Home » Decade » 1960 » A Mad Men Sewalong! Peggy’s Perfect Red and Blue Skirt

January 17, 2012

A Mad Men Sewalong! Peggy’s Perfect Red and Blue Skirt

By Andrea

It seems like forever since Mad Men has been on, but now that the premiere date for season 5 has finally been announced (March 25th!), I am definitely thinking Mad Men again!  So, what a perfect time to start our Mad Men sewalong.  The inspiration for this is this outfit that Peggy wore in S4E11:

Peggy’s dress is utterly cute, and classic enough that anyone could pull it off today!  That being said, when I came across Simplicity 6495 in a thrift store recently, I thought it would be the perfect pattern to whip up an inspired skirt!

Want to sew along with me?  There are copies of this pattern available on Etsy.  In addition, most of the major pattern retailers made similar ones that would work for this sewalong.  So, if you can find something close, you’ll be good to go.  Can’t find one in your size? Threads Magazine has an excellent article explaining how to grade up a pattern.  We’ll have to modify this pattern a bit to accommodate the two colours, but don’t worry, it’s easy and I’ll explain how to do that in my first post.

You’ll also want to have your fabric purchased and ready!  Suggested fabrics are cottons and blends; pique, gabardine, gingham, linen, silks, synthetics and blends, poplin, lightweight wools and blends and flannel.  I am going to do my skirt in black and off white, using a suiting.

So you’ll have lots of time to get your supplies, the sewalong will start on Feb 14th.

Any questions, let me know in the comments!

23 Responses to A Mad Men Sewalong! Peggy’s Perfect Red and Blue Skirt

1. Laura Reply

January 17, 2012 at 11:22 am

Total fun! I’ve got my sewing machine out for service, but I’ll see if I can get it up and running again in time. Or I might be tempted to live vicariously through your blogging about the project. Love this idea!

• Andrea Reply

January 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I hope you o get your machine up and running in time, Laura! :-)

2. Sara In AZ Reply

January 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm

OMG!!!! How did I miss Mad Men was starting on March 25th!?!?! Thanks for the heads up Andrea!

Oh gosh, I wish I could sew better – I would join y’all in the sew along. I cannot wait to see how everyone’s dress turns out!

January 17, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I can’t sew a stitch but am happy to see your projects! I remember when I saw Peggy in this dress on the show. I started jabbering on about it while the actors were talking (which is SUCH bad etiquette). It’s got a bit of a cheerleader vibe to it which I love.

• Andrea Reply

January 17, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I think this dress made darn near everyone talk during the show! I can remember my hubby telling me that it was such a cute dress and that I should make one like it, hah.

4. Vickie Reply

January 17, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I’ve never watched Man Men & actually never even heard about it till I started following some vintage blogs but I’m certainly going to get in on the new season for sure! I so envy those of you who sew. I never had the “passion” for it. Made one dress – once – in high school home ec class (in the 60’s). It was the simpliest pattern I could find -a “shift” – pink gingham. Basically all you had to do was sew up two sides, cut out a neck & arm holes & it was done. I hated all the pinning & stuff. Just no patience. But it’s going to be fun watching y’all do this.

• Andrea Reply

January 17, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I think sewing is definitely one of those things that you love or hate, Vickie! It’s definitely something that requires patience for sure.I a glad to hear that you’ll be following along anyway, though :-)

January 17, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Oh man, I am so torn for this one! I want to make it, but this type of skirt would be terrible for my body type. Andrea, if I want to do the sew-along, but make a different skirt, can I do that?

• Andrea Reply

January 17, 2012 at 2:24 pm

For sure, Ruth! At the end of the day, the point is really to make a skirt that you’re gonna wear – if you know it doesn’t suit your body type, definitely pick something else! It’s actually a fairly basic skirt pattern, so you should still be able to follow along with something that’s more suited to you.

6. Jeanne Reply

January 17, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Man, nobody had a bust bigger than 36″ back in the day? Or all the larger size patterns were well used and all that’s left from the 60s are the smaller sizes. LOL I bought the only pattern that would fit me. It’s not a skirt, but a jumper/dress. I probably won’t do the sew-along, but I’m now motivated to at least start sewing something! I’m not up for re-sizing any patterns.

I LOVED Peggy’s dress when I first saw it, though. She really started getting more stylish last season. I really love the development of her character more than any other on the show. I will enjoy following the sew-along to see what everyone makes.

• Andrea Reply

January 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Jeanne, I think people were pretty tiny back then, LOL. I think of how petite both of my grandmothers were, and then I think of my 5’11” self, and it’s no wonder I have to resize all of my vintage patterns, hah! What’s the pattern brand/number that you got? I am curious to see :-)

7. Kristine Reply

January 18, 2012 at 9:55 am

I’m IN!!! although, I do shudder at the thought of skirts w/ waistbands. aren’t we all so spoilt with the ease of todays fashions? lol..so I went a’lookin and put-in my 99 cent bid on this little A-line number that’s similar in style. http://www.ebay.com/itm/300649072815?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&autorefresh=true If I’m outbid I have back-ups..lol. what can I say??…I’m cheap! :D..

• Andrea Reply

January 18, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Oooh, that’s super cute, Kristine! I hope you win it!

8. Kristine Reply

January 18, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I’ve been finding lots of cute ones. Have you noticed patterns sold as “Mad-Men” style are running waaay more expensive?
    perhaps I should go thru my stash and cash-in now? ..nah! I my vintage patterns too much.lol but seriously, I had no idea till now..Holy smokes!!
    Kristine~

• Andrea Reply

January 19, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Yeah, it is amazing what some people charge! I do sell some of mine, just to keep myself from becoming a total pattern hoarder, heh.

9. Betty Crafter Reply

January 26, 2012 at 10:59 am

I’m in too! I’ve got the pattern, now I just need to get some fabric. I’m thinking grey with red skirt inserts. Or maybe some vintage barkcloth…
    How much fabric do you think we’ll need for the skirt panels?

• Andrea Reply

January 26, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Ooh, barkcloth would be super cute for the inserts, Betty! Since the inserts are only on the front, you’re not going to need much more than the length of the skirt. If you want to be sure, I’d get a yard, but you can most likely get by with about 30″ or so.

10. Kristine Reply

January 28, 2012 at 9:57 am

I have my pattern now..(yep! I won the 99 cent bid) :) lol
    question.. does anyone have a good online fabric source(s) for vintage-inspired fabrics.(Im thinking linen since spring comes early in Georgia)..Im one of those unfortunates who don’t live near a fabric store..bad irony, since I live in a shuttered mill-town. blah..
    other than that, I’m ready to rock n-roll! :)
    Kristine~

• Andrea Reply

January 28, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Kristine, you could check out Reproduction Fabrics (http://www.reproductionfabrics.com/) – I am not sure offhand if they have anything in linen, though. Try Etsy and Ebay as well though, I’d try a search for vintage or retro linen and see what you can find!

11. Kristine Reply

January 28, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Hi All,
    well, I did some fabric browsing, and the more I think about it..not so sure about my choices..Heres a link to my blog about the sew-along where I’ll be sharing my progress. Feel free to comment..lol :D

12. Kristine Reply

January 28, 2012 at 2:52 pm

13. Pingback: Mad Men Sewalong – Peggy’s Perfect Skirt – Part 1 – Pattern Prep and Cutting | No Pattern Required

14. SusanD Reply

January 22, 2013 at 10:59 am

I LOVE fabric.com. They have everything/anything you could want for any sewing project. I usually do a search for ‘retro’ and then have a hard time picking out a favorite :)