Home » Decade » 1960 » My Vintage 1960s Enid Collins Purse Collection

September 29, 2011

My Vintage 1960s Enid Collins Purse Collection

By Sara In AZ

I was inspired by Betty Crafter’s  recent post on her AMAZING Enid Collins purse collection. If y’all haven’t seen her post on her Enid Collins purses yet you should definitely check it out!

I thought it would be fun to show you what I’ve found along the way, even though my collection is pretty small. I suppose I don’t have many purses because I am kind of cheap-o about buying Collins Purses. The average price I paid was right around $20, but some I even found for $5.

All Collins purses usually have cute names printed on the purse associated with the design of the bag. I just love that!

*Click on any picture to enlarge it*

This first purse is called Pavan. I looked up the meaning of the word pavan and it is related to a peacock’s courting movements. Well I guess that makes sense, seeing as it looks like those two birds are making the ‘eyes’ at each other!  I think the birds are real sweet and I really like the green color.

This next Collins purse is called Carriage Trade. I think this purse is one of my favorites because every time I look at it I think of Cinderella and her carriage. So sweet!

My next Collins Purse is called Cable Car. I think this one is so cool because of the San Fransisco scene painted around the Cable Car and the Golden Gate bridge in the background. Unfortunately this purse is missing 3 stones, which drives me insane! You cannot just go down to Joann and pick up jewel stones like these either, believe me I’ve looked. If anyone has a pear shaped diamond/clear stone and pear shape emerald color stone along with an emerald color multi-faceted round stone, from a Collins Bag, that you do not need please let me know I will gladly buy them from you!

This Collins purse is called Les Fleurs. It is interesting when you compare it to the purse below – they are the exact same purse but this one has no strap/latch.

Here is another Collins Les Fleurs purse. This one actually came with the original box. Crazy huh! I got this one from an estate sale where this lady was crazy for Enid Collins purses. There literally must have been 100 purses there. A lot of them were still in the original boxes. I don’t think this purse had ever been used.

Here is the back of the Collins Box.

This is my last Collins bag. It is a canvas bag and not a box bag. This one is also the only purse I have that does not have a name stamped on it. However, it still has the Collins stamp on the bottom and on the inside of the purse.

This last purse is NOT a Collins purse, but the Jewel Tone kit purse I showed a while back HERE. I just wanted to show how the 2 canvas bags were very similar in idea and size. I have to say that even though this is not a Collins purse, this is probably my very favorite bag that I own. I mean a poodle, come on, who doesn’t LOVE a poodle bag!!!

Now, if only I could get my hands on one of those fish/seahorse Collins purses!!! 🙂

I hope y’all enjoyed seeing my Collins Purses!

9 Responses to My Vintage 1960s Enid Collins Purse Collection

1. Betty Crafter Reply

September 29, 2011 at 9:15 am

What a great collection Sara! And I’m totally dying right now thinking of an estate sale with tons of Enids in BOXES!!! I can’t stand it.
    I may have a couple of the replacement jewels you need – I’ll look.

September 29, 2011 at 10:47 am

Betty, you would have gone out of your mind at that estate sale! 🙂 Oh my gosh, if you do have any of those stones please let me know. I will owe you big time! Thanks so much for looking!

September 29, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! I’ve never heard of Enid Collins bags (I must have lived under a rock all of these years). These are fantastic!

September 29, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I am so jealous! That one with the box is just awesome!

By the way, I am pretty sure I had one of these purses, snagged from Goodwill, when I was young and ignorant. I can just vaugely recall it, and I can’t remember what happened to it!

September 29, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Sable – They really are the coolest bags! Be sure to check out Betty’s collection and check them out on the e-Bay too!

Ruth – Thanks girl! Oh no, you had one and maybe didn’t realize what you had at the time? Could it still be somewhere at your Mom’s house?

6. deena Reply

September 30, 2011 at 2:37 am

How timely!
    I found two wooden box bags, my first, at the thrift store a few weeks ago. They were less than $2.00, and looked like they had been plucked from a store shelf – not a mark on them.

One was an Enid Collins, I’m still not sure what the other is. The Enid Collins has lots of bright flowers. The other is darker, and has owls with a pretty twisted tortoiseshell plastic handle.

I’ve been looking online since for others. I’m hooked!

September 30, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Deena – Lucky you!!! $2 is an amazing price to pay for these bags. There were other makers of box bags, but they usually had markings – such as Gary Gail. I believe you could also buy the wooden boxes as kits to put together yourself, kind of like my Jewel Tone Poodle purse in the last pic. Perhaps your other purse is a kit purse?

I know, once you are hooked, you ARE hooked!

8. Kristie R Reply

August 2, 2012 at 1:43 pm

My great aunt just passed away and had the poodle purse–I know nothing about it and would like to sell it- any advice you have for me would be great. Thanks Kristie

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 2, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Hi Kristie – My condolences on the passing of your Great Aunt.

Please read my post where I talk all about Jewel Tone Kit Purses, as the Poodle Purse is NOT a Enid Collins bag.

The Poodle bags are popular and if they are in good shape with all of the jewels and sequins they well sell pretty well on ebay or Etsy. You could tag the Poodle bag as “Collins Style”, but it was Jewel Tone/General Crafts that made the kits. I believe these kits came out in the early to mid 1960s. Hope this helps!