Home » Decade » 1950 » My Retro Mid-Century 1950s and 1960s Starburst, Teak and Brass Clocks!

November 3, 2011

My Retro Mid-Century 1950s and 1960s Starburst, Teak and Brass Clocks!

By Sara In AZ

I saw Uncle Atom’s recent post on his FAB vintage clock collection and I thought it would be fun to share my vintage clock collection with y’all too!

I got all of my clocks a long time ago, before the whole mid-century craze, so prices were a whole lot cheaper back then – and no one really wanted them at that time either! Go figure!!!

Our first clock is actually the biggest one we have! It measures a whopping 3 feet across and 3 feet tall! Eeks!!! It is made by Robert Shaw from the Lux Time Division. I got this from an estate sale I found by accident one day. The house was SO sweet, with a full-on vintage kitchen with all turquoise appliances. I was in love with that kitchen!

100_2625

The next clock is a Seth Thomas Starburst/Sunburst clock. This clock I got by complete accident, I swear! hee! We had gone to a house to look at some Heywood Wakefield and I saw this clock hanging on the wall. I inquired if the clock was for sale and what do you know – it was! Sold!

100_2641

This clock I actually found in a thrift store probably 10 years ago. I have never seen this funky triangular design before and I thought it was pretty cool. This clock is marked ‘Welby’.

100_2633

We cannot forget my Mad Men Sunbeam clock, I did the post on here.

100_1289_00a

Lastly, the ubiquitous teak Starburst clock. This clock is marked ‘Westclox’.

100_2631

5 clocks isn’t too many, is it???            smile

14 Responses to My Retro Mid-Century 1950s and 1960s Starburst, Teak and Brass Clocks!

1. Rachael Reply

November 3, 2011 at 9:57 am

I have started to pick up quite a few clocks too and just acquired my first Seth Thomas! It is a Speed Read clock and has rolling hours, minutes, and seconds. It’s on my latest blog post if you would like to check it out.
    Not that they are difficult to find, but I think I am going to pick up one of those GE school house clocks for use in my kitchen.
    Enjoyed the post 🙂

• Sara in AZ Reply

November 3, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Thanks for the comment Rachael, glad you enjoyed the post! Your Seth Thomas clock is really cute and I am sure will look even more fab when you refinish it!

November 3, 2011 at 10:44 am

Okay young lady, you never have an excuse to be late for an appointment! 🙂 Mister Kitsch is a bit obsessed with clock collecting too. I love them all but that Seth Thomas is amazing!

• Sara in AZ Reply

November 3, 2011 at 12:43 pm

HA! You are so right Eartha, I should never be late again! Seems like I always am though. 🙂 Thanks on the Seth Thomas clock, but I know y’all have some really amazing clocks too!

November 3, 2011 at 12:29 pm

That Seth Thomas clock blows me away! Wow!

• Sara in AZ Reply

November 3, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I know Ruth, there is something about that clock isn’t it! I was kind of drawn to it the minute I saw it. Thanks!

November 3, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I think my fave has got to be the Mad Men Sunbeam clock! I’ve never been too lucky in the way of finding clocks, I have a reproduction George Nelson Starburst clock, and a rather cool vintage teak Sony alarm clock/radio.

• Sara in AZ Reply

November 3, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Thanks Andrea! I think those repro George Nelson Starburst clocks are totally cool and I would love to see pics of your teak Sony clock – that sounds way cool!

5. Uncle Atom Reply

November 3, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Wow Sara, that’s a great collection, I love them all, and the prices you paid, wow! Thanks for the shout out too

November 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Thank you Uncle Atom! You have some pretty special clocks as well!

7. Betty Crafter Reply

November 6, 2011 at 1:19 am

Ok, Sara, it’s official. We must go shopping together. I am now convinced you have the best shopping karma in the world. You have reached shopping nirvana.

• Sara in AZ Reply

November 6, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Hee! You are too funny Betty! 🙂 Whenever we make it down to the sales again we will totally go shopping together!

8. amanda Reply

January 16, 2014 at 9:47 am

I have the smae clock as the first one you listed! its an amazing clock and is perfect over my mid century castro convertables curved couch. My dad found mine though, and dropped 160 on it. Which is 10 more than i spent on my awesome couch! You stole yours! Lucky!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 16, 2014 at 7:53 pm

It’s SUCH a cool clock Amanda…and I am sure it looks FAB under your curved couch….lucky, lucky you to have a Dad that will buy you such nice gifts!