Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage Crafty » This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Looking Forward Edition

December 27, 2011

This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Looking Forward Edition

By Betty Crafter

Do y’all think it’s a little crazy that I’m already planning out my craft projects for the coming year?  Please, someone, tell me you do this too.  Anyhoo…I’ve got some great things queued up for next year, and I hope you’ll be excited to follow along with me as I create breathtaking examples of handiwork  and/or cry in frustration and humiliation at my ineptitude.  Here are some things you can look forward to!

I have decided I am ALL ABOUT matching Christmas sweaters.  Yes, I am that person.  Next year, Little Betty and her cousin will be sporting these beauties in their picture with Santa:

Aren’t they glorious?  There will also be a new baby cousin who will get something coordinating – maybe a vest or pinafore with the mushroom.

Mama needs a Christmas sweater too y’all!  I think this one would be perfect:

Watch out Mr. Crafter.  You’re next!

I’m also pretty excited about this rad pamphlet Retro Ruth sent my way:

The owl and kitty puppets are making my crafting fingers twitch!  I’m thinking about getting Little Betty a puppet theater for her upcoming birthday, so it’s a perfect excuse to make an army of these.

I have been pretty enamored as of late with 60s paper mache art, so I was beyond stoked to find this:

A Gemma Taccogna inspired candleholder!

And I’m not sure if “perky” is the word I’d use to describe this cat, but I still want to make it.  Pointy, yes.  Demonic, maybe.  Perky, definitely not.

Lastly, I’m pretty geeked up about Andrea’s upcoming Mad Men sewalong right here on No Pattern Required. I’ve even got my fabric plan down!  Anyone else in on that?

9 Responses to This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Looking Forward Edition

1. KirkW Reply

December 27, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Oh my! Do these ever bring back memories! My mom was quite the crafter in her day. I don’t remember if she had any of these acutal craft books but that Perky Painted Cat looks vaguely familiar. . .

December 27, 2011 at 1:36 pm

That cat kinda scares me! 😉 You might be terrified after you make it and have to send it away like the clown! hee!!!

LOVE the elf and deer sweaters.

I can’t wait to see the Mad Men sew along!

• betty crafter Reply

December 27, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Sara, I’m going to send BOTH the clown and the cat to you – just a little gift from the Crafters 😉

3. Kristine Reply

December 27, 2011 at 2:32 pm

*squeal*..Paper Mache! Right up my alley! Oh I love your book! and I like the devil cat too. lol..
    You’re not alone, I blogged (http://kitschnsinkstudio.blogspot.com) about my new year project too! and my Christmas present, the antique rabbit chocolate mold is waiting for me to experiment with paper mache.
    I can’t wait! Paper Mache Easter Rabbits for Everyone!! 🙂 LOL..

December 27, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Betty! I am glad you are excited about that book! When I saw it, I immediately thought of you and Little Betty and how much fun you guys would have making those puppets! Can’t wait to see them and all your other little crafties.

Oh, and I am also really excited about the sew-along! Eeee!

5. Jen O Reply

December 28, 2011 at 10:32 am

paper mache bracelets? I remember making them using tuna cans as the bracelet form, and dipping string in white glue for the designs–too much fun! (I would venture a guess that glue gun wiggles would suffice in place of string for this now)

December 28, 2011 at 12:25 pm

The puppets -definitely. Can’t sew so I’ll just have to watch y’all sew along!

January 2, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Betty! That reindeer fair isle sweater looks awesome, and I can’t wait to see the jewelry – that’s something that I have never attempted! Glad you’re excited about the Mad Men sewalong, details coming soon!