Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Cowichans Edition

September 6, 2011

This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Cowichans Edition

Down in Texas it FINALLY dipped below 100 degrees for a few days and that got me thinking about my favorite cool weather thing – cowichans!!  What?  You don’t know what cowichans are?  Well you’re missing out on some serious awesomeness!  I wrote a whole post about them here to get you up to speed.

Anyhoo, my fingers have been itching to get started on some cowichan knitting!  There are loads of awesome vintage cowichan patterns out there and I have quite the burgeoning collection.  Last year I knitted the most adorable squirrel cowichan for Little Betty.

It was a Mary Maxim pattern from the 50’s and was quite easy to work with.  I also have an owl and fawn pattern waiting to be knit when she outgrows this one.

Here it is from the front, before I put the zipper in.

And here’s the back view, after completion and in action:

She really loves it and asks to wear it all the time.  It’s heavy enough to serve as a coat in the mild Texas winters.

So this year mama is getting one!  Here’s the pattern:

The pattern is a bit later, the 70s, but isn’t she amazing?  I am ridiculously excited about wearing it this winter.  The best thing about cowichan knitting is how quickly it goes due to the big needles and chunky yarn.  Here’s my progress so far after a few evenings of knitting:

For you non-knitters out there – that’s a lot.  Stay tuned for the finished product!

Mister Crafter has a pretty awesome collection of vintage cowichans knit by grannys long ago – one with a huge buck head on the back, one with pheasant hunting, and a Christmas themed one.  Do any of you have any amazing vintage cowichans?

9 Responses to This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Cowichans Edition

September 6, 2011 at 11:54 am

The squirrel cowichan is the most adorable sweater ever! I cannot wait to see your cowichan. I hope you knit a poodle in there somewhere! 😉

2. Barbara Reply

September 6, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Betty – are you taking orders??

…and granny’s…well…nah…mom’s maybe…

September 6, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Oh, NICE!! I have a vintage one for Ella for when she gets a bit bigger that I picked up at an antique mall forever ago. I also found a pattern that suits my hubby’s discerning taste (he’s been looking at these as long as we’ve been together and not found the right one, LOL), so it’s good to know that they knit up fairly quickly!

September 6, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Seriously, I’m with Barbara. Somehow make that pattern for the squirrel one into an adult size and you’ll have orders coming out of your ears! Cute!!!!

I have zero cowichans and don’t ever see them here. Maybe it’s too mild in the Winter?

5. Betty Crafter Reply

September 6, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Thanks guys! I definitely don’t knit for pay because it takes too darn long and I have too many other projects I want to do 🙂 But I will give assistance to anyone wanting to learn to knit their own!
    Andrea, what pattern do you have for your husband? I’ve got 2 men’s patterns I want to knit for mine – one with oil derricks and one with sailboats and anchors.

6. Pingback: Preparing for winter… | Betty Crafter

September 7, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Betty – the one I found that finally met with my husband’s approval is not a vintage one, but one I found online that is a replica of the one that The Dude wore in the movie The Big Lebowski, LOL!

8. Wendy Jackson Reply

November 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm

How did your Cowichan wrap jacket turn out? I’m in the process for ordering the wool from BC.

9. Pingback: The Cowichan Collection | Betty Crafter