Home » Decade » 1950 » Picking A Paint Color For Mom’s 1950’s Time Capsule Condo

December 1, 2011

Picking A Paint Color For Mom’s 1950’s Time Capsule Condo

By Sara In AZ

Well, now that Mom has the condo we all have to decide on what to do first! We decided picking a paint color is tops on the agenda! We need to get most of that white outta here y’all!

Hmmmmmmmmm, how do we ever choose ??? There are so many wonderful and lovely colors to pick from.

I know, I’ll ask Eartha Kitsch from Ranch Dressing with Eartha Kitsch  for help! Help, Eartha!!! Eartha is a master at creating her own custom paint colors and when Mike and I were visiting with the Kitsch’s a year ago I really admired the lovely colors she had painted in her own home.

Eartha gave me samples of two colors she used in her home that she thought would go well in the condo. Since Mom isn’t quite as into the wild 50s colors like I am (but still wanted color) we thought it would be better to have an overall paint color toward the lighter aqua blue, with some nice bright turquoise in the bathroom.

Here are the paint samples, on the condo wall, that we made from the swatches Eartha sent us.

One is a lighter blue color and the other is still blue-ish, actually, but leaning more to the green. Right away Mom went for the light blue!

Here is the light blue color, that Mom choose, in Eartha’s dining room. Oh Eartha, your house is just lovely!

Here is the paint code, from the top of the lid, if anyone else wants to try this awesome color!

For some of the other paint colors we decided to go with the Suburban Modern Paint Collection by Sherwin Williams.

sub mod

Here are the colors we thought we initially thought we would paint in the bathroom. I thought the light gray would be a nice accent on the walls, and the turquoise we all wanted to use on the vanity.

hol turq pearl gray

And we thought we would paint all of the trim, in the bathroom and the rest of the house, in this color.

Here are all the color swatches on the wall of the bathroom. You can just barely make out the Porcelain color, on the wall, under the gray.

Here is the turquoise paint on the vanity, which is the only place we planned to use the turquoise.  I thought it would be a nice pop of color and would look nice against the yellow tile.

Ultimately, we nixed the light gray paint color for the walls. The gray mixed with the turquoise seemed like it would make the bathroom feel dark and cave like. Not so good for a bathroom! We needed to make a decision quickly as to what other paint/color to use for the bathroom walls, so we all decided to just go with white since the vanity was so big and would be so colorful. We went with Behr since it was cheaper and easier to get.

Mike and I  had used Behr in our own house, in the past, and thought it would work out ok here too. We went with Behr Ultra Pure White.

We also nixed using the Porcelain Sherwin Williams color for any of the trim. I wound up hating it for a trim color, as it had to much pink in it and just wound up looking really horrible. We went with the Ultra Pure White for the trim too.

So, we have made our paint color decisions! Come back next Thursday to see our paint prepping fun!

13 Responses to Picking A Paint Color For Mom’s 1950’s Time Capsule Condo

December 1, 2011 at 10:04 am

Sara! Eartha! Are there numbers for those custom colors, or how did you get them mixed? Did you have to do color matching??

Also, I know what you mean about the Porcelain from Sherwin Williams. There are some places where it looks really good (like with orange & brown) and some places where it looks terrible! Glad you checked out how everything looked before you started painting away! 🙂

• Sara in AZ Reply

December 1, 2011 at 10:09 pm

There isn’t really any numbers for the colors Ruth. These are kinda custom colors that Eartha just made up all on her own actually. She painted some pieces of cardboard with each color, then sent them to me and I had some samples made here so we could test the paint on the walls.

Thank God we tested the Porcelain color before we started painting everything!!! I would have passed out cold!!! I guess I should have asked you first! 🙂

• SeattleAmy Reply

December 4, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Oh man, I need to get those color samples!! I’m always on the hunt for the perfect retro colors! My house built in 1958/59 looks pretty traditional on the outside, but I’m all about retro on the inside!!

Where did you have the samples made? Can you snap a picture of the lid with the make up so those of us can try them out? LOVE them!

I don’t know anyone that does gray…cause let’s face it in Seattle? Gray is ALL we have 10 months of the year! But I’m itching to redo my main bathroom and I’m totally in love with the other colors!

• Sara in AZ Reply

December 5, 2011 at 2:59 am

Hi Amy, thanks for the comment! You can have the samples made at any place that has paint available – like Home Depot, Lowes, Sherwin Williams etc. I had my particular samples made at Sherwin Williams. I do not have the green/blue paint sample codes anymore only the light blue paint codes. I will post a photo update to this blog post later in the week with the picture of the lid of the light blue paint can with the codes. Let us know if the paint works out for you!

2. Betty Crafter Reply

December 1, 2011 at 11:13 am

I admire your preparation! I’ve never bothered to paint a swatch on the wall in my life. Which has resulted in paint colors I’m not always thrilled with. Looks great so far!

• Sara in AZ Reply

December 1, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Thanks!!! I have to admit Betty, this is the very first time we have ever painted swatches either. It really saved us from some bad choices in the end though, and I would totally do it again! 🙂

3. Erin Reply

December 1, 2011 at 12:48 pm

We painted our den/office holiday turquoise. I love it- it’s so cheery! I really like it next to the yellow tile. Your mom is a lucky lady!

• Sara in AZ Reply

December 1, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Erin, my Mom is a super lucky lady isn’t she!!! And the Holiday Turquoise color is SO FAB, I really love it!!!! I’ll bet your office looks fantastic!!! Stay tuned to see all the bathroom cabinets painted out in turquoise, I think you are really going to like it! 🙂

December 1, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Glad I could help, mama! You have me on the edge of my seat to seeeeeeeee!!

December 3, 2011 at 9:45 am

I love that Holiday Turquoise! Good color choices/unchoices, Saraaaaa and Mom!

And Eartha, you and I need to chat. I need color and I’m not sure what to do!

• Sara in AZ Reply

December 3, 2011 at 11:33 am

Thanks Sable!!! I definitely think we made the right decisions!

Do you want me to send you a piece of cardboard painted with Eartha’s light blue? Let me know! Everyone who see it LOVES it!

December 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Great colours! I loooooooooove turquoise, so I definitely think you made an awesome choice for the vanity. That light blue is gorgeous, too! I can’t wait to see the finished walls/vanity!