make a killer “bacon” donut.

And I do LOVE LOVE their chicken – I have taken photos of it myself!

August 18, 2011 at 1:21 am

We moved from Wichita to the East Coast almost exactly a year ago & the last thing we did on the drive out of town was get a dozen at the Donut Whole. Many special occasions we celebrated there. Thanks for the memories!

8. Ashley Reply

August 19, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I found my way here from Miss Sews-It-All . . . and yay, Wichita! And people commenting about Wichita!

It’s my hometown, I’m nostalgic. I haven’t been to the Donut Whole, I believe it’s new since I left 6 years ago. In the old school Delano district, maybe?