Home » Decorating & Home » Shopping » Estates/Garage Sales/Auctions » Salem North Star Score

September 26, 2011

Salem North Star Score

By RetroRuth

I can’t believe I have forgotten to post pictures of this up until now!  Behold! My fantabulous North Star score!

A complete set for 8 plus a serving plate and some other fun extras.  I got this set by a complete stroke of dumb luck earlier this spring. Tom and I were at a city-wide rummage sale in Freeland, which is about 10 mins away from from where we live.

We had almost been through an entire side of town, and hadn’t really found much. A few cookbooks and a few painted tiles, but not much to be proud of. Then we come around the corner, and I see this whole set of North Star sitting out on a table.

“Look, Tom!” I was pointing and whispering excitedly. “North Star! A whole set!”

“Uh-uh.” He was looking at a set of beer signs. “That’s nice, Hon.”

“I am gonna go see what the story is with those people.”

“Sure, sure.” He picked up a golf club and gave it an experimental swing.

I walked over (calmly!) to the table. I sauntered. I looked at a stack of books next to the table. The whole time, the dishes are stacked up high, winking in the sun.  I counted 8 place settings and some other goodies, then saw the price tag. $25. $25!!!!!! I almost peed my pants.  But I didn’t get too excited yet. The tag was one whole place setting, so it might have been priced per set. I waited patiently until the seller finished giving some old lady her nickel in change, and then I made my way over.

“Sooooo….” (Dragging it out makes it sound more casual.) “What’s the deal with the dishes?”

“Oh, those? Yeah, they were in my mother-in-law’s house. $25 for the whole set.”

THE WHOLE SET! I choked. I tried to draw breath to say “I’ll take them!”, when the seller stopped me in my tracks.

“But I’ll take $10 for them, if you just get them out of my house.”

“I’ll take them!” I practically shouted it. The seller’s mouth dropped open. I started waving my arms, “Don’t sell them to someone else! My husband is right over there and he has the money!”

So now they are mine. And they cost me a whole $10.

14 Responses to Salem North Star Score

1. julie Reply

September 26, 2011 at 8:19 am

HOLY CRAP!!!!! It cost me $10 for one cup and saucer set at a vintage store!! Man I hope I can find someone without a clue trying to get rid of their relative’s china!

2. ae Reply

September 26, 2011 at 9:01 am

My aunt had these same dishes. I always loved them. Lucky girl!

3. Uncle Atom Reply

September 26, 2011 at 9:09 am

Ten BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhh Ruth, what a deal!

September 26, 2011 at 9:21 am

Thanks, guys! It was a TOTAL score. I felt a little guilty after buying it. They wrapped it up so nicely, and the husband even carried it out to my car! Is it possible for a deal to be TOO good??? Is there something like buyer’s remorse for a sweet deal, or is that just called guilt? 🙂

5. Lisa Reply

September 26, 2011 at 10:06 am

That is one of my fav. MCM patterns! major score, lucky you!! =)
    and no… don’t feel bad… he got them out of his house like he wanted… =)

enjoy. i’m jealous!!

6. Jeanne Reply

September 26, 2011 at 11:14 am

OMG! Fantastic! I love that pattern and someday would love to own it. I’m not actively seeking it….it will have to present itself to me at an opportune time. Then it will be meant to be. 🙂

September 26, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Ohmygosh. Ohmygosh. Ohmygosh!!!!!! You are SO lucky!!! I cannot believe you got all of those AWESOME dishes for just $10!!!!! Eeeeeeeeeee!!!!! And don’t feel guilty, you didn’t even try to work a deal – they offered! YAY you!!!

September 26, 2011 at 1:46 pm

OMG, Ruth, you are sooooooooooooo lucky!! I wouldn’t feel guilty if I were you, it’s not like you negotiated them down in price – you paid what they asked, and now those sweet, sweet dishes are yours!

9. Charlotte Reply

September 26, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Nice job, Ruth! And I thought I got a good deal when I paid $50 for my china!

10. Lynn Reply

September 26, 2011 at 3:37 pm

TOTAL SCORE!! These are great. I LOVE these dishes.

11. Lorie B. Reply

September 26, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I have several comments to post…but they are all of the nature that could be called “hater” type stuff, LOL

congratulations! They are stunning!

12. Diana Reply

September 28, 2011 at 9:27 am

Beautiful! Wow! Nothing like being in the right place at the right time. What a score!

September 29, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Will somebody call 9-1-1, as I need CPR!

14. Twila Jean Reply

July 10, 2012 at 10:59 pm

This is probably the best post I have ever seen on the internet! how wonderful!!!