Home » Decade » 1960 » Tiki SCORE!!!! Mid Century Witco World Map Globe Picture

September 15, 2011

Tiki SCORE!!!! Mid Century Witco World Map Globe Picture

By Sara In AZ

Mike and I have really not had any time at all lately to browse antique stores. On a recent Sunday we happened to have a free hour, so I thought maybe we could squeeze in a look-see at a store we have not been to in a few years. It was late in the day, close to closing time, so I knew we would have to look quickly.

We started up and down the aisles. Back and forth, back and forth, up and down – no luck. Everything I looked at was SO overpriced it was not even funny. No wonder I like Goodwill so much! I thought this would be a completely wasted effort. We were in the last section of the store, in the basement. I spotted it immediately.

It was just lying on the floor, propped up against the wall, with some other stuff piled in front of it. But peeking out was that wood that is unmistakeably Witco. I was like “Whoa” and ran over to it. I have to say the seller had no idea what they had as the tag said “World Art”. My mind was racing, I knew Mike would think I was insane when I told him I wanted this.  He was practically rolling his eyes at me when I called him over to come look, “Come look FAST honey!!!”  I tried using the argument that “It’s worth A LOT more than what we are paying” but I could tell he was REALLY, REALLY leery. At first I think he actually kind of hated it (I found out later that he thought it was a homemade art project – now he LOVES it). Then, “Where are we gonna put this?” This thing is HUGE. Seriously.

Slowly he caved, but only after I threw a tantrum, then threw myself on the floor and refused to leave until it was coming home with us. Hee! Just kidding y’all!!! We got this for a steal and I never thought we would ever own one because they are SO expensive. We completely love how it looks hanging on the wall in our office.

Here is the Witco Map before we hung it up in our office.

A close-up of some of the wood.

Here is a close-up of the fabric backer. The fabric was is great condition, with no stains or tears anywhere.

Another close-up of the wood.

Here is what the back looks like. It is pretty plain, and no markings were evident anywhere on this Witco.

Ahhhhh, home sweet home. Here is the Witco Globe hanging in our office. Love!

13 Responses to Tiki SCORE!!!! Mid Century Witco World Map Globe Picture

1. Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap.com Reply

September 15, 2011 at 8:37 am

Great score! I love that adrenaline rush of finding something cool in an unexpected place (and an unexpected price!)
    Hopefully Mike will know next time to trust your judgement – Retro Roadhusband has learned, so it can be done 🙂

September 15, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Wow, what an awesome find!! I am lucky that mu hubby usually defers to me when I say something is a great deal, LOL.

3. Uncle Atom Reply

September 15, 2011 at 1:45 pm

What a great find, and investment too!! This has become of my top wish list items right under a really kitschy, gaudy shadowbox/curio shelf with wild angles. Was this one at one of those antique malls in Scottsdale? Last time I was there I found some good stuff in several Central Phoenix and Scottsdale area shops.

4. pam kueber Reply

September 15, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I hate you.

September 15, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Ha ha, Pam! I think I have to second that. 🙂 I was “introduced” to this new Witco over Skype. Sara picked up the call, said “hello” and I immediately started screaming when I saw it hanging on the wall behind her! So jealous!

September 15, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Mod Betty – Thanks! I was SO totally not expecting to find this, so to see it just sitting there was crazy-town! I think after this experience Mike has learned he can trust me, esp. after I showed him what they are going for! 🙂

Andrea – Thanks so much! Usually my husband is pretty ok with whatever I want to get, I think this is just SO huge he was worried where we would put it. Luckily, I figured that one out real fast and now he loves it! 🙂

Uncle Atom – Thank you! It was from Scottsdale. And wait, when were you in AZ??? 🙂 And what did you manage to find??? I need to know!

Pam – I do what I can. 😉

September 15, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Eeks, everyone hates me now! 😉 Sorry Ruth, if I ever see another one you know right where it’s going!

September 16, 2011 at 8:09 am

Glorious!! You’ve been living right, girl. That’s the only way that I can explain your luck. Maybe karma is paid back in Witcos from time to time. 🙂

9. frankieswife Reply

September 16, 2011 at 11:39 am

Thats one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen!

September 16, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Eartha – Hee! I love that – ‘karma is paid back in Witcos’! Let’s hope karma can also be paid back in ghost houses! 🙂

frankieswife – Thanks so much!!!

11. Betty Crafter Reply

September 19, 2011 at 9:34 am

I’m so jealous I can’t breathe.

September 20, 2011 at 3:39 am

Breathe Betty, breathe! 🙂

13. Marcie Baker Reply

January 16, 2012 at 1:32 am

Drooooling over that! Did you post how much you got this lovely for? Enjoy!