Home » Culture & Media » Advertising » The Prince of Wales Hotel, London, 1969

August 22, 2011

The Prince of Wales Hotel, London, 1969

By RetroRuth

Grab your passport, everyone! Today I am whisking you away to London, 1969, where everything was mod and mini, and you could stay at fabulous places like this: The Prince Of Wales Hotel.

Prince of Wales Hotel002

Two minutes from West London Air Terminal. Situated in the Royal Borough of Kensington only a few steps from Kensington Gardens. Fully licensed Cocktail Bar.

Prince of Wales Hotel003

Restaurant, a la carte. Coffee shop open until Midnight.

Prince of Wales Hotel004

The Hotel is adjacent to the Royal Albert Hall and convenient for all parts of the West End, Olympia, Earls Court and West London Air Terminal.

Prince of Wales Hotel005

Colour Television. Lifts to all floors. 350 bedrooms, majority with Private Bathrooms. ALL ROOMS have Telephone, Radio, and Television point.

Prince of Wales Hotel006

Prince of Wales Hotel007

Prince of Wales Hotel001

Have a lovely time! Cheerio!

10 Responses to The Prince of Wales Hotel, London, 1969

1. Betty Crafter Reply

August 22, 2011 at 9:13 am

Loving those bars! That look would be pretty easy to replicate in a basement. Oh I wish we had basements in Texas…

2. Shannon Reply

August 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Looking at Google Street View, it looks like that hotel is long gone and just an empty building when Google went down the street. Too bad it isn’t still there.

3. DrJulieAnn aka The Modern Retro Woman Reply

August 22, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I love this line:
    “350 bedrooms, majority with Private Bathrooms.”

August 22, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Oh man I wish this place was still here, it looks AWESOME!!!! I would beg Mike to go over to London just so we could stay at this place!

5. Molly D Reply

August 22, 2011 at 6:34 pm

What great pictures of this hotel! I’ve always wanted to stay in the midcentury wonderland hotels in Palm Springs (CA) but there’s nothing more authentic than these pics. I’m loving your blog… I feel like if my blog and your blog were people they would be friends 🙂

6. Shannon Reply

August 24, 2011 at 11:30 am

“I think we forget that it really wasn’t all that long ago (or, at least it seems to me because it was during my lifetime) that shared bathrooms in hotels weren’t really that uncommon!”

At a lot of hotels in London, that’s still the case.
    But I gotta have my own bathroom there!

August 24, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Glad you guys liked this!!

Yep, Shannon. Sadly this hotel is long, long gone! And yes, Shannon & Dr. JulieAnn, we did see quite a few places in Europe last year where a private bathroom was considered an “upgrade”!

Sara – I know what you mean!

Betty – The bars blew me away too! Want!

Molly D – Awwww! Happy that you found us, and I hope our blogs can be great “friends”!

8. Sylv Reply

February 6, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I stayed at this hotel for 6 weeks in 1984. It hadn’t changed much. It was not a nice hotel, but for group of college kids on a study abroad trip, it fit the bill, meaning, it was cheap!

9. Richard Reply

June 12, 2016 at 12:02 am

I had the pleasure of staying at the P of W hotel, in De Vere Gardens, Kensington, in early 1968 and it was positively great ! At that time many rooms were not equiped with private facilities, nevertheless it met the purpose and was quite affordable at that time..

10. Cat Reply

June 12, 2016 at 6:50 pm

I also stayed several days at the Prince of Wales in 1984, and it looked about the same. The bar area was almost identical to the picture.