Home » Decade » 1950 » Vintage Attachments – For Vintage & Non-Vintage Sewing Alike! Part 2

September 13, 2011

Vintage Attachments – For Vintage & Non-Vintage Sewing Alike! Part 2

By Andrea

Two weeks ago, I brought you Part 1 of this sewing tute, in which we covered the Hemmer Foot, the Binder, the Ruffler, and the Seam Guide, as well as how to identify what type of attachments your machine needs.  Here’s a few more attachments to help you identify what you may have with your vintage machine!

The Edge Stitcher

The Edge Stitcher

The Edge Stitcher

Unfortunately, the edge stitcher with this machine is missing the part that would attach it to the machine in place of the presser foot, so I haven’t tried this particular one.  However, the way that it works is that you can feed your fabric and/or trims through the various slots, and it keeps them in place, while stitching neatly on the edge.

The Adjustable Hemmer

The Adjustable Hemmer

The Adjustable Hemmer

The adjustable hemmer will make hems from 3/16 to 15/16 wide.  To use it, you loosen the screw, adjust it to the desired width, and tighten the screw.  You then place your fabric in the hemmer, draw it back and forth a few times, and once the hem is formed, start sewing, and feeding your fabric into the hemmer as you go.  This is another one that can be a real timesaver once you get the hang of it!

The Tucker

The Tucker

The Tucker

The Tucker can be a realt timesaver if you’re making something that requires a lot of tucks.  To use it, you need to set the two scales on it.  The smaller scale near the needle expresses the width on the tuck in eighths of an inch, and the larger scale expresses in quarter inches the spacing between the tucks.

The Buttonholer

The Buttonholer

The Buttonholer

The Buttonholer in Action!

The Buttonholer in Action!

I hadn’t tried a buttonholer until recently, when I stumbled across one at the local thrift store for $1.50.  Lo and behold, it did actually fit this machine, so I finally got to play with one.  Let me tell you, these make the nicest buttonholes ever!  I even prefer the buttonholes it makes to the ones that my computerized, auto-buttonholing machine makes.  Not to mention, it’s really quite cool to watch it work.  Since these vintage machines were straight stitch only, the buttonholer basically moves the fabric in the manner needed to make the buttonhole.

Singer also made a zigzagger and a blind hemmer that work basically the same way as the buttonholer, however I haven’t been able to get my hands on either.  I don’t think they were as common, and as such the ones online seem to go for big bucks.  I am hoping I will happen across them at a garage sale or in the thrift store one day!

I hope you found these posts helpful!  If you’ve got any questions, please leave them in the comments, and I will do my best to answer.  Also, if you’ve used any other cool attachments for your machine, I’d love to hear about them!

10 Responses to Vintage Attachments – For Vintage & Non-Vintage Sewing Alike! Part 2

September 13, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! Great post! Love sewing machines with all the bells and whistles!

I’ve never used a button-hole attachment, but it looks like fun. Sure beats doing them by hand, eh?

September 13, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Saaaable! Thanks! Yes, although I can sew darn near anything by machine, I often don’t have the patience for fiddly handwork like buttonholes.

3. Camille Reply

September 14, 2011 at 1:06 pm

My first buttonhole ever was made with a Singer buttonhole maker like this one. It sure spoils you for anything on the machines these days. The hole are so perfectly bound and very nice. I still use my mothers attachment to this day when I need a nice buttonhole.

September 15, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Camille – agreed! The buttonholer definitely makes a far superior buttonhole to today’s machines, for sure.

5. margie Reply

May 26, 2013 at 7:27 am

Hi,
    I’ve got the tucker, 5/64 foot hemmer, adjustable hemmer, ruffler, Binder Foot. I was wondering if you have guides for any of these and if you’re able to email them to me please?
    Thank you!
    Margie
    p.s thanks for your post it has been enlightening!

6. Jenna C. Reply

October 3, 2013 at 9:15 am

This is was so incredibly helpful. I bought a Singer 15-91, along with 2 boxes of attachments, a month or so ago and have been having a hard time figuring out what’s what – even with the manual. Thanks!

7. Stella Reply

November 27, 2013 at 12:17 pm

It is very helpful to know about the vintage attachment of the sewing machine. Before reading this site in internet, I was not sure of the usage of the attachment as the vintage sewing machine was passed down from my mum.

It will be very much beneficial if it is shown in video how to use the various attachments.

8. Cora Wilson Reply

October 21, 2014 at 11:47 pm

I have some vintage attachments that are the top clamping style. Can you tell me if these only fit certain machines or if there is a way to use them on any low shank machine. I have two vintage Singers, two vintage Necchi’s, a vintage Wards and a vintage Kenmore.

9. Karen Pauli Reply

December 29, 2016 at 3:22 am

The best thing about the button hole attachment is that the button hole size is governed by a cam that you insert in the bottom of the attachment, so they all come out exactly the same. It also allows you to do keyhole shaped button holes for coats and suits. The button hole attachment I have for my mother’s 1951 White Rotary works the same as the Singer attachment I have for the Model 66 at the Makerspace. I think they can even share cams. The Singer model shown comes with five cams, and you can buy another set of four more sizes. I even have a stray cam that I found somewhere for the White that lets me sew eyelets for lacings. Another factor you forgot to mention is that because the attachment moves the fabric back and forth sideways as well as feeding forward and backward, you have to be able to drop or negate the feed dogs. These buttonhole attachments come with a metal plate that attaches to the bed of the sewing machine with a screw and covers the feed dogs. If you are using the attachment on a model it wasn’t intended for that does not have the option of dropping the feed dogs or if you are missing the cover plate, cut a flat piece of plastic from the side of a gallon or half gallon milk jug. Cut a small hole in the center for the needle to fit through and tape it down to the bed of the machine with something like blue painter’s tape that won’t leave adhesive behind. That will negate the feed dogs on any make or model. You can also use this trick for doing free-motion embroidery.