Home » Culture & Media » Vintage Holiday » Halloween » This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Halloween Success Edition!

November 1, 2011

This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Halloween Success Edition!

By Betty Crafter

I did it y’all!  And it’s a masterpiece.  The darn western shirt almost sent me to the loony bin, but I made it through with mistakes small enough that most people wouldn’t notice. I thought the collar was giving me fits – but that was because I hadn’t gotten to the sleeve cuffs yet.  Sweet mother.  But I pushed through and made some shortcuts creative adjustments and all was ok in the end.  Little Betty loved her costume and got oohs and ahhs from all who saw her.  And I must say she looked pretty darn adorable.

I love the contrasting topstitching on the bolero and the skirt, and Little Betty loves the pockets.  I think the skirt and shirt will definitely be re-worn.  In fact, I would consider making more of these skirts.  And, now that I know how the shirt goes together, I wouldn’t mind having one 🙂  Also, isn’t it funny that a pattern that is 60 years old can result in an outfit that does not look dated at all?

Now that that’s over – on to the Christmas crafts!  I’ve got a serious Santa fixation going on here….

8 Responses to This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Halloween Success Edition!

November 1, 2011 at 12:17 pm

OMG!!! That outfit turned out adorable and little Betty is just the cutest little cutie pie ever! Great job on this fab western outfit Betty! I’m sure little Betty got quite the candy haul last night! 🙂 Can’t wait to see what you’ve come up with for Christmas!

November 1, 2011 at 12:42 pm

OMG Betty, that outfit turned out so, SO cute! Little Betty looks utterly adorable! I am betting she got lots of candy since she looked so super cute!

And there’s nothing wrong with “creative adjustments” at all, hee! I definitely use them frequently!

3. Pingback: Halloween Costume Success! | Betty Crafter

4. Kirk Williams Reply

November 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm

That is fantastic! She could be a tiny Dale Evans! Reminds me so much of pictures I’ve seen of my mom in the late 40s – early 50s. Really, really cute.

5. Betty Crafter Reply

November 1, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Thanks so much guys! Yes, she actually did get bonus candy from several houses just for being cute. She had such a great time. This morning the first thing she said was “How bout later I put on my costume, go more Halloween? Dat sound good?”
    And I will definitely put this on her again! She loved it – kept saying “yeehaw!” totally unprompted.

• RetroRuth Reply

November 2, 2011 at 10:49 am

Oh my gosh, she is just so adorable! LOVE the way it turned out!

6. Jennie from Mrs Beckinsale Reply

November 2, 2011 at 12:16 am

That is the most adorable outfit I’ve seen this year. Well done you for conquering that vintage pattern!

7. Jitterbug65 Reply

November 2, 2011 at 6:16 am

Well done! Fabulous job!
    I spent many hours dressed as a cowboy as a kid. Oh happy days.