Home » Decade » 1950 » Vintage 1950s Retro Turquoise Bar Stools from Dee Manufacturing

October 20, 2011

Vintage 1950s Retro Turquoise Bar Stools from Dee Manufacturing

By Sara In AZ

I had been eyeballing these retro Turquoise Barstools forever. I thought they were priced kind of high at $75 for the set, so I decided to leave them behind.

And then I thought about them ALL the time! 🙂

I’m sure y’all know how that is. Right??? Have you ever regretted leaving something behind and then went back and it was gone. SO not good!

I got the itch to go back and see if they were still at the antique store recently, and there they were! Just waiting for me!!! I thought it had to be a sign that we were meant to have them if they were still there after all of this time.

So, I approached them with an offer of $40 for the set, and the antique store called the owners of these lovely little barstools. It was an agonizing wait, those 10 minutes or so, but they came back with an offer to sell them at $45 and we took it!

I just love the legs on these barstools. So funky and retro looking.

Here is the swiveling mechanism on underneath the seat. These babies swivel like nobody’s business!

Here is the original manufacturing label from DEE MFG. CORP. You had better believe I will NOT remove this tag, I sure don’t want to get arrested y’all!

I really wish some kind of date had been printed on these old labels, I would love to know exactly when these were made.

The original turquoise vinyl is in GREAT shape on these stools. There are no rips or tears anywhere. I don’t know if it comes through that well in this picture, but those are little gold specs all over the vinyl. So cute!

I think $22.50 each was a pretty decent price for these barstools!

They are definitely keepers!

19 Responses to Vintage 1950s Retro Turquoise Bar Stools from Dee Manufacturing

1. deb Reply

October 20, 2011 at 6:41 am

Great find, Sara!

October 20, 2011 at 8:29 am

These are the greatest, Sara! That vinyl! Those legs! I am very jealous. 🙂

• Sara in AZ Reply

October 20, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Thank you Ruth! Isn’t that vinyl super sweet!

October 20, 2011 at 2:46 pm

What a find! I am amazed at the condition that the vinyl is in – you’d swear it was brand new! What a good price you got on them, too, wow!

• Sara in AZ Reply

October 20, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Thanks! I know, I was really surprised that the vinyl was in such good shape too. I guess they weren’t used that much???

4. Heather Reply

October 20, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I don’t even HAVE a place in my house to put barstools, but I’m jealous of this find!

• Sara in AZ Reply

October 21, 2011 at 11:56 am

Hee! Heather, neither do I, but we bought them anyway!!! We just put them in 2 corners of our kitchen and they look great anyway.

October 21, 2011 at 10:35 am

Super great deal! And in the best possible color ever. Persistence and patience really paid off.

• Sara in AZ Reply

October 21, 2011 at 11:58 am

Thanks so much Eartha! I do love me some turquoise AND a great deal! 🙂

6. Betty Crafter Reply

October 21, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Another great score by Sara! You’ve got some luck girl!
    I had a killer set of 3 barstools in my shop – gorgeous, 50s, black legs similar to yours, square seats with pristine coral upholstery with black and white speckled piping. A design show came in over the weekend and bought them and paid top dollar. But I heard them say they were going to recover them. I almost threw up…

• Sara in AZ Reply

October 22, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Thanks Betty, that is very kind of you to say!

Please tell me that it was all a dream and the designers who came into your store are really NOT going to rip off the awesome original upholstery on those barstools!!!! I just did throw up. 🙁

7. Uncle Atom Reply

October 22, 2011 at 11:41 am

Sara, those stools are really great, and I think that was a very fair price. Nice score!! Now you need to find a small bar for them 🙂

October 22, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Thanks so much Uncle Atom! I really love those stools a lot and you are SO right – we need to find a bar to go with them, or a retro dream house with a bar in it already!

9. Tom in upstate NY Reply

November 25, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Hi Sara, I have seen your picturesof the stools and wanted to tell you that I have 4 stools made by the same manufacturer with the same tag under the seats. They were in the basement of my house when I bought it 11 years ago.My chairs have a wire back and orange seat covers,however only 2 swivel and they are in ok condition,some rust on the lower legs and a couple of them have wear splits on the edge of the seat.

• Sara in AZ Reply

November 25, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Hi Tom, Thanks for the comment! Your stools sound just lovely, and you got them with the house for free – awesome!!! 🙂

10. Pingback: Kool Kitsch For Sale on eBay | No Pattern Required

11. Sara Reply

April 13, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Love the stools! Do you have any information you could share about Dee Mfg Corp? My sister has a beautiful swivel vanity chair with a similar label as yours by Dee Mfg Corp. It’s dated 1926. I can’t seem to find anything about this company online! 🙁

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 13, 2013 at 11:05 pm

I’m so sorry Sara, I do not. I searched everywhere I could after I bought these stools and came up with nothing about Dee Manufacturing. By the sounds of the date on your sister’s stool they were around for a pretty long time though…..so I am surprised we can find no info on them at all – bummer.