Home » Decade » 1950 » Prepping For Paint in Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

December 8, 2011

Prepping For Paint in Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

By Sara In AZ

I’ll just bet y’all were hoping for ALL of the “after” condo renovations photos this week, weren’t you??? hee! Well you know what, y’all are just going to have to live through all of the pain and thrills and highs and lows with me. This renovation process literally took months out of my life, so I just have to show everyone all of the tedious details that now make this place my Mom’s home.

Wow y’all, prepping for paint is messy business! It’s been a good long while since Mike and I painted our house so I had kind of forgotten that prepping for paint takes FOR-EV-ER!!!!! The taping, the window covering, the spackling, the caulking……………………………ugh!

I suppose it took even longer in here because there was tons more patching and spackling to do since it was a rental. There were holes in the walls and cracks along the door trim and baseboards and numerous other things that had to be taken care of before we could actually start painting.

I think Mike was actually getting concerned about 2 weeks in, when I still had not started painting!

Here were my best friends for those 2 weeks! Meet Mr. Spackle, Ms. Caulk, and Mrs. Sandpaper! Let me tell you, they would not leave me alone! hee! By the end of our time together I was completely ready NOT to be BFF’s anymore!

Here is my Mom cleaning her little heart out. We figured we had better scrub those walls down before we put down any paint on them at all.  Go Mom!!!

100_1534 100_1536

The bathroom was another story all together in prepping for paint. You see, we had to remove those cabinet doors if everything was going to get painted properly. I thought “No problem, we’ll just unscrew the hinges and the doors will come right off. Ha! Was I ever wrong……………

See how there is like 800 layers of paint over the hinges (no lead, just A LOT of crappy paint). Well that pretty much blew any chance of just unscrewing the screws. ugh…………I could tell this one was going to be a complete time killer. Mike devised this intricate plan involving screwdrivers and hammers and drill bits and chipping paint off of the hinge screws and slowly working each and every screw out. This took, oh, only about 3 or 4 hours. Let me tell you, it was a complete blast. Not!!! We couldn’t just rip the doors off, so this was the only was to do it.

And YAY!!!! We did it!!! All the doors are finally off!!!!

Pssssttttt, see my little friend Ms. Caulk, she is waiting right there for me. hee!

Soooooo, now we were left with these huge indentations, in the cabinets, where the hinges once were. Look great, right?!?  ugh. Well, you know what that means — sanding…………let me break out that holster y’all!

And we’re sanding………………………..

And we’re still sanding……………………..

And let me take a minute to introduce our little friend Kilz Primer to everyone. Yes, we primed the whole entire condo with Kilz before we painted anything.

And success! Here is the vanity all primed with Kilz and ready for Holiday Turquoise! YAY!!!

Mike also installed new baseboard in the kitchen before we did any painting.

And just look at what a super blast we are having getting all this primer on the walls!!!

Come back next Thursday when we will continue the renovation fun y’all!

19 Responses to Prepping For Paint in Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

December 8, 2011 at 10:06 am

Oh, I do feel your pain, Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, Miiiiiiiike and Mommmmmmmmm!!!! Nothing worse than prepping, but, it sure is worth the time and trouble!

So, I’ll wait impatiently.

• Sara in AZ Reply

December 8, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I know, prepping takes so darn long. ugh! But, it totally had to be done. Thanks for being patient with me! 🙂

2. Jeanne Reply

December 8, 2011 at 10:14 am

I can’t wait! I love seeing stuff like this and I love/hate the anticipation! haha. Do heat guns work on getting all that paint off the hinges? I used one on my bathroom window and the paint just bubbled up. It’s hard to concentrate the heat into just a small area, though.

• Sara in AZ Reply

December 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Thanks for the comment Jeanne! I know, the anticipation is a real killer isn’t it?!?! We wound up just buying new chrome hinges, as these hinges were too messed up after having to practically destroy them to get them off of the doors. Stay tuned though, we did use a heat somewhere else in the bathroom………………….oh the anticipation! 😉

December 8, 2011 at 10:52 am

Ugh! Sara! Soooooo much work!!! I totally feel for you guys. And yes, I am totally excited to see the finished pics!

• Sara in AZ Reply

December 8, 2011 at 3:00 pm

OMG!!!!!! SO much work. It was almost overwhelming at times and I thought we would NEVER get done. But we did. And just you wait, you are going to love it! 🙂

December 8, 2011 at 10:56 am

Gah, I can smell all of that Kilz from here! I also like your industrial sized bottle of Pine Sol. Y’all are ready to do battle!

• Sara in AZ Reply

December 8, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Ha! That is so funny that you noticed the HUGE Pine Sol bottle! 🙂 We figured we were gonna need the “big” size for all of the cleaning we needed to do here. I think I can still smell that Kilz too! 😉

December 8, 2011 at 12:31 pm

You’re such a tease, Sara! Here I am, anticipating seeing maybe a peek of the Holiday Turquoise vanity, but no luck, hee! I am amazed that you managed to get all of that paint off of those hinges, wow. Impressive!

• Sara in AZ Reply

December 8, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Uh-oh, sorry Andrea. We will get around to the vanity soon, I promise! 🙂 Well, we didn’t actually get all the paint off of the hinges, only enough off of the screws to get the hinges off. We wound up buying new chrome hinges because these hinges were just too far gone. So, we are really not that impressive. 😉

• Andrea Reply

December 8, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Ahhh, I would say the fact you managed to get those hinges off without ruining the cabinet is still impressive!

• RetroRuth Reply

December 8, 2011 at 5:53 pm

• Sara in AZ

December 8, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Awwwww, thanks guys! I really appreciate that! 🙂

6. DrJulieAnn aka The Modern Retro Woman Reply

December 10, 2011 at 12:56 am

After reading all of this, I want to go take a shower just to get all of the prepping dust off of me!

I’m totally ignorant of the process so it was helpful to me to see the agony you had to go through. I will appreciate the “reveal” that much more!

• Sara in AZ Reply

December 10, 2011 at 1:30 pm

HA! I felt SO dirty all the time, doing this prep work, it was crazy! And we haven’t even gotten to the floor removal yet! Just wait, that is coming up in another 2 weeks. That was horrible.

I guess that is really why I wanted to show ALL of the stuff we did to renovate this condo, even the boring stuff, so everyone could see what we went through and what we did. Even though we weren’t ripping out anything the process is long and tedious when you are trying to do it right.

7. DrJulieAnn aka The Modern Retro Woman Reply

December 10, 2011 at 2:50 pm

“when you are trying to do it right.”

That is one thing I deeply appreciate—that you are really trying to do it “right” instead of just a quick and dirty job.

• Sara in AZ Reply

December 10, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Thank you so much for acknowledging the “trying to do it right” Dr JulieAnn! We really knew there was no other way. This was to be my Mom’s new home, and she has been through a lot lately, and we really just put everything we had into the place. Let me tell you, we would be the WORST house flippers in the entire world! 🙂

8. Pingback: Painting The Bathroom Cabinets Holiday Turquoise in Mom’s 50s Time Capsule Condo | No Pattern Required

9. Pingback: Painting The Bathroom Cabinets Holiday Turquoise in Mom’s 50s Time Capsule Condo – Thursday Retro Rewind | No Pattern Required