Home » Culture & Media » Vintage Holiday » Halloween » This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Halloween Costume Edition

October 4, 2011

This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Halloween Costume Edition

By Betty Crafter

It’s October and you know what that means…time to frantically obsess over what Little Betty should be for Halloween!  Last year she was a little lady gnome in a hat I knitted and a dress I sewed.  My theory as she starts to get older and choose her own costume is that she can be whatever she wants as long as I get to make the costume.  No plastic costumes!  But this year when I asked her what she wanted to be, she said candy (little cutie is just starting to get the Halloween idea!).  So I decided I can choose her costume for one more year.  I have 2 vintage costume patterns I thought could work, even though they’re a size too big:

50s cowgirl or Holly Hobbie?  Oh the torture!  Two very good options.  I ultimately decided to go with the cowgirl for a couple reasons.  One, she’s already got vintage boots and hat:

Two, I’ve been hoarding this lovely old pink barkcloth pillow cover in a western print:

Really, what other choice did I have, amiright?  Since I don’t have much of the barkcloth I thought I’d use it for the yoke and sleeve cuffs on view 2.  So off Little Betty and I went to the craft store for coordinating fabric and some pearl snaps.  I do it right, y’all.

The blue cotton with brown dots is for the rest of the shirt, and the tan corduroy is for the skirt and bolero.  Little Betty personally picked out the paradise pink for the bias trim – nice job Little Betty!  Not bad at all for a 2 year old!  The contrasting top stitching on the corduroy will be in the same pink.

So, I know this is a bit of a tease, but you’ll just have to stay tuned to see the progress on her costume!  This is going to be quite the undertaking I think…

What were your favorite Halloween costumes from your childhood?

12 Responses to This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Halloween Costume Edition

1. KDA Reply

October 4, 2011 at 9:52 am

I was Laura Ingalls one Halloween back in 1980. I’m pretty sure my mom used the Holly Hobby pattern.

2. Christina Reply

October 4, 2011 at 10:04 am

That Holly Hobby pattern is a blast from the past. I’m pretty sure that my mother made me that exact pattern as a child. I adored that dress! Can’t wait to see how the cowgirl outfit ends up.

October 4, 2011 at 10:08 am

Betty! I think I actually HAVE that Holly Hobby pattern tucked away somewhere. And that cowgirl pattern is truly beyond cute. I can’t wait to see Little Betty!!

October 4, 2011 at 10:58 am

Just too cute for words! Makes me want to have a little girl to dress up!

Wish I could find the photo of me dressed in a cowgirl outfit from back in the 50s.

5. Brie Reply

October 4, 2011 at 11:39 am

I can’t wait to see the finished costume! Adorable!

6. Pingback: A Halloween Costume for Little Betty | Betty Crafter

October 4, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Oh, that`s going to be so cute! My favourite thing to dress up as when I was a kid was a punk rocker. Unsurprising that I grew up to be a punk rocker in my teens and early 20s, LOL.

8. Betty Crafter Reply

October 4, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Thanks guys!
    I actually think my mom used that same pattern too – to make my rag doll costume when I was 4. Maybe I’ll do the same for Little Betty next year!
    Anyway, I’m excited about this one. I’ve never used pearl snaps before – we’ll see!

October 4, 2011 at 10:30 pm

What an adorable costume, I can’t wait to see it!

10. Angela (Cottage Magpie) Reply

October 5, 2011 at 4:14 am

Holly Hobbie! Genius! I am a horrible person and am going to have to copy your brilliant idea. Because I mean, really — I could dress my 2yo girl as a witch with a tutu or something equally popular at the moment, or I could dress her as HOLLY HOBBIE.

It’s no contest really.

I’m so excited.

Thank you for letting me be a big copycat (not that I give you choice. Ha.) I know it’s bad karma, but I can’t help myself. Holly Hobbie!

• Betty Crafter Reply

October 5, 2011 at 9:23 am

Angela, I’m so glad I could inspire you! Please check back with us so we can see pictures of your little cutie as Holly Hobbie!!

11. 60's Sal Reply

October 6, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Oh my Gosh!! I also had the Holly Hobbie dress with a pinafore and bonnet!! I wonder if my mom kept the pattern…