Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage Crafty » Embroidery » This IS your granny’s crafting! Embroidered Squirrels Edition

August 9, 2011

This IS your granny’s crafting! Embroidered Squirrels Edition

By Betty Crafter

I was not kidding, y’all, when I said I needed to cleanse my craft palette after the creepy clown production of last time.  I wanted something cute that I’d enjoy making and actually WANT in my house.  And friends, there are no two words sweeter to this Betty’s ears when said together than “vintage squirrel.”   It was a very happy time indeed, then, when I happened across these lovely vintage Vogart embroidery transfers!

Look at those adorable squirrels!  Gah!  And they’re obviously having a conversation about cute things like rainbows and babies and maybe that little bluebird overhead.  All this sweetness brought a little tear to my eye and I knew that Little Betty just HAD to lay her precious little head to sleep each night on a pillowcase adorned with my new squirrel friends.

Too cute, right?  I just started with a simple plain white pillowcase and added a pink velvet ribbon and white eyelet trim.

And in case there are any other craft nerds out there, here’s a shot of the backside of the work:

As you can see I decided to forgo my sewing machine in favor of hand sewing the trims.  Hand sewing is a bit of a lost art, I think, and sometimes it’s quite nice to take the time to do it, although I’m not the best at it.

Now, this Betty does indeed love to be crafty, but embroidery is not my medium of choice.  Sure, I dabble, but I usually turn to my knitting needles or sewing machine when given the chance.  But I really enjoyed this project!  It was easy-peasy and turned out pretty well.  I loved it so much that I might even do some kitchen towels. I ran across this vintage Vogart pattern on etsy that’s just screaming for me to make it…

9 Responses to This IS your granny’s crafting! Embroidered Squirrels Edition

August 9, 2011 at 9:36 am

Soooooooooo cute, those squirrels! Great job, Betty!

Cant’t wait to see your anthropomorphic fruits! I think that stewed pear is completely sloshed! : )

2. Pingback: Another craft adventure on No Pattern Required! | Betty Crafter

3. ELS Reply

August 9, 2011 at 10:01 am

Love the pillowcase! There are a whole bunch of free vintage transfer designs online. One site is Vintage Transfer Finds (http://mytransfers.blogspot.com/) and I have also found some on (and through) Feeling Stichy (http://www.feelingstitchy.com/)

4. Betty Crafter Reply

August 9, 2011 at 11:02 am

Thanks Eartha – I knew you’d be feeling the squirrels!
    ELS, thanks so much for the heads up on mytransfers! Too much cuteness there and I think I’m going to have to get started right away!

August 9, 2011 at 11:57 am

How completely adorable! However, I was hoping you could have at least stitched a clown or two on there as well! 😉

August 9, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Super cute! I am impressed with how neat the backside of your work looks as well – mine never does, LOL

August 9, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Lovely and totally adorable!!! Can I ask, how long did it take you to finish the squirrely embroidery? It always takes me FOREVER to finish an embroidery project. 🙂

8. Lynn Reply

August 10, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Great job on the pillowcase.
    I love the animated fruit patterns. I’m a sucker for animated kitchen stuff. Slap a face and hands on some teacups or silverware and I’m in heaven. Actually, I just stitched up a happy silverware tea towel for my son’s girlfriend. She will be living in an apartment this year at college. I thought an embroidered tea towel was JUST what she would need.

9. Rosa Reply

August 22, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Good information. Lucky me I discovered your site by accident (stumbleupon).
    I’ve book-marked it for later!